The army of Spires; assembly time

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: The army of Spires

#91 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The guys at the club use Vallejo paints, they seem happy with them.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#92 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:The guys at the club use Vallejo paints, they seem happy with them.
I'm a fan. And the range doesn't change every few years, unlike a certain popular one around here.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#93 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Experiment away good Sir!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Gorbatjorven

#94 Post by Gorbatjorven »

The red and white looks great! When I started to paint my own HE I had just got back into WHFB and at that time and I didnt have much faith in my painting skills, so I played it safe and chose the white and blue. Now, 8 years later, I regrett that decision a little bit :P It would have been fun to paint something different than the standard colours. Oh well, can't go back now :P Anyway, keep up the good work! :D
[i][b][color=#0040FF]Proud member of the Mage Knight Guild[/color][/b][/i]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#95 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Pretty simple to go back actually, but it can be a lot of work ^_^'
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#96 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the comments Gorbatjorven. The plan definatly is to keep going. The next unit is slowly being assembled (I can tell you, the old metal PG are a pain to glue together...), and I have ordered a bunch of new stuff from the new book. Slowly but surely my backlog is disappearing...

As for going back and changing your colorscheme, I wouldn't like to do so. I'm more of the idea that once a unit is painted it can stay that way. I have more then enough stuff left to paint. So I'm not looking at redoing stuff. Perhaps when all is painted... ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#97 Post by Prince of Spires »

A sneakpreview for Asurion. Lots of stuff, non of it mine (I already took out my order...)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#98 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay !!!
:3

Can you tell I'm excited.. ?

A big Thank you.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#99 Post by Prince of Spires »

sneak preview of some of the work in progress. Normally I would just put up the finished model in a few weeks, but this is the first model I've painted with my airbrush, so I can do with some feedback :) It's by no means finished, but the airbrush part is done for now. I'll start some highlighting / drybrushing on it later, and of course those lovely snowflakes... I have some ideas for them, I'll see how they turn out.

Anyway, please let me know what you think. Tips and tricks are of course also welcome.

Rod

Check out my plog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#100 Post by Prince of Spires »

Also (yes, I know I'm double posting...), with the new book, the list of models owned/assembled/done has changed

index:
- finished
- asembled/in progress
- just owned

Characters
- Mage (elemental)
- Dragon mage
- Mounted BSB (plastic prince / bsb kit)
- GW noble (plastic prince / bsb kit)
- eagle mounted prince / bsb (secret santa)
- Caradryan (metal)
- Eltharion on Stormwing
- Dragon (half metal)
- Mage (IOB)
- Griffon (IOB)
- Loremaster
- Alith Anar (metal)

Core
- 16 archers, FC
- 8 archers (plastic monopose)
- 16 spearmen, FC
- 8 spearmen (plastic monopose)
- 16 spearmen
- 8 archers (metal)
- 10 LSG (Island of Blood)
- 20 LSG (metal)
- 5 Elyrian Reavers (IOB)
- 8 ER, FC (metal)

Special
- 10 SM, FC (latest metal)
- 10 WL, FC (latest metal)
- 5 SW, champ (latest metal)
- 26 PG, FC (metal)
- 1 Lion chariot
- 1 Tyranoc chariot
- 10 DPs, FC (latest metal)
- 2 SW, (previous metal)
- 5 SM (metal)
- 5 WL (metal)
- 10 SM (IOB)
- skycutter

Rare
- RBT
- RBT
- RBT (last metal version)
- 2* GE
- 27 Maiden Guard, 2* fc
- phoenix

By my count 246 models, 108 done, 49 in progress and 89 left to go.

Last update: Alith Anar added

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#101 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Keep up the good work Rod~
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#102 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the encouragement Ele :) I'm getting there slowly but surely. I have 26 PG in progress, and when they're done (almost...) I'll have more models done then still in the box. Which hasn't happened since when I bought my third box of models or so I think...

Anyway, frostheart phoenix is done :) As said, it's the first model I've painted largely with my airbrush, which was loads of fun. More of that will definatly follow.

Picture time

Let me know what you think

Rod

Check out my plog

solith

#103 Post by solith »

I like the colours you've used. I like the pattern of light to dark that you chose to use. (I think your choice of where to put light and where to put dark is one of the better options that I've seen on Frost Phoenixes) I like that you've kept the snowflakes fairly muted. I like that the beak is also blue - it makes the Phoenix look even more magical.

However... it looks flat. From what I can tell (having never used an airbrush myself) is that the airbrush tends to paint the bumps and the dents of the model equally, and when the bumps and the dents are almost exactly the same colour/shade you lose the definition (definition in this case meaning the exact 3D shape of the model) of the model and it looks flat. Compare that to painting using a brush, and you use the bumps and dents as the guide for exactly where you shade and highlight the model - so you exaggerate and enhance the definition of the model.

What I think this model needs is some (more?) dry-brushing or some washes, possibly both. In either case I'd suggest going carefully - start with a shade reasonably similar to the paint already on that section and slowly build it up until you're happy. Then I think it'll look truly amazing. :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
lordoftheshadows

#104 Post by lordoftheshadows »

Great paint job. I really like the contrast between the tail and the head.

I agree with solith that the model looks a little flat. Did you consider outlining the feathers with black? Also I think the feathers at the front (the white ones) are too white.
Words to live by:
Live for ever or die in the attempt.

The motto of my master (Zaros) may he rest in peace.
Proud member of the Mage Knight Guild.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214[/url]
The Prince of Death
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#105 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the encouraging words lordoftheshadows and solith. :)

That is definatly some solid advice. I'll see about trowing some heavy drybrushing at it. I'm a bit afraid (if that is the right term...) to use washes on it in that it has the risk of dulling down the crisp colors it has now. You have given me a lot of ideas how I can improve what needs to be improved and still keep the strong points intact.

@solith: you're right that an airbrush is a bit less discriminating between bumps and dents then a brush can be. At least when they are as subtle as the feathers of the phoenix are. Judging by the different things I've seen from people who are a lot better with an airbrush then I am, once the bumps and dents get a bit bigger you can achieve some amazing effects...

Rod

Check out my plog

Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#106 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Great looking Frostheart.. =D>
I like the pallet you chose, I also agree that the white feathers on the front on the wings looks a little flat, a light wash might solve the definition issue, I think a very light/pale blue could work without adding to much colour to the white.

I also like how high the model is, very natural to see a flying model up so high. :3
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#107 Post by Prince of Spires »

Picture time!

I tried to follow the advise I got from people here to improve the frostheart. It's a bit hard to judge perhaps, since they're not the best photos. Any improvement?

On a (very) slighty related note, another unit done. My unit of 26 PG is finished. Pretty happy with how they turned out. And, my first use of an airbrush on a model (done before the above frostheart...). Just to do the red basecoat these model started with. But it was a start.

Apart from being happy with how the unit turned out, but with this unit done I actually have more models finished then still in a box. :) Victory!

Comments and help, tips and critique is very welcome.

Rod

Check out my plog

Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

#108 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

That Frostheart is looking fanstastic! The only thing I have to say is that, and maybe someone or you already covered this, the colors seem backward, meaning dark at the front and going to light. Either way, it looks awesome!
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#109 Post by Aicanor »

Nice looking unit, and exactly what we'll need against our dark cousins' new book it seems.
Malhandir's Feed wrote:That Frostheart is looking fanstastic! The only thing I have to say is that, and maybe someone or you already covered this, the colors seem backward, meaning dark at the front and going to light. Either way, it looks awesome!
If the ice were translucent then probably yes, as cold fire it would be brightest where this model is - but no one ever said it has to be either way. I like it like this.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#110 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:
Malhandir's Feed wrote:That Frostheart is looking fanstastic! The only thing I have to say is that, and maybe someone or you already covered this, the colors seem backward, meaning dark at the front and going to light. Either way, it looks awesome!
If the ice were translucent then probably yes, as cold fire it would be brightest where this model is - but no one ever said it has to be either way. I like it like this.
@Malhandir: pretty much this. I decided to go for a flaming "ice" fire look for the phoenix (since he is basically an older version of a flamespire, which is also flaming). And with fire, the "natural" order is from white at the hottest, central part to black at the end, though painted fire often gets this backwards (which can look great and even more natural sometimes).

This was the logic I used on the frostheart as well. White at the central part of the model and as the flames trail behind the model they get darker, going to black at the ends.

@Aicanor: the PG already got a test run (when they weren't fully finished yet) in a game vs warriors of chaos. They performed great in a unit of 15 and where the stars of the match for my side of the table (though in this case that meant that they were one of the last units to die but they at least managed to kill stuff ;) )

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#111 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Looks like the halberd blades could use a bit more work mate. This new airbrush thing really seems to have quickened your pace!
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

#112 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Ah, that makes sense! I really like it as it is, my brain just said something seemed off. Its awesome. Does anyone know what the cost of airbrushes are for things like this?
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#113 Post by Prince of Spires »

You can pretty much make airbrushes as expensive as you want, from what I've seen.

For airbrushing you need
- airbrush: these come in a huge price range. Most experienced users will tell you that you need the expensive ones. I have no idea. I got a pretty decent used one. Going from memory €75- ish
- compressor: got mine second hand for €50. Nothing fancy, but good enough for starting out
- accessories (think hose, cleaning equipment and stuff): € 65

You can go cheaper of course. Especially on the airbrush (they start at something like €25 for cheap chinese ones). And second hand stuff can help keep the cost down (a new compressor for instance starts above €100 easily).

Another thing to factor in is new paint. From my trying stuff out, getting airbrush paints realy does help getting the hang of things. Not 100% nescesary, but it does make life easier. A lot. Vallejo does great ones, which are not more expensive then GW paints. But if you already have a fully stocked paint collection, then it is extra cost.
Malhandir's Feed wrote: I really like it as it is, my brain just said something seemed off.
:)
The trend does seem to be to start dark at the front.

Rod

Check out my plog

tinman

#114 Post by tinman »

Great Phoenix.. Nice job, especially since it was your first time with an airbrush.

As for buying an airbrushes. It all depends what you want to do with it. Once you start using one you are going to want it to do more and more. I just got another and it was about $300, but I don't think you need to start there for your first one. Mine will be able to do a 1.5mm line, but if all you want to do is base coat you van get one just as Rod said.

Also, you can use your GW paints with an airbrush. Just mix it with a water/alcohol (9:1) solution. And go 5:1 solution to paint. But it kind of depends on the air pressure you use on your compressor. That ratio will work fine at 10lbs. of pressure... With 5lbs. you need to go 7:1 solution to paint..

Hope that is useful.

TM
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#115 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks tinman. I realy enjoyed using the airbrush. It's a bit a different way of working. And mechanical toys are always fun to play around with. Any tips / tricks you feel like sharing?

As for paints: you can definatly use GW paints, or any other paint for that matter, in an airbrush. It's just that when starting out, getting the hang of an airbrush is difficult enough. Having to worry about paint dilution and flow rates, airpressure etc just makes it more complex (and means you end up spending a lot of time cleaning your airbrush ;) ). Especially if you have no clue what the paint is supposed to look like (like I did when starting out). So getting a few airbrush paints eased the learning process for me a lot.

And I agree that once you find yourself using your airbrush more and more you'll probably want a better, more precise one. But when starting out, you can go a bit cheaper. There is some great starting models around the €100 price point I think.

@Ele: I'll have a look at the halbert again. You're probably right in that they could use some more work. I got "tired" of the unit though and so took a lazy shortcut with them. I'll probably have to revisit them at some point.

The airbush did help quicken the pace. Getting a (red in this case) basecoat on in under a minute per model is a lot faster then the few minutes you would normally need. And with 26 models that realy adds up. 15 min vs 1 hour+. But it's also a matter of just applying butt to chair and painting stuff.

Now, what to paint / assemble next?

Rod

Check out my plog

Jimmy
Centurion

#116 Post by Jimmy »

Great looking Frost Phoenix Rod, well done! I've got two I've still got in the boxes just waiting to paint up with an airbrush which will be the first time I've ever used one so your post was a bit of an ice breaker (no pun). :D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#117 Post by Prince of Spires »

Glad you've found some inspiration in my posts, Jimmy. :) I'm looking forward to the results of your airbushing.

Time for another update. 2 character models this time.

The first is a model I started painting something like 2 years ago and never got around finishing. Finally picked up my brush and got him done
Image Image Image

The other model is a metal Caradryan. I started painting him together with the rest of the PG (since he is one himself after all), which explains why he's finished this soon after the PG. I personally think this is my best model yet. I'm happy with how he turned out. I hope it can heb seen from the pics a bit.

Image Image

Rod

Check out my plog

NexS

#118 Post by NexS »

It's fantastic to see the scale of improvement on all your models as I got throught the pages. For me, that's what it's all about!
I love the idea of airbrushing the phoenix. That first picture of the FrostyBird was great, and I think I'd have left the colours as they were(with the near-black at the end) as I feel it gives it a very cold look. I may have to steal that idea when I get my own phoenix!
How did you do the design on the PG banner?
It looks great! Also, Caradryan is one of my favourite models as well. You've done a good job! It's just a personal preference, but I used green stuff to make his halberd flaming (as the fluff suggests) and I think it turned out fairly well, though with your theme a blue flame might stand out more!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#119 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the kind words NexS. I'm glad you see some improvement. I do agree with you that it's part of the fun, seeing your models evolve. Problem is of course that the old ones look a bit "outdated" next to the new ones. I just can't be bothered to touch them up a bit.

Feel free to steal my phoenix design :) His back atually still is black, though it doesn't show in the latest photo's I think. Not the best lighting probably. He is an ideal model to practise airbrushing on. It's a relatively straightforward model where a color transition works great. Lots of fun.

For the PG banner I actually cheated a bit. I got the transfer sheets from GW, so I had the phoenix ready to stick on. A bit of paint to give it some more depts and a rune (well, actually a greek letter) and that's the banner.

I love the Caradryan model. He's just very bad-ass looking. The greenstuff idea on his halbert sounds great. I should have thought of that earlier ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

NexS

#120 Post by NexS »

I feel the same way about my old spearmen models! Though I am very slowy getting around to repainting bits of them.
If i get a chance, i'll take a photo of what i did with caradryan and post it up here, might give you some ideas - I've also flamed-up my dragon's base which I'll snap and show as well!

That IS a bit of cheating, but it looks effective so it doesn't matter too much!
What's next on the painting table? I'm keen to see more.
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]