Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (dragon mage 24/5/11)

#331 Post by Mireadur »

Ptolemy wrote:This is the Prince's dragon. If he chooses to lend it out once in awhile....the mage will have to make do.
:lol: funny way to say it... But i guess you are right =). Ill get a 2nd dragon from ebay someday... After ive painted all the rest :roll:

Thanks for all the input btw =)
NightHawk45

#332 Post by NightHawk45 »

Right now there is a HE dragon on ebay. Pretty cheap too. I'm not selling it, just saw your comment and thought that I would too.
tinman

#333 Post by tinman »

Mireadur wrote:Or maybe the best is just leave it as it is, considering the prince is going to be the main rider after all?..
Oh, shit that looks very good!! Just leave it. If the mage borrows it then TFB about the colors :lol:
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Bolt Thrower

#334 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Honestly, despite my input on colors, if you plopped down that mage and dragon against me in a game, my mouth would hit the floor and I'd drool all over without a thought about the colors. =P~
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Mireadur

#335 Post by Mireadur »

Ok thanks all the responses with this issue hehe. Im going to follow your advise and leave it as it is.. Now i need to gather up all my force of will to begin painting these 19 phoenix guard plus captain on my highest level... :shock:
Ptolemy

#336 Post by Ptolemy »

The new PG models are an enjoyable paint and actually lend themselves quite well to doing your best work. They are full of clean lines that encourage neat painting and make the fancy stuff easier.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (dual wield prince on foot 28/5/11)

#337 Post by Mireadur »

Hi again. I couldnt gather the will to begin the PG, but did finish this noble on foot.

I know 2 hand weapons is not an option for our characters (something weird), but i still wanted to have a character with it. For the cloack i modelled some poorly GS scales to represent a dragonscale cloak. Overall took around 7 hours, not too fast but i had to change the colour of the helm as i painted it green at 1st, but i didnt like it.

EDIT: my WoC friend sold his army and he let me have his best models. He is very good at making plastic conversions, heres his chaos dragon lord which now belongs to me:

Of course it wont be painted in like 2 years, also the objetive is to cover the pillar with skulls.
Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#338 Post by SpellArcher »

Really like the dual sword guy, you've made the blue and green go really well!

:)
Mandragoran

#339 Post by Mandragoran »

dual wield prince is just fantastic! Ok, i recognize left sword arm (phoenix guard box?) but don't know about right sword arm (and sword)?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34777&start=0]My High Elves[/url]

You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways... ~ Lan Mandragoran
Mireadur

#340 Post by Mireadur »

Mandragoran wrote:dual wield prince is just fantastic! Ok, i recognize left sword arm (phoenix guard box?) but don't know about right sword arm (and sword)?
EDIT: Glad you like it. Umm i actually didnt even remember about it. Looking at the mini its a 3 part arm.. ithe blade is from the PG plastic kit. the bracer is from the PG new plastic box too, but since that sword was from a left hand i had to cut it and attach it to a right PG hand (removed the halberd i think) and the shoulder is from silver helms i believe.
Mandragoran

#341 Post by Mandragoran »

=D> I thought about multy -part but wasn't sure.. top of the class as always! :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34777&start=0]My High Elves[/url]

You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways... ~ Lan Mandragoran
Meraklis

#342 Post by Meraklis »

amazing work Mireadur :)

glad to see that you are still working on your army. I always admire people who can keep their motivation going for a long time ! (unlike me)
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Mireadur

#343 Post by Mireadur »

Meraklis wrote:amazing work Mireadur :)

glad to see that you are still working on your army. I always admire people who can keep their motivation going for a long time ! (unlike me)
Thanks =) im hoping to finish the army this year/1st quarter of 2012.. It will have been a 3 year work!

Now what im working on now...

I want to paint 10 PG plus the captain conversion this month, and im going to do it in groups of 5 models. I just finished washing the gold and while it dried i thought id take pics for self motivation. I hope i can have these 5 finished during sunday. Still need to apply lights to gold and silver, paint the cloaks and finally do the gems and scabbards.

If you notice their faces i tried to paint them with their eyes glowing with blue energy, a reflect from their ward save and fear aura. Lets see how it looks like once finished the whole model.

Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Mage

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Phoenix guards WIP 3/6/11)

#344 Post by Brian Mage »

Those PG look really promising!.
The models are IMO so much nicer than the new plastics.

Really like the concept of the glowing eyes. I've done my characters with ice blue and or purple eyes (not glowing) but i may have to keep my eye on this idea - excuse the pun!
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Mandragoran

#345 Post by Mandragoran »

glowing eyes idea is awesome!! I think they r going to look great!

Ptolemy

#346 Post by Ptolemy »

Glowing eyes is a great idea! I was just telling one of my gaming buddies that I can never remember they cause fear because nothing about them is scary.

I'm going to shamelessly steal the idea. :D

Awesome!
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Mireadur

#347 Post by Mireadur »

I also thought it was a nice idea, although my friends laughed at me about it :? ?! What better way to represent their bodies pouring magical energies?

The models are almost finished now. Need to give lights to metals and paint the gems and thats it!. I try to finish and post the pics tonight.

EDIT:

So they are finally done. Needed 4 hours for the damn metals, gems and bases for a total of more than 3 hours per model. Quite tedious in the end. The result, however, i think is gorgeous when faced at pictures distance!

What do you think about the eyes [-o< ?

Finally 2 pics on the cloaks:

I want to paint their captain next. Him alone will take as long as these ''shudders''. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhaantikaal

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Finished Phoenix Guards! 5/6/11)

#348 Post by Jhaantikaal »

Beautiful. And for me, the eyes 'work'. They really look as if they would cause fear now. Great technique on the cloaks also.
Follow me on Twitter @DMashford
Bolt Thrower

#349 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Amazing. The Phoenix Guard are one of my favorite units in playing elves, and you have made these awesome to look upon. Bravo!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
msu117

#350 Post by msu117 »

Seeing these phoenix Guard models makes me want to get back on track painting my HE. I only have to recheck this blog for continued inspriration. I know my own post I started several months back is long overdue for an update but so many things have come up and new things to get side tracked on. Keep up the great work. I only wish GW chose to release these metal PG in finecast rather than the new plastics ones. In finecast these would be less of a nightmare with the halbreds and reglueing etc.
Mireadur

#351 Post by Mireadur »

I used a mix of putty and superglue for a super strong bond. There has been some rare times where a halberd fell but thanks to the solid putty in the joint superglue would work really well again.

Thanks for the comments :mrgreen:

EDIT: Just a quick update on the progress of the PG captain. So far ive been switching between the base and the model painting both on short periods. 4 hours of work at the time of the pic. Tomorrow i want to get the base 100% finished. Right now is only missing the banner and the flame which should take 2 hours total.

For the character himself i chose to paint the scalemail in turquoise what is a change from what ive been doing so far, and for the clothing i chose a darker green but with a blue base (scaly green) so it would keep the army style.

Im finding these plastic PG much much easier and faster to paint than the metal ones, they definitely have less detail and offer bigger and more flat surfaces to work. I believe the metal ones are sculpts of better quality overall, although i must admit these ones look more impressive as models.

The idea is to paint the cloak white and all the parts you currently see brown will be in gold, as usual. The trim on the scalemail i was going to do it gold, but i think i will paint it silver mithril finally as it wont break the scheme between boots/scale/chest that much.

Ptolemy

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Phoenix Guard captain WIP 8/6/11)

#352 Post by Ptolemy »

Looking great Mireadur.

Can I ask about the 40mm base you are working on? What colors/techniques did you use? I've been trying to emulate a similar effect myself.
tinman

#353 Post by tinman »

Man I love your work. Very nice job!! You've inspired me to get back to my HE's. I'm working on my Beastman army right now.
Jimmy
Centurion

#354 Post by Jimmy »

WOW!! Simply amazing work. I see work like this and I wonder why I bother painting seriously!!

Love the base as well.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Mireadur

#355 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks for the comments guys.
Ptolemy wrote:Looking great Mireadur.

Can I ask about the 40mm base you are working on? What colors/techniques did you use? I've been trying to emulate a similar effect myself.
Umm, burnished brown base colour. Then snakeleather bite, then mix 20% snake+80%bleached bone.. Then pure bleached bone finally white on the edges.

How where they applied? the 2 browns just covering everything. In the cracks just the burnished though. Then for the bleached bone i went with lighter layers of watered down colour but i apply it like it if was drybrush. For the pillar with the fire had to apply several coats until it covered well. Theres also a devlan mud wash right after the 1st coat with bleached bone.

On the floor, it is important to apply the lighter coats as if you were drybrushing to give it a stony appearance..

The filigree is actually silver, but i must say it looks like grey even in RL.
Jimmy wrote:WOW!! Simply amazing work. I see work like this and I wonder why I bother painting seriously!!

Love the base as well.
I can show you my 1st models and they sure dont look like these ones..Hell even just watching at the 1st pages of this log you see a huge difference... But so far ive put over 570 hours of painting into this HE log. I better have improved by now! :lol: Anyway i have also reached a limit in skill i dont seem to be able to break.

PS: Tinman... The fact they are beastmen doesnt mean we dont wanna see them :p. What happened to your gold dragon btw? Cant believe you just left if half done!
tinman

#356 Post by tinman »

Mireadur wrote:PS: Tinman... The fact they are beastmen doesnt mean we dont wanna see them :p. What happened to your gold dragon btw? Cant believe you just left if half done!
I have done a bunch more work on the dragon. It's one of those models that will take me about 40-50 hours. But I don't do it all in one shot. I don't want to get sick of it. It's not so "gold" now, I really like the color I was adding so have added more. There is now a hint of blue too.

Oh, btw, I won 1st place and best at show with my Lion Lord and I will show some pics of the beasts later today. Nothing is finished but I am making some progress.
Mireadur

#357 Post by Mireadur »

tinman wrote:Oh, btw, I won 1st place and best at show with my Lion Lord and I will show some pics of the beasts later today. Nothing is finished but I am making some progress.
Grats on that man =) I wouldnt have expected less from you :roll:

Another small update on the captain progress: Started lighting the gold. missing the gems also, but the rest is finished.

Also i will have to work on the banner later. I know it will take longer painting both independantly rather than together,but i dont feel like switching between both right now. Kinda impatient :mrgreen:

EDIT: I have a question about the halberd blade.. As you can see the blade has a flame pattern carved on it, well im not really sure about how should i paint that... Red flames again? leave it silvery/white as it is now? Opinions very much appreciated, thanks [-o<

Macharius

#358 Post by Macharius »

Mireadur wrote:EDIT: I have a question about the halberd blade.. As you can see the blade has a flame pattern carved on it, well im not really sure about how should i paint that... Red flames again? leave it silvery/white as it is now? Opinions very much appreciated, thanks [-o<
I think it would look better if you left it the silvery/white. Particularly in the third picture you posted, there was a contrast between the bright silver of the flames, and a more darker boltgun/iron coloring closer to the haft that looked pretty cool. If there was some way to put further emphasis on that contrast, I think it would look great.
Ptolemy

#359 Post by Ptolemy »

I would recommend your carry over the gold from the helmet/breastplate on it. It would complete the 'triangle' of colors and draw the eye to the center of the model.

Also...VERY minor thing I noticed. On the cloak, your flames are correct. Lighter colors on the bottom. Yet on the brazier, you have the flames backwards.
Mandragoran

#360 Post by Mandragoran »

Ptolemy wrote:Also...VERY minor thing I noticed. On the cloak, your flames are correct. Lighter colors on the bottom. Yet on the brazier, you have the flames backwards.
Eagle eye ;)

@Mireadur: without flames, halberd looks unimportant.. non magical kind of. my suggestion- do the flames! ;) (maybe blue flames?!)