Lord Moren's Log (Lion for my chariot added)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Lord_Moren

Lord Moren's Log (Lion for my chariot added)

#1 Post by Lord_Moren »

Here is a couple pics of the first semi-completed HE in my small but growing collection. I still need to figure out how I want to base most of my army but this at least shows the paint scheme fairly well.

(edit: After posting the pics I noticed a couple needed touch ups /sigh they have been fixed.)

And a back shot...

Thanks.
Last edited by Lord_Moren on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Opinions wanted...

#2 Post by Giladis »

It is nice looking.

If you want to continue with the cool theme go with snow.
d-usa

#3 Post by d-usa »

That looks very similar to the theme I am doing for my guys.

Ice Blue/Space Wolf Grey are my base colors, and fluff wise they will be living in a mountain area, so I will try to base them on alpine/snow covered bases.
Mireadur

#4 Post by Mireadur »

i can only suggest to improve the mini is that you leave more grey areas on the white robe. The rest looks very good. About the base... I cant comment since i use gretchin green on mine :p
Bolt Thrower

#5 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Lord_Moren wrote:(edit: After posting the pics I noticed a couple needed touch ups /sigh they have been fixed.)
This happens to me all the time :D

I like the ruin-type bases. But maybe with a really crisp white stone instead of a regular gray color.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Lord_Moren

#6 Post by Lord_Moren »

Mireadur wrote:i can only suggest to improve the mini is that you leave more grey areas on the white robe. The rest looks very good. About the base... I cant comment since i use gretchin green on mine :p
Leaving grey would be tough as there is no grey on the model lol but I can see what you mean.
Bolt Thrower wrote:I like the ruin-type bases. But maybe with a really crisp white stone instead of a regular gray color.
Someone mentioned snow basing and since I am planning to use a good chunk of WL's (like their models better than PG hehe) I will most likely go with a snow/tundra look. Little bit of the grey stone flock overbrushed with some white and a friend pointed me towards something called "SnoTex" that he found at a Michael's craft store which looks amazing on some of his tanks. Am still planning a decking/plank look for my LSG though.
Dragon.Prince63

#7 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

That looks really good. The gold contrasts well with the light blue :D
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#8 Post by Luna Guardian »

I like the armour and the white, but not quite sold on the mane. Maybe you started a bit too dark? Not a bad miniature by any stretch of the word, and I'm looking forwards to seeing more :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Lord_Moren

#9 Post by Lord_Moren »

Luna Guardian wrote:I like the armour and the white, but not quite sold on the mane. Maybe you started a bit too dark? Not a bad miniature by any stretch of the word, and I'm looking forwards to seeing more :)
Yeah it looks a bit lighter in person. I think the mids got over ridden by the highlights a bit. I always find things that need improving when a model is blown up via my camera.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.
Lord_Moren

Re: Lord Moren's Log (Renamed)

#10 Post by Lord_Moren »

Same model but the base is done and I decided to change the gems to green rather than red. Hope to have the other 9 done soon. Am also working on a counts as Eagle.

(edit: resized image)
Giladis
The Merlord

#11 Post by Giladis »

I agree green with this colour scheme goes much better than red for gems.

What did you use for snow on the bases?
Lord_Moren

#12 Post by Lord_Moren »

Giladis wrote:I agree green with this colour scheme goes much better than red for gems.

What did you use for snow on the bases?
I used a product called Snow-Tex. Here is a link to it not sure if you can get it online or not...

http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products.cgi?Snow-Tex
Lord_Moren

#13 Post by Lord_Moren »

Here is a shot of my "Counts as" Great Eagle. It is a repainted child's toy. (Yes I know it's an owl but if people can use baby dragons models I can use an owl lol)

Thrilmamir

#14 Post by Thrilmamir »

I have and use those same Great Owls. For a quarter of the price of a real great eagle, how can you beat it.
Sarcon

#15 Post by Sarcon »

Id paint the base edge of the SM black. Puts more focus on the model. Apart from that great job, looks real nice. Love all of the cold tones, along with the snow, really works :)
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Lord_Moren

Re: Lord Moren's Log (Lion for my Chariot)

#16 Post by Lord_Moren »

This is the second "scheme" I tried for my lion. I tried one in grey's with a blue wash and a final white drybrush but it just didn't seem right.

Elaithnir

Re: Lord Moren's Log (Lion for my chariot added)

#17 Post by Elaithnir »

I like the lion... But a final highlight on the gold and silver could really set it off. Do you have a picture of the grey/blue job btw? Sounds interesting!
Lord_Moren

#18 Post by Lord_Moren »

I don't have a pic of it since it didn't come out anywhere near where it was in my head I scrubbed it. I plan on trying it again on my second chariot cuz I think I know where it went wrong in that I started a bit too dark.
Sarcon

#19 Post by Sarcon »

Lord_Moren wrote:I don't have a pic of it since it didn't come out anywhere near where it was in my head I scrubbed it. I plan on trying it again on my second chariot cuz I think I know where it went wrong in that I started a bit too dark.
Works best if you start by priming it in white, giving it another thin coat of white for smooth coverage. Than a glaze with spacewolves grey, and maybe a thin wash of shadow grey in the deepest recessess, depending on how bright you want to go with the lion.

But than again, your second scheme is pretty ace too ;)
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Lord_Moren

#20 Post by Lord_Moren »

This one was an ivory base, bleached bone, devlin mud wash, bleached bone drybrush and a drybrush of Reaper's Linen White over the mane and tail tuft. I really like how it turned out.
Jimmy
Centurion

#21 Post by Jimmy »

Nice workd all around. Great colour scheme by the way.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Andrew_uk

#22 Post by Andrew_uk »

Elaithnir wrote:blue job btw? Sounds interesting!
I lolled, am I immature?
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Lord_Moren

#23 Post by Lord_Moren »

No you are not...I lol'd too but just kept it to myself.

I picked up 2 boxes of White Lions, my second chariot and the lord/noble box today adding to the already impressive stack of sprues waiting to be assembled and painted.../sigh. (Not to mention the 40k models still awaiting completion.) I may be done with all of this sometime in the next decade lol.
Elaithnir

#24 Post by Elaithnir »

Hehe. Ok my bad. I should pay more attention.