Sturens Painting Log (updated Jan 2024 – Carnivorous Carnival)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sturen

Sturens Painting Log (updated Jan 2024 – Carnivorous Carnival)

#1 Post by Sturen »

In the hope of speeding up the building of my army I am going to start a log. I think I'm a decent painter but I can still improve loads!

I started with the boring blue/white scheme but then decided (after painting a RBT, a chariot, 5 PG, 4 spears and a dragon) to change to a more unusual cream/blue scheme. So far I have 1 RBT and 1 PG in that colour scheme.

I have started using nmm on my guys:

This is a PG in the old colour scheme, just to show of my banner :P

I've got to go but I'll put the RBT up next time

C&C welcome :)
Last edited by Sturen on Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:48 pm, edited 14 times in total.
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Sturen

Re: Sturens Painting Log (upd. 24.1.10)

#2 Post by Sturen »

RBT as promised:

Again nmm on the metal:

Oh no! I broke it!

Citizen Militia

#3 Post by Citizen Militia »

lol the elf in picture is hurriedly flicking through the user manual... turns to his colleague and says 'CRAP - it doesn't say what to do if you snap the lever off?' Although I should add - you've got some nice painting going on there, excellent even considering (I believe I heard you mention) it's your first attempt at NMM?

The flames on the Phoenix guard standard are brilliantly blended
Last edited by Citizen Militia on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
since returning to the game after a 5 year break I have had 1 massacre loss, 3 minor losses, 2 draws, 3 minor wins, 3 solid wins, 2 massacres :)
Sturen

#4 Post by Sturen »

Thanks very much, the pose was sort of accidental, I didnt realise how it was meant to go :D

And that is my first attempt at nmm

Dragon.Prince63

#5 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

Ummmm. What does nmm mean?
Iceman

#6 Post by Iceman »

can anyone exlain to me why i cant see any of sturens pics, im on firefox and its as if there arent any there while all others load
If your interested in some commission work [url=http://novaminis.blogspot.com/][color=#0040FF]Take a look at my Painting blog. [/color][/url]
If your interested in learning some techniques [url=http://novatutorials.blogspot.com/][color=#0040FF]Take a look at my Tutorials blog. [/color][/url]
[url=http://novaminis.blogspot.com/][img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_dtFmUjTqi4c/TL7mtmbtgOI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/A8uFLZCRFb4/s400/Title.jpg[/img][/url]
Citizen Militia

#7 Post by Citizen Militia »

nmm = non metallic metal... its the process of painting metals without using metallic paint. Theres some really good tutorials on how to do it both on youtube and also just floating arounf randomly on the web
since returning to the game after a 5 year break I have had 1 massacre loss, 3 minor losses, 2 draws, 3 minor wins, 3 solid wins, 2 massacres :)
Elaithnir

#8 Post by Elaithnir »

Good start on NMM (much better than MY first attempt:)), but I do have a bit of criticism. Your paint seems very thick. Are you thinning it down before applying to the models? A couple of layers will give a much smoother finish than one thick one.
Sturen

#9 Post by Sturen »

Thanks for all the comments

I do not know why the pictures will not load for you, try searching for Sturent on Photobucket, thats where they all are :)

I thin down my paints when I remember, sometimes I just want to get a bit done and cant be bothered but I'm trying not to anymore :)

Sturen

#10 Post by Sturen »

Some new stuff done at last!

I've been painting these archers over the last fortnight for the tale of painters over on librarium. Expect updates monthly at around this time because thats when my deadline is. Anyway, pics
I feel the NMM has improved greatly since the RBT and I really tried to water my paints though I still struggle to get it right :(
I have plenty more pics (around 50!) if anyone wants some details or closeups :)

C&C welcome

Citizen Militia

#11 Post by Citizen Militia »

wow the improvement is really noticable and I like the idea of putting the arrow storage thing and the spear pole in the unit on bases... but maybe they would look better in the back rank? Either way well done =D>
Sturen

Re: Sturens Painting Log (upd. 13.3.10)

#12 Post by Sturen »

I tried putting the in the back rank but the unit ended up looking asymmetrical wheras on the front their profile is not as noticable.

And I forgot to mention, the feathers are black because of the fluff I've vaguely formed. Mention to look like raven feathers.

Lord Anathir

#13 Post by Lord Anathir »

Citizen Militia wrote:lol the elf in picture is hurriedly flicking through the user manual... turns to his colleague and says 'CRAP - it doesn't say what to do if you snap the lever off?'
ahahha. and his buddy is pointing at the lever 'taht one u moron.'
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Sturen

#14 Post by Sturen »

I have an eagle done which I pleased with and another semi finished PG and a WiP Mage. I've also got a question for you all, if you where going to paint some models for your brother how much would you charge? :lol: My "sample" for him is a WiP right now, pics soon :D.

And, randomly, some WoC to come... :lol:.

Sturen

#15 Post by Sturen »

Okay, not much painting done for a looong time. And I'm going to have to blame it on the NMM. It looks not bad, but every time I think of painting something, I think of the NMM and it puts me off. So NMM is being relegated to characters only.
I don't have any really new models from my side of things, but I haven't put these up before, only the chariot was done in the last month.

Sorry for the terrible pictures, done with my phone :roll:

Edit: new photos are better :D

The WiP chariot, quite chuffed with the freehand

And a WiP mage, done before the archers, but never got round to taking a photo.

And finally some some chaos mortals, they are my dads, but I paint them for him, they are my light relief for when I'm burned out of High Elves :lol: I was really pleased with this nurgle sorcerer when I did him, first try at highlighting :lol: Didn't take new photos of this guy, so he's still really bad...

C&C welcome, some WiP spears coming this weekend :)

Sturen

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated 9/9/10)

#16 Post by Sturen »

Some spears for you now, these where all painted at once over the last 4 days, very pleased with them, and the speed I managed to do them at :lol:

Only got the gems and bases to do. I'm not sure yet about freehand on the banner, definitely low priority right now.

My IoB should be here soon! Hurry up :lol:

Tír

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated 12/9/10)

#17 Post by Tír »

I say keep it up! Great execution of the White(cream)/bly colour scheme - and somebody should really comment on the charriot too - looking real good. Simple touches on the banner making it pop. Nice!

At first I thought: "Oh, interesting way of doing gems - golden! Creative!" :lol: I actually like it in a funny way - I think some (more) rare golden accent colours would go well with you scheme...

Oh, and 2 questions. What is your take on standard Spearelf scale mail? chainmail, wash, mithril highlight?
And mold lines: Do you completely ignore them on the cannon fodder models? :-)

Anyway, good job.
Sturen

#18 Post by Sturen »

There will be more gold in my elite units, but core doesn't deserve as much :P

My scalemail is chainmail, black wash, mithril drybrush. I'm not too happy with how it turned out though, because I don't actually have a black wash, so I mixed up something with chaos black :lol:

And no, I just built these spears a while ago, when I didn't know what mold lines where :oops: So these models are really ugly :( I remove them from models now though :D Not ruining the beautiful IoB kits with mold lines :O

Sturen

#19 Post by Sturen »

Some new stuff at last! :)

Firstly, the finished spears:
Note to self: Using the maximum heat on the hairdryer to dry paint on plastic models is not a good idea!

And the Island of Blood mage, still a WiP. I'm trying to do this model to the very best of my ability, should be interesting :D

C&C appreciated.

Elaithnir

#20 Post by Elaithnir »

Ooooh! I'm LIKING that cloak on the mage!
Can't wait to see him done. Just a question. Why did you need to use heat to dry the paint? It tends to dry rapidly enough without?
Sturen

#21 Post by Sturen »

Thanks, I'm pleased with how the cloak turned out too :D

I was using the hairdryer to dry the bases because the very watered down glue takes ages by itself. Luckily I managed to reposition it okay, the banner was almost perpendicular #-o

Mireadur

#22 Post by Mireadur »

I see you have very promising skills buddy, but you need to grow up patience [-X . In 1 or 2 years you will be a mad painter (if you practice enough, of course). For now you need to be more patient (the hairdryer thing instead letting the mini outside the window for drying itself :p, and not thinning down enough your paints).

That cloak is looking certainly good.. Also, those colours you use for the white are very interesting. What are the 2 colours you use in the white of those spearmen? Thanks =D>

EDIT: looks like denheb stone maybe?
Sturen

#23 Post by Sturen »

Thank you very much :D

That is very true, I'm not nearly patient enough. The mages cream areas aren't as good as I know they could be, and it's partly because I pushed through instead of going back and neatening up with the previous colour. The blue I was in a patient mood for, so it turned out better. My painting depends a lot on my mood for some reason :S

The spearmen where an experiment with the cream. They where painted dheneb stone and then I washed the recesses with devlan mud before applying a couple of highlights by adding white. It worked pretty well for the relatively simple areas on the spears.

Jaded Heart

#24 Post by Jaded Heart »

The mages cloak almost looks like its metallic for some reason, the effect is really good :mrgreen: your NMM is pretty good for a first try, looking forward to seeing more of your models =P~

JH
Sturen

#25 Post by Sturen »

Thanks, I know what you mean. For some reason my painting often comes out like that, but I don't mind it.

Sturen

#26 Post by Sturen »

Something new at last, I need to get painting more, but I will be painting something every month, preferably every week! But we'll see.

Very metallic models, with the silver and the gold there isn't a lot else. Luckily the silver has turned out pretty nicely. At the time of posting they are actually very nearly done, but photobucket hasn't been playing ball.

Chaos mortals! I felt like painting purple, what can I say. The purple needs another red wash to make it richer, and I need to give the gold another highlight, but the colours that are here are mostly done. The banner looks a real mess, but it looks nice even close up in real life, bit of a mystery.

Sometime this week I'll have the SMs finished and better pictures of the chariot. Whaddaya think so far? :)

Sturen

#27 Post by Sturen »

Many pics of nearly finished swordies, just need basing and innumerable touch ups and fixes.

Far too many pics I know, but enjoy!

Si'anelle of Avelorn
Dreamer of Worlds

#28 Post by Si'anelle of Avelorn »

O marvellous Swordmasters, - O I do like the myriad of small details and how the silver of their armor doth glow.
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Warhammer/webbanner.jpg[/img]
Sturen

#29 Post by Sturen »

Thanks, I am very pleased with how the silver turned out.

And now my mage, been a long time WiP, but I've made some good progress at last.

For some reason it never occured to me to flip the pictures the right way round, but the amount of finaking it takes to get them from camera to photobucket, please tilt your head! :P Your thoughts?

Sturen

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated 3/3/11)

#30 Post by Sturen »

Whats this? An update? No! Really! Its an update! :o

Firstly some thing different, some very old Brettonians. I've had these for a while and I'm going to sell them once I've finished the other bunch I have. No idea how much they'll be worth.

And the start of my classic metal phoenix guard (woo I feel so awesome they're "classic"). The blue armour is a bit crazy, and I've given them red cloaks so they stand out a bit more from my army, they are a centre piece after all.

Whaddya think? :)