Brian Mages Elves - Phoenix, Reavers, Sisters, Helms WIPS

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Finished Archers and Mage Knight WIP

#31 Post by SpellArcher »

Love it!

:)

Original and very effective.
tinman

#32 Post by tinman »

I really like what you have done!! Very consistant throughout your entire army. Can we see some more pics of your Eagle Mage Knight? Please. Very, very cool. IMO, it's big enough to put on a 50x100 base and use the dragon stats for a unique eagle themed army. It could be an Ancient Eagle or a Great Giant Eagle. For the fluff the "breath" weapon could be a scream attack who's effect is like fire. I love using eagles (I have used 4 before) and that model would make a great addition. You have inspired me..
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Mireadur

#33 Post by Mireadur »

those archers are beautiful.

Im holding the praises for the mage knight until is finished :P
Brian Mage

#34 Post by Brian Mage »

Calaedor wrote:Your archers look like they’ve been so simply painted, but it’s incredibly beautiful and fantastic. The way you paint white is fantastic, and i’ll definitely be trying to achieve the same effect. Do your archers take long to do?
Cheers mate, they really don't take long at all, considering how long the others take. I haven't actually timed them , but i did 21 in less than a week, while also doing the Whitelions, a BSB and the Eagle dude. The eagle dude is a cool mini or not model - link is a few posts back
tinman wrote:Can we see some more pics of your Eagle Mage Knight? Please. Very, very cool. IMO, it's big enough to put on a 50x100 base and use the dragon stats for a unique eagle themed army
There will be plenty of pics when they are finished, but the MK was only in his washed stages so i just wanted to post a teaser. I'm not certain how close to "Finished" he'll be for the tournament this weekend and i'm not going to rush him, i think he might not be much past table-top standard, if so, you may have to wait a few more days - :wink:
The eagle army would be a fantastic idea, lead by this model with the scream attack - Awesome!!! Its certainly the right size for a Monster base (I also have the Owl model for my woodelves!)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i was really uncertain about doing wood effect on the bows and axes (to be seen) and i think i'm starting to get the hang of it all now. at least they've stoped looking like a rotten sweet/candy cane!
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
KarsaOrlong

#35 Post by KarsaOrlong »

Brian Mage wrote:The eagle army would be a fantastic idea, lead by this model with the scream attack - Awesome!!! Its certainly the right size for a Monster base (I also have the Owl model for my woodelves!)
Finally convinced the wife to let you get a second one eh? haha.

Your models look fantastic. Are those heads standard on your archers or a lot of greenstuffing? I hate the heads on my archers and have been looking for alternative to pointy helmets or fat heads. Cowls and hoods seem appropriate.
[color=#40BF00][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36123]KO's Painting Blog[/url][/color]
Calaedor

#36 Post by Calaedor »

They’re wood elf Glade Guard heads. Actually pretty cool and I’ve seen them reasonably cheap on a lot of bitz websites.
"Kind of like sleeping with someone before you dump them, except instead of sex its teclis.”
- eriktheguy.
Brian Mage

#37 Post by Brian Mage »

KarsaOrlong wrote:Finally convinced the wife to let you get a second one eh? haha.
Thought i'd be smart and just order it without her knowing. I then got a letter from UK Customs and Excise saying i need to pay £20 import duty - she found that... bad times

The hoods are gladeguard scout heads just glued straight onto spearelf bodies. Simples
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Anvalous

#38 Post by Anvalous »

Your mage knight is indeed a thing of beauty! I actually started working on my own this past weekend and am in love with the model. The archers, as well, are magnificent.

All in all, a great army. Love your work!

EDIT: Any chance we could get a few more pictures of the rider from different angles? Also, how did you go about getting a GW rider to work? Did you start with the provided model (more 32mm scale than heroic 28mm) or did you build your own?
Brian Mage

#39 Post by Brian Mage »

Well due to popular demand...

In stark contrast to my White Lions, this was the most fun model i've ever painted - (maybe it's because i kept hearing Lynard Skynard in my head - widdly woddly widdly free bird)

Due to the bird, i had to undercoat this black, it really affected my painting style. I won't be doing that again for my HE's! The Eagle is done as a half Peregrine Falcon in honour of the little beasty that lives in Manchester City Centre and eats all the pigeons on my way to work - Its always nice to hear DEATH in a morning... :?

The guys on top is very much kit bashed and greenstuffed, erms, lets see...
Legs - White Lion
Torso - Lord/Nobel Kit
Cloak - Mounted Wizard
Inner cloak, lance and face - Dragon kit?
Flaggy bit thingy-me-bob - Noble kit?

I was trying to find some way to sit the guy down so he would be easily removable. That was difficult without him looking like an elf stuck on an ogres arse! In the end, i just pinned him standing up, seems to work ok? Elves have good balance? yeah, its fluffy too!

I am also very pleased with my gardening on this one, especially the climbing roses (yes, thats what they are! :oops: )

The free handing really did get messed up, lots. In the end i just settled. I'm sure at some pint in the future i'll redo it and prob add more over the cloaks etc. However i have this deadline (saturday morning) to meet and am getting very pushed for time. (It looks glossy, but it's just the matt paint-on varnish is still wet)

I only have a few white lion models to do - however i really don't like them at all. I will post them at some point, probably with the final update (friday if i'm done!) Lion chariot, BSB and second archers All very much at the final stages now, nearly time for the gardeners, its just the god dam white lions - i hate the way i've painted them... oh well...

Hope you enjoyed The Mage Knight!

tinman

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Where Eagles Dare

#40 Post by tinman »

That's some very cool work you have done there. Love the whole model - base work, the character and the paint. Superb!! =D> =D>

Where did you get the "roses"?
Andrew_uk

#41 Post by Andrew_uk »

I love your new title, where eagles dare was my dads favourite film. I really like your eagles wings too, maybe on the body feathers behind the head a bit more contrast might make the details stand out a bit? As ever that patterning on the cloak ect looks stunning!
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#42 Post by Elithmar »

I also like the title - 'tis one of my favourite films. The eagle looks really realistic. The pattern on the cloak is also stunningly detailed.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Mentheus of Caledor

#43 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

TBH, everything you do is awesome :)
But that eagle guy is possibly the most badass model I have seen. I love the sense of agility that the standing elf produces - and the eagle itself is huge. Props :)

Amazing work.
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
Navratil

#44 Post by Navratil »

Everything looks wonderful gives me inspiration to get off me bum and start my plog for my newly bought Helves, keep up the awsome work.
High Elves W/L/D 3/0/0
2 Wins Vs DoC
1 Win vs HE
KarsaOrlong

#45 Post by KarsaOrlong »

Are the mage and eagle's eyes the same color of blue. Cause that kind of "psychic"/magic link could seriously explain the standing flying eagle without falling routine.. Though I'm sure the mechanics those old wing walkers in aerial shows applied would be similar, just no steep dives... Wait that eliminates everything thats cool about the Peregrine... Haha :lol:
[color=#40BF00][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36123]KO's Painting Blog[/url][/color]
Brian Mage

Re: Brian Mages Elves - My Lawnmower

#46 Post by Brian Mage »

All good gardeners need a lawnmower - I looked at petrol powered options, but i thought i'd go for a feline version!

I have got this to tabletop standard for the weekend. It's matt varnished, but i'll be touching this thing up in the future. There is a lot of work to do on the chasis. The crew are very basic, and the lions are even more so, they could do with a good few more layers of watered down fortress grey.
I've tried to paint this thing about 5 times. This actual model! it's been gold, wooden, washed dheneb stone, silver... never liked it. three days ago it was golden. If you loo at the first photo on this blog you'll see it very small on the left - it was brown in them days!!!!
The white is not very smooth, but thats because the paint is thicker than the plastic now!

in the words of the littlest hobo, until tomorrow, dum de dumdy dooooo....

Brian Mage

Re: Brian Mages Elves - My Lawnmower

#47 Post by Brian Mage »

just a little update here.

White lions are as good as done for now. Still along way of completed so hence no close ups, but a little sneeky peek to wet the taste buds. No gardening yet, but...

This is prob the last update for a while. Still got some touching up to do, but i've been painting so much recently that i can do with a time off... I currently dream of painting... more nightmares really! :wink:

Thanks for all your comments so far. They really helped me keep my enthusiasm as much as possible.

p.s. yes the core is very small (2 archer units) however my spearelves are to be converted from phoenix guard (a la Hewhorrocks and sarcon) so for the tournament i'm borrowing my mates. he's a professional painter, who most of you all know, so there's very little point in putting them next to mine... makes me feel bad!! ha!!!

KarsaOrlong

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Everyone say CHEEEEEEEEEESE

#48 Post by KarsaOrlong »

Hey Brian,

That all looks amazing so I don't think you have to worry avout one unit of Spearelves showing it up :D. I really really like the 'gardening' it all ties your army together well. I can only hope that all my units together look that good.. The last pieces of the army arrived in the mail yesterday so once they're assembled my painting misadventures begin!

Again that looks awesome!

KO
Chracian

#49 Post by Chracian »

Every so often I'll stop playing high elves for a couple of months or so. Then I look at models like yours and I just have to get mine out again, do a bit more work on them and get them on the tabletop again...those are stunning. The flowers! Brilliant! You are an inspiration, my friend, you really are.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
TheUnhappySasquatch

#50 Post by TheUnhappySasquatch »

How did you make the flowers on the base of your white lion chariot and the roses on the eagle? It looks so so so cool
Sarcon

#51 Post by Sarcon »

Looks really nice. Good luck at the tourney.

I know the painting nightmares. I can imagine trying to sleep, and see all that white armour and clothing flash in front of your mind's eye. That's when you know you've spent too much time on your hobby!

But just to throw in my 2 cents, finish the army while you still paint in this style. The spearelves, how much a pain in the ass they are, when they're done you never have to add a thing to your army again (unless you're like me and think "hey, lets add 10 more archers, 54 white lions and another character" ;) )

Nice army, sweet freehands, and lots of character. Personally I'm not sold on the bases, but it's very creative and unique and it does it's job by tying the army together. Looks like you'l be getting enough softpoints for painting, basing and conversions at tournaments. And hopefully a few BPA awards as wel, because from the looks of it, you deserve one!
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
NightHawk45

#52 Post by NightHawk45 »

I really love what you have done with the white theme. Every time I try painting something white, it ends up looking really bad and non white. Yours however looks so clean and solid and ... well, White! I wanted to see if I could get a few tips from you

In particular, I am talking about the archers.
First of all, I assume that you use a white spray paint to undercoat instead of black.
When you actually apply the white how do you do it?
--Do you use skull white or something else instead?
--How many coats do you use?
Any other tips?

Thanks man. I love what you have done. Keep up the great work!
tinman

#53 Post by tinman »

I love your basing. I NEED to know where you got those little flowers. I NEED TOO KNOW!! :D
Brian Mage

#54 Post by Brian Mage »

tinman wrote: I NEED to know where you got those little flowers. I NEED TOO KNOW!!
Depends on which ones?! ha!
The tall purple one and the climbing roses on the eagles rock are manufactured by a company called NOCH. the flowers are called "laser cut". I got mine from a modelrailway shop online. i think you'll find them on ebay too. NOCH however have massive range, so it takes a while to find what you want.
NightHawk45 wrote:I wanted to see if I could get a few tips from you
Always start from White primer. GW's stuff is fine - a little dusty, but it does the job. I only use GW paints. i've got used to the crappiness and am using it in my favour. The techniques really do vary from part to part tho.
The Archer hoods are about 7-8 very watered down layers. Its about 60% paint, rest water (obviously clean water). its takes a while to dry, but if you 20+ in one go, you'r not waiting too long from when you finish layer 1 on model 20 to be able to paint layer 2 on model 1 (if you get me)
Another thing i've found useful, is to actually use the primer as the start of the blending. so rather that paint fully over the rimer with a base colouyr (say spacewolves grey) and then work up, i just paint very thin white in smaller and smaller parts.
Using a good varnish also helps a lot. I struggle to get Testors in UK, so i'm using Valejio. its fantastic. 2-3 coats -again very thin - any htey look good. you can then pick out detail with 'ardcoat for some shine.
another tip, in some areas, if the surface area is small, its actually best to use "straight out of the pot" skull white on a standard type brush. absolutely flood the bristles with it and rather than paint it on the model, do more of a "push the paint around" action. very small circles and never take the bristles off the model or push down to hard. that way, the thick paint keeps very smooth and drys flat. don't go silly with it tho, it will pool if gravity becomes a factor.
Sarcon wrote: finish the army while you still paint in this style.
cheers - i think i'll have a little time off to spend with the Mrs. she's felt a little neglected! but yeah, i do want it all finished. and i think a big spear block will look great.
Sarcon wrote: And hopefully a few BPA awards as wel
- strage you should say that - i picked up "Best Painted Army" at the tournament - i was very proud! and that was even discounting the spears!
Chracian wrote:Brilliant! You are an inspiration, my friend, you really are.
cheers fella :oops:

Sarcon

#55 Post by Sarcon »

Brian Mage wrote:
Sarcon wrote: And hopefully a few BPA awards as wel
- strage you should say that - i picked up "Best Painted Army" at the tournament - i was very proud! and that was even discounting the spears!

Congratulations! Well deserved - All the more reason to finish the army I'd say ;)
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Brian Mage

#56 Post by Brian Mage »

Well, another tournament is on the horizon (well actually this sunday) and i'm still in desperate need of a finished core to my army!

I really don't enjoy painting, anywhere near as much as making the models... however needs must.

So here are a few semi finished test models for the unit of spears - nuff respeka seleka to thise who inspired this conversion.

I opted for silver helm arms and shields.

and this is about as much effort as i could be bothered with on the cloaks. the folds and creases around the shoulder pads are too small to really warrant highlights, so i opted for lowlighting instead.

I hope to have the unit finished by friday night. 30 of the badgers... not sure if time will allow me to get my gardening on?!?!

korhian the 28th

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Spearelf tests/semi-finished

#57 Post by korhian the 28th »

nice!

only the champion with the brown hair....it looks his hair does not fit with the colour scheme...

and the banner white undecoat, blue wash?, i did it with my dragon(not finished yet) and anothere layer of 50/50 blue black wash what looks real good.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
"right now we can attack in any direction"
ajpieri

#58 Post by ajpieri »

Brian Mage wrote:
KarsaOrlong wrote:Finally convinced the wife to let you get a second one eh? haha.
Thought i'd be smart and just order it without her knowing. I then got a letter from UK Customs and Excise saying i need to pay £20 import duty - she found that... bad times

The hoods are gladeguard scout heads just glued straight onto spearelf bodies. Simples
Do you mean Waywatcher heads? On the GW site, the only models that I see with hoods like this are the waywatchers.
ajpieri

#59 Post by ajpieri »

How do you achieve your white? I used to start by basing black, then bring the color up to white, leaving dark in the lowest spots, but that always looked so dirty. Then, I tried basing white, washing it and then going over the parts I want really white again, but that didn't look smooth enough. So, now I just prime it white and leave it alone. White seems to get a natural shadow if you ask me, but sometimes I would like it to pop for a further distance.

Your white looks pretty smooth and bright, how did you do it?
Brian Mage

#60 Post by Brian Mage »

korhian the 28th wrote:only the champion with the brown hair....it looks his hair does not fit with the colour scheme...

and the banner white undecoat, blue wash?, i did it with my dragon(not finished yet) and anothere layer of 50/50 blue black wash what looks real good.
I agree on the brown. at first it doesn't really fit, but when the bases are finished it should tie it together quite well (hopes)
the banner is as you say, but the image has spacewolves grey base coat. i'll be highlighting the design with blacks, silvers and whites - trying to make it monochrome.
ajpieri wrote:Do you mean Waywatcher heads?
Nah, they are gladeguard. on the sprues there are 10 non=hooded head a la the pics on their photos, and 10 hooded heads. they hoods are really to allow you to make gladescouts, but they fit the spearmen torsos perfectly and mean us HE's can avoid the "Monk-Pudding-Bowl" hair do we currently have!
ajpieri wrote:How do you achieve your white?
To be honest i find each unit type has to have a different way of applying it. The archers, i used very new paint and put it on very thick, very quick. I didn't use the usual paintbrush strokes that one would think. Instead, i used a small/fine brush, maxed the paint on it and really slopped it on and then pushed it around, if you get what i mean.
The cloaks on the spearmen(phoenixguard models) needed a base coat of space wolves and then 4 very thin coats of watered down white.

I very rarely work up from black.