Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves - Paint Stripping

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bolt Thrower

Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves

#61 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Anybody else struggle with motivation to paint? Ugh, between work and life I just am too tired to sit and break anything out to work on. I do have all my white lions assembled, so that's a win (especially when they helped me destroy some lizards for the first time in a long time). I may just do some mindless stuff today, like basing the rest of my spears or something--just to feel some progress.

How do you guys motivate yourselves?
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Siegfried VII

#62 Post by Siegfried VII »

I never play with even one unpainted model so when I want to try something new I paint it first. It can be nerve-breaking, but it tends to do the job for me... :)
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
~Milliardo~

#63 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

I put unfinished models on the headboard of my bed... so when I wake up, they're there, when I'm watching TV they're there, when I'm ... well, the point is, they're always there to remind me to paint. They get done that way. :3
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#64 Post by Elithmar »

Siegfried VII wrote:I never play with even one unpainted model so when I want to try something new I paint it first. It can be nerve-breaking, but it tends to do the job for me... :)
I should do this. Otherwise my models'll never get painted! :shock:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Dragonlord Hailthir

#65 Post by Dragonlord Hailthir »

I know what you mean about motivation. I have four kids and house stuff and still need to spend a little time with the wife. My hours for painting are typically 11 pm to till I fall asleep. It's near impossible to make any real progress.

The best advice I can give is, prioritize! Set a list of what you want to get done and in what order. Then set aside a little time each day to get to the top thing on your list. Work on that till the first thing is done and then move onto number two. Make sure that you look for the little achievements each time and that will help keep you motivated to get the rest done.

Also post any progress on here to get feedback and encouragement. This has helped to push me to put in more time into my own army after seeing what everyone else is up to.

I hope this helps some.

Hailthir
Bolt Thrower

#66 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Ok, so I forced myself to sit down for a little bit tonight and do something--ANYTHING. To that end, I pulled out the dragon just waiting for some love. The poor beastie hasn't hit the table nearly as much as she used to, and I wanted to make up for lost time.

So here are a couple of WIP shots. The "hide" and wings have received a basecoat with an initial wash.

Siegfried VII

#67 Post by Siegfried VII »

I think it's good. Keep it up mate. :)
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#68 Post by Elithmar »

Lovely! =D> I think the cream and green go really well together.
Siegfried VII wrote:Keep it up mate. :)
This.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Bolt Thrower

#69 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Thanks, gentleman! Actually did some more tonight. Started the armour and layered up some of the scales.

Mandragoran

#70 Post by Mandragoran »

Dragon wings look amazing! And the dragon.. very, very cool color! :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34777&start=0]My High Elves[/url]

You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways... ~ Lan Mandragoran
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#71 Post by Prince of Spires »

A few things that help me to keep painting are

- I keep all my painting stuff readily accesible. I have everything I need close together and all my paints on a single tray. Set-up time for me is minimal, if I first need to spend 10 minutes finding everything I need I don't feel like doing it anymore.

- A lot of small changes has the same or more effect than 1 big change. Combining this with the above point means that I can get something done if I have 15 minutes left over. It wont be much, perhaps only painting the flesh parts on a batch of models, but if I paint 15 minutes 5 days per week I paint more then if I paint for 1 hour once per week. And it's easier to find 15 minutes then it is to find 1 hour (or to find 30 min - 1 hour instead of 4 hours).

- I sometimes paint in front of the tv while my girlfriend is looking some half interesting show. It lets me spend some attention on her and comment on the show, but still gets some painting done (don't try to do anything too complex though, it's not the best painting position after all)

- Vary stuff a bit. I tend to paint smallish units in one go. I usually split them up in batches of 5's and paint units not much bigger then 15 models. This let's me change things up every now and then, letting me switch between different models and characters / chariots etc.

- stop painting while I'm still enjoying it. I often find that after a while my motivation starts to run out. I start checking my watch for the time, get a drink etc. This is a good time for me to stop. I could perhaps continue painting for another half an hour, but then by the end I'll be sick of it. It's something I do for fun and this keeps it being fun.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
tinman

#72 Post by tinman »

The wings look very very cool. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Jimmy
Centurion

#73 Post by Jimmy »

BT - That dragon is looking great, I'm echoing everyone here though so I won't need to say much more.

On motivation I can offer a few suggestions because it's on aspect of the hobby I struggle with. If I get a model I absolutely love I'll paint it from start to finish with little breaks in between, I've only ever done that though 5 times in nearly 15 years of painting so it doesn't happen often. I've nearly finished painting 8k of High Elves at the moment and the main motivation for me has been to have a game at the end of it using all the models I've painted. That's certainly a good way of staying motivated, put a time stamp on something.

Another great way is to setup a 'reward' system, I haven't got on in place however I have previously used something like for everything 10 rank and file I paint I'll paint a character just to break it up. High Elves are particularly tough to paint because they have more detail than any other race I think as well as colours. Because of this fact its even wise to paint something as your reward that is completely a different race/game system. I'm about to start painting some Orks after my High Elves as a 'reward' before embarking on finishing off my Tomb Kings.

Another really great suggestion is to have some good music/podcast going whilst painting. I find it keeps me focussed and if I don't have something going to listen to after a single coat I'll lose interest and find something else to do/procrastinate.

Also I've found by incorporating the painting/modelling into daily life you can really make some progress. I do a lot of physical training so I add it into my routine. If I lift weights in between my rest sets I'll literally setup something that needs painting or assembly and aim to have it done by the end of the session. All the minutes add up, if you did an extra 15 minutes on your models during the week that's an extra one hour and 15 minutes work. So drag them in front of the tv or computer or whatever you do and get to it.

Another piece of advise (although this can work both ways) is to check out some other peoples work and get inspiration from it. Discovering new techniques that can save time or allow you to paint better quality models can be the next step in making you paint more.

Lastly, if I find I'm severely de-motivated, organise a game and play it (make sure you win! :D ). I find nothing motivates me more than fielding an army that has some unpainted elements to it, it fires me up to get my backside into gear and complete it all.

As you can see I've certainly had some motivation issues in the past myself so hopefully a fraction of this information can help you!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Darkblade001

#74 Post by Darkblade001 »

Some great advice there, I'm juggling 3 different armies at the moment and I'll flit between them all, 5 dawrves here & 8 spearmen there. It works for me anyway.
The dragon looks great so far.
Malossar
Something Cool

#75 Post by Malossar »

Jimmy wrote:

Another really great suggestion is to have some good music/podcast going whilst painting. I find it keeps me focussed and if I don't have something going to listen to after a single coat I'll lose interest and find something else to do/procrastinate.

I'm always torn between super mellow and chill stuff and hard core raging BWARRGGG type music.

I'm currently on a stint with the first option preferring to listen to Mumford and Son's Sigh No More and Incubus' new album, with a little of Dave Matthew's older stuff thrown in to spice it up. Music and painting!
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Deathjester99

#76 Post by Deathjester99 »

How is this coming along?

I am new to this forum and I'm a beginning painter myself (planning to put a thread up some time soon).

I wanted to chip in with a tip for making the gems really stand out - get some gloss varnish. I use the GW one - it makes the gems look like real gems. For my red gems I use Black coat - Dark red (scab red I think) all but the left corner - blood red almost the whole gem except some of the scab red - orange (blazing?) for a little highlight - a dot of white for reflection/shine - and lastly the fantastic gloss varnish!

I found a picture I took of the first Seaguard (and first miniature) I painted. Not the shield at that time, obviously. :)

Hammer

#77 Post by Hammer »

I love your dragon, has there been any progress? If yes pls update!!!! :D
Bolt Thrower

#78 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Deathjester99 wrote:How is this coming along?

I am new to this forum and I'm a beginning painter myself (planning to put a thread up some time soon).

I wanted to chip in with a tip for making the gems really stand out - get some gloss varnish. I use the GW one - it makes the gems look like real gems. For my red gems I use Black coat - Dark red (scab red I think) all but the left corner - blood red almost the whole gem except some of the scab red - orange (blazing?) for a little highlight - a dot of white for reflection/shine - and lastly the fantastic gloss varnish!

I found a picture I took of the first Seaguard (and first miniature) I painted. Not the shield at that time, obviously. :)
It is coming along slowy but surely. I finished basic armour on my sword master command and also recently finished assembling 20 archers for my archer horde setup I am testing out right now.

As for gems, yes the gloss varnish is excellent! I use the GW 'ard Coat and am pleased with it. Most of my pictures lack the detail on the gems as you describe, but as I have become more confident my plan is to go back and touch all of those up again with proper highlighting and of course the varnish.

Nice work on your LSG. I especially like the shaft of the spear. I am leaning towards moving my spears to this type of tone versus the dark brown I have now. I will get more depth that way.
Hammer wrote:I love your dragon, has there been any progress? If yes pls update!!!! :D
Thanks, Hammer! I don't have an update on the dragon right now as I was sidetracked by assembling more core troops. That said I am a bit stumped on colors to use for the saddle and the high chairback of the saddle. Should it be "leathery" or metal or even wood? I am undecided.
Ringîl

#79 Post by Ringîl »

Very nice stuff here Bolt Thrower. Having finally read the whole thing I think you have done a splendid job, and the improvement in painting is visible. I like how you know has gotten in a lot of nice highlights and details. Great work.

I also have to concure that your dragon is excellent. My favourite dragon has always been the forest/green one and I think you have gotten the colours spot on so far^^
Thanks, Hammer! I don't have an update on the dragon right now as I was sidetracked by assembling more core troops. That said I am a bit stumped on colors to use for the saddle and the high chairback of the saddle. Should it be "leathery" or metal or even wood? I am undecided.
I would recommend you paint it in the same style and colours as the dragon's other decoration and armour so that it doesn't stick out. After all it shouldn't steal the focus from the dragon or the rider. :wink:
Jimmy
Centurion

#80 Post by Jimmy »

I think a purple for the 'cushions' would look good against the current colours BT.

X-wing Blog
Bolt Thrower

#81 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Well, I am partaking in the March painting project with a pledge of 10 White Lions. It turns out that I've been painting my house more than anything else--the basement, 2 bedrooms, the window shutters....prepping to put it on the market this month.

Now here I am halfway through the month and only 10 primed models to show for it. Not looking good to fulfill my pledge, but hopefully I can get something more in place than this :lol: Exciting, huh?

Assembled lions:

Primed lions:
Jimmy
Centurion

#82 Post by Jimmy »

Good to see the update BT! Good luck on the house sale!

X-wing Blog
Bolt Thrower

#83 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Jimmy wrote:Good to see the update BT! Good luck on the house sale!
Thanks! Progress is slow but sure...for both elves and the house.

Actually found some time throughout the weekend to make some small progress on my lions. We'll see if I can continue that through this week and finish the month strong!

Mireadur

#84 Post by Mireadur »

Dont worry about the lack of will to paint, i believe everybody has these breaks from time to time. The last year i was painting so hard and consistently through all the year and then in september, with work, i stopped and couldnt grab a brush again until december.
Bolt Thrower

#85 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Here's a quick update. This is a mostly done test model for the 10 white lions on my tile. I am pretty happy overall with the feel of him--I like the blue cloth and the green gems. What I am very unsure of is the kind of purple-ish plume on the helm. Not sure if I should go brighter red like the rest of my army or continue the blue onto the helm as well. Or just keep it.

Nicene

Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves Updated 8.28.2011 Project Hopping

#86 Post by Nicene »

Bolt Thrower wrote:I was the very grateful recipient of 2 boxes of white lions and another box of DP's this past weekend (at no cost to me!!). So, in classic project hopping fashion, I set aside my dragon and began assembling the white lions. I must say, I am really liking the models! In pictures, I never liked the old or new models, but after assembling half a box my mind is changed. I enjoy how they look about to slam into the enemy!
I had this exact experience. The models are excellent and look much better in person than in photographs.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Bolt Thrower

#87 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Well, it's been a while since I've posted in here. Time for projects has been non-existent all through the summer this year. Life just seems to get in the way sometimes. That said, however, I couldn't resist when I saw these Great Eagles from the Hobbit line. I was sitting on some Christmas cash and these were the perfect thing to add to my army.

The unboxing:

Here it is. Two eagles all my own!

Here's what comes in the box. Very simple sprues, good layout--one sprue per eagle. It also comes with these funny round bases--maybe Seredain's lizard friend can make sattelite dishes of them to go with his electrical pylons in their last game :D

Close ups of the two sprues. The largest concern I have is the stability of the talons. They are fairly delicate and glue on just the smallest surface of plastic.

Overall the models look great and have excellent details on the feathers and face of the eagles. After getting them together I'll be able to tell if they are suitable for converting into a mount or not. I have a honey-do list this weekend, but I should be able to squeeze in some assembly time tonight.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#88 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Looks like a pretty simple kit, it would be good to know how good they are scale wise for our characters, or even just as HE Great Eagles.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Rychek
Location: Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like!

#89 Post by Rychek »

Please keep us posted on your eagle project! I nearly walked out of a local shop with that box set earlier today, but managed to not ruin my budget for the month.
Rychek: he who has not an Asur name.
Bolt Thrower

#90 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Some pictures of an assembled eagle next to a sword master. I think the overall scale is just fine and will look great on the table. I'm not sold on actually mounting a model on them though. Just seems like it would look odd. I have another idea on how to represent the eagle mount though that will be more flexible for my model range.

Imageu