Dan's Host of Athel Loren

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Motley

Dan's Host of Athel Loren

#1 Post by Motley »

Hello All,

A quick introduction. I have been procrastinating on colour scheme for a VERY long time now. I thought I had settled on red and gold (see the either recent topic I started) but then a new guy joined my little gaming group and his dwarfs are using that scheme and I can't be having that! So I started to think a bit more and though green and gold would work. Then the idea of them representing the Elves living in Athel Loren after the events of ET:Khaine came to me.

Looking around the forum I found two threads that are really big inspirations to me:

Gray's Avalorn Army http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35465
Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... err... Elves http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265

Last night I grabbed a couple of IoB Swordmasters and slapped some paint around to play with a colour scheme, this is what I came up with, any comments would be appreciated. Just note that the gold need highlighting a lot more and so does the plume. I tried a few different things on washing the armour some of which didn't work so well. I also left off all the details.

I am thinking I like the all green cloth one the most, although the white looks better than I expected. What I may do is make the under clothes a bit darker still, P3 Thornwood Green if you are familiar with that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Brother Dimetrius

Re: Dan's Host of Athel Loren

#2 Post by Brother Dimetrius »

I prefer the contrast between the green and the (broken) white cloth myself :) In any case, lovely scheme!
Twitter : @BDimetrius
Gray

#3 Post by Gray »

Looking good, Here's a couple of thoughts.
I'd explore, some more complemantrary colours.
I found I dug myself into a hole with dark greens a bit!
I were starting again, I'd go for a brighter green. Here's a example of what I like:

image hosting over 2mb

This great image is not mine :)
Teledor

#4 Post by Teledor »

I dig the green and cream one personally. But I understand if you're hesitant about white - I hate painting white. Another lighter complimentary color might work well though. I plugged in dark green and saw burnt orange and a violet as two complimentary colors if you go with a "triad" of colors. Burnt orange cloth and purple gems could look very unique.

But don't let our opinions sway you!
Motley

#5 Post by Motley »

Thanks for the input guys, I was thinking of trying to bring in a more complementary colour on the gems, or the extra tassels some of the models have, or even the plumes. The hair is something I am not sure of too, I was wondering blond or grey, maybe a just use a sepia wash on whittle or pale yellow? Thoughts on that would be appreciated.

The white is not too difficult to do like that - it is more cream really. Menoth Base and Menoth white highlight from the P3 Range. I just think I want to try and steer away from the colour + white look of the GW scheme a bit.

The green is quite dark as you pointed out. I just have it a quick highlight with a bright green. I could try more olive with it I suppose?

Cheers,
Dan.
Motley

#6 Post by Motley »

I did some more test models last night. Just base coats so far so a little hard to tell what they will end up looking like:

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Gone a little overboard with the gold armour I think. Maybe some different shades of gold or add in some silver bits?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Teledor

#8 Post by Teledor »

Interesting to see them base coated. Hmm, maybe try one with orange robes/cloth and orange plumes and reserve the purple for the gems for a nice dark color contrast?

Once you tone down the gold with washes the all gold should be ok. Silver scales though can be well done as your Blue/white example showed.
Motley

#9 Post by Motley »

Thanks for the responses guys. I was debating posting the base coast as as it can be hard to picture what the end product will look like at this stage.

@ Elessehta of Yvresse, Do you mean in general or just from looking at the latest base coats that have not been toned down? I was wondering that myself to be honest. Maybe do the scales in silver? But then there is still a lot to do on the gold with washes and highlights.

@Teledor, I did wonder about silver scales like the other one.

I do feel that they may be loosing a bit of the 'green' theme, I did wonder about the maroon underclothes and the pinkish-purple plume too?
Teledor

#10 Post by Teledor »

Well.. if you want the green to be your primary color, like the plumes and clothes, maybe swap the orange and green? Burnt orange trim and green robes and plumes with purple gems? Just from what I've seen around, it's always a good idea to keep separate details, like the trim and robes, different colors, otherwise they can get lost.

Green and orange, not so much purple, can give an autumny feel which would go well with an Athel Loren theme. I've seen many a autumn themed wood elves with some fantastic basing.
Motley

#11 Post by Motley »

Here are some more in-progress pictures, with one of the previous base-coated models 'finished'. I also started on the musician with two different shades of green.

Teledor

#12 Post by Teledor »

That finished one above looks pretty darn good. Only thought now is to try out silver scales if you feel the need to tone down the silver. Otherwise, I think a color scheme has been found.
Tarval

#13 Post by Tarval »

That last one looks really great...
Davariel
Chronicler

#14 Post by Davariel »

That finished Swordmaster looks wonderful, especially the purple/orange contrast. An army in that colour scheme would look great!

Have you considered painting the detail on the shoulder/chest armour in a different colour? It might help break up the gold a little.
Scarano

#15 Post by Scarano »

I'm a huge fan of the all green undergarments. Although I am huge fan of keeping ranks of troops simple. My collour scheme (well all gold armour) is very similar. So I really like what your doing.

On another note, I have just cut up an old broom handle to mount my WIPs on. I noticed it in your picture and though it was an exelent idea. So thanks for that :D
My Blog: [url]www.wargamingmywaytoahappierlife.blogspot.co.uk[/url]

Records:
High Elves: W= 3 L= 0 D= 0 Bare with me I'm new to this
Ogre Kingdoms: W= 1 L= 0= 0
Motley

#16 Post by Motley »

Thanks for the comments.

I have no more progress yet as I have a new baby, so things will not move for a little while. I want to finish that one with the light green underclothes as I think it may cl e out quite nicely - think the cover art on the wood elf book.

Dan.
Motley

#17 Post by Motley »

I finally found a little more time to play with these. Two more compared to the original one I showed above.

Thoughts?
Teledor

#18 Post by Teledor »

I think the middle one you previously finished looks great. An autumn scheme to it. I don't think you can go wrong if you go with that one.
Wotfudboy

#19 Post by Wotfudboy »

I like the orange plumage, green edging, but instead of dark reddish robes I would choose a dark grey... orange, green and grey are a good combo in my opinion.
Motley

#20 Post by Motley »

After a conversation on twitter yesterday I decided to try yet another scheme...

ImageImage
ImageImage