Eagle Riders or "count as" ideas

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Eagle Riders or "count as" ideas

#1 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

I am looking for some ideas for eagle riders. My first option would be to get two of these:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Great-Eagles

And then try and mount some elven knights on top. They are beautiful miniatures and would add some nice looking models to the collection.

Second option would be to use a Griffon rider from IoB, as I have seen it many times and I even have one already. The model is very nice and dynamic and already has a rider so no need to convert it.

I think I still have old HE Pegasus rider somewhere so it might be ready to go too. I don't think I would use existing metal models for GE as they seem to be too small.

What about existing models in other ranges? Maybe it would be ok to convert Bretonnian Pegasus Knights?

pk-ng also suggested that I might go even further and create or buy a model of a knight with wings. Something like this:

http://www.kabukimodels.com/knights-of- ... night.html

or this:

http://www.kabukimodels.com/knights-of- ... night.html

I would appreciate any help in that regard.

Thanks in advance!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Sackree

Re: Eagle Riders or "count as" ideas

#2 Post by Sackree »

You can't go wrong with griffon riders. They are cheap and plentiful on eBay, look great, and only the biggest poop of an opponent would refuse to let you use it as one. I personally love the models so much my great eagles are griffons with the riders clipped off.

It also gives you the option to run griffon riders, the only limit being not eagles and griffons in the same game as that gets confusing.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Yeah, the griffon riders are a pretty decent choice I would say. Cheap and no conversion needed.

Another alternative could be the GW pegasus. Just stick on a HE model and you're good to go.

Or, if you want to go kitbashing, you could search for separate wings. Either pegasus wings or Balrog wings, depending on the look you want.

Of course, you could just use a Balrogif you would want to. Or see if you could put someone on top of him.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

I used the old GW eagle rider. I got it off eBay:

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That's an old wood elf warhawk rider. Still works though.
teep

#6 Post by teep »

I use one of DarkSword "Thief of Hearts" gals, the obvious Mr Griffon from the IoB and soon also
a kitbashed female warrior who could either function as an Anointed on Flamy or as a Noble on
Great Eagle.
For the latter, I've always wanted to use the Hobbit eagles, but since the Skycutter bitz where
needed elsewhere, I had a spare birdie looking for a job. It might come across as a little
too slender for a bulky male hero choice, but in this case the two compliment each other quite nicely :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#7 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I think I will start with griffon rider simply because I have it and it is a very nice model anyway. I have also found this one:

http://wappellious.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... sprey.html

But it seems it is out of stock at the moment. Maybe I will find it somewhere else but I also think I could use it as an inspiration for LotR eagles conversions.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
vespacian1

#8 Post by vespacian1 »

The osprey is excellent! Would love to see it in your army
Loremaster Avarael

#9 Post by Loremaster Avarael »

@Swoedmaster Have you checked coolminiornot.com for alternatives? A veritable plethora of choices there.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#10 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

@ vespacian1

The model is amazing, too bad it is currently out of stock.

@ Loremaster Avarael

That osprey model I linked to earlier (painted by Wappelious) is the one I found on coolminiornot but they don't have it in stock at the moment. Do you have other examples in mind too? If yes, would be fantastic if you could provide the links!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth