Baerion's High Elves (IOB SwordMasters 1/8/2011)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Dragon.Prince63

Re: Baerion's High Elves (IOB Mage and Prince 11/2/2010)

#91 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

Really cool painting :lol: Love the shield on the prince. Really good work
Bolt Thrower

#92 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Really great work! Just all around excellent color contrasts and layers.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Elaithnir

#93 Post by Elaithnir »

I like the shield too...but I'm not a huge fan of the axe. I appreciate the ice look you were going for but it doesn't seem quite right. I recall seeing an ice blade somewhere that I could refer you to but I can't remember where! Or was it the crystalline blade tutorial in a recent White Dwarf? I'll have to check. I guess what I'm trying to say is it doesn't look a lot like ice... Although I have no idea how to improve it! Sorry. That wasn't too constructive! How did the tournament go?
Baerion

#94 Post by Baerion »

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad you like it.

@Elaithnir - If you do find out what it is that you're referring to let me know. Perhaps I could douse it in ardcoat to make it look more like ice? Anyway when I initially went to painting it I didn't think of painting it like Ice I just figured that was the closest thing it resembled when I was done so that is how I described it.

The tournament is this weekend November 6-7 so I'll be sure to post something on the battle reports when I get back. Really looking forward to it though I'm wishing more and more I would have brought an archmage =). Oh well I'll give the prince on dragon a run at least once in 8th at a tournament this way.
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
Elaithnir

#95 Post by Elaithnir »

Here's a link.
Take a look at the Farseer's sword. :) The guy read the same article as I did.
Tír

#96 Post by Tír »

Great job on the archmage! In time I plan on making a shadow mage too, and the magic cloud-effect looks excactly like the one in my head - would you mind sharing how you did it?
As for the Ice blade I agree with Elaithnir. I think a more icy look could be achieved by keeping the general tone of the blade more dark/blue, and then add jagged lines in very bright blue. (not as many as when doing a lightning effect, but still) A little bit like these frozen waves: http://thecontaminated.com/frozen-waves/
Does that makes sense?
Baerion

#97 Post by Baerion »

A couple of great ideas for sure - I think I'll give it a try after the tournament or if I have time this week. I could definitely make it look more like ice though.

Thanks guys for both of those references!
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
Baerion

#98 Post by Baerion »

@Tir - The shadow coils at his feet were created by gradually adding more and more white to black and painting higher and higher up the coils. Eventually I got almost all the way to pure white, but not quite. I didn't really blend at all, but as I mixed in small quantities of white to my previous mixture it kinda turned out looking that way. It was really quite easy, just time consuming.

Just as an update I just finished priming my Sword Masters so hopefully will have some WIP and some finished pictures of them coming in the next month or so. Sorry - I'm a slow painter!
Andrew_uk

#99 Post by Andrew_uk »

Baerion, I know you're a big fan of using magnets right? Where do you buy your magnets from? How is the best way to do it so that dragon mage/prince are interchangable? Would you go with one magnet on each thigh and each side of the dragons body or would you go one magnet centrally right on the riders backside?
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Baerion

#100 Post by Baerion »

I have purchased all of my magnets so far from http://www.KJmagnetics.com.
Andrew_uk wrote:How is the best way to do it so that dragon mage/prince are interchangable?
The best and easiest way to do it in my opinion is to put a magnet right in the middle of the rider's saddle and put a magnet in between the legs (up the butt kinda) of each of the riders. This makes them interchangeable and makes it so after some painting the magnet in the seat can hardly be seen when the rider is taken off. Also the magnet is then not visible if anyone wants to pick up your rider from the saddle and take a closer look at your exceptional paint job.

*Note that before gluing said magnets make sure you have confirmed the polarity is correct so that they attract. My first attempt had me glue in the magnet only to have him REPELLED out of his seat defeating the entire purpose.
Andrew_uk

#101 Post by Andrew_uk »

lol thanks for the good advice Baerion but I don't think I'll be buying them from that site. I just tried and 6 of the smaller magnets was $1.14, not too bad... Postage to the UK was $67.00!!!! must be because of it being magnets

I need to find somewhere in the UK that sells them
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Baerion

#102 Post by Baerion »

Wow...that is insane.

Unfortunately I don't know of any good magnet sellers in the UK. I'm sure there is something though if you search on-line. Or perhaps start a new thread with that question for some other UK players or over on warseer you could get some good responses.
hamsterman

#103 Post by hamsterman »

I know this may sound a bit of a nooby question, but how do you do the scales on their mail, do you paint them individually or do you have another method. Mine seem to get swamped by paint and look very irregualar.
Pendulum-Blood Sugar: My neighbours loved this song so much they decided to bring the police over to see how amazing it was.

Sod Nicotine, I need a Pendulum Patch.
Baerion

#104 Post by Baerion »

For the spears: I paint them with Chainmail, wash with asurmen blue and then drybrush with mithril silver.
For the DP's, Characters etc. I start with Boltgun metal, wash with 1:1 asurmen blue badab black mix then highlight with chainmail, and highlight again with mithril silver to add a little more depth.
hamsterman

#105 Post by hamsterman »

Thanks m8, i've been wondering for a while :)
Pendulum-Blood Sugar: My neighbours loved this song so much they decided to bring the police over to see how amazing it was.

Sod Nicotine, I need a Pendulum Patch.
Baerion

#106 Post by Baerion »

I have finshed 7 Swordmasters from the Island of Blood set. Behind them you will see 7 old metal models that I already had painted. I am hoping to finish another 14 IOB ones, but for now thought I would post these 14.

Also some WIP on what will be my Man of Intrigue for WaaaghPaca. Not quite as impressive as Trag's, but I'm happy nonetheless.

Mireadur

Re: Baerion's High Elves (IOB SwordMasters 1/8/2011)

#107 Post by Mireadur »

Smooth technique as always. Their blue turned out lighter than usual, didnt it?
Ross

#108 Post by Ross »

Dude, you are one amazing painter!! I joined just so that I could subscribe to this thread. :)
I hope to do something like this when I start painting my army.
Mantriel

#109 Post by Mantriel »

Beautiful army. :) Your "Lighting" effects are amazing. (Like the cape of the IoB mage).
Baerion

#110 Post by Baerion »

This was the model I used for my man of intrigue at Waaaghpaca. Going forward I'll probably use him as a prince on foot or swordmaster champion.

Elaithnir

#111 Post by Elaithnir »

Ah Eltharion my old friend. :) I have him sitting in my paintbox staring at me accusingly...
Mireadur

#112 Post by Mireadur »

Elaithnir wrote:Ah Eltharion my old friend. :) I have him sitting in my paintbox staring at me accusingly...
Fortunately for you he is blind... I would worry more for the other 2 hundred models staring at you accusingly :lol: