Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Eagle knight and Chrace BSB) 12/12/11)

#421 Post by Jimmy »

Great update and sensational work as usual. Love the eagle and rider, fantastic work.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
tinman

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (PG cpt+scenic base and unit pics 11/6/11)

#422 Post by tinman »

Looking forward to seeing more stuff!!
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Eagle knight and Chrace BSB) 12/12/11)

#423 Post by Mireadur »

hey guys. Im finally back home 3 days for the holydays so i thought i would update the pics of the chrace bsb and eagle knight with finished bases and better light. Also i uploaded some WIPs of the eagle knight BSB which i hope to finish in these 3 days of vacation.

I replaced the old pics of the BSB and eagle champion with the new ones on page 14. Its nice that several of us thought of these '' eagle knights of Yveresse'' but thinking about it, i guess it is just something natural to come up with such a unit, considering how yveresse is a place of high mountains where eagles surely nest well and that they are the only main province of Ulthuan without its own unit!
Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Cothique Marines WIPs) 10/01/12)

#424 Post by Mireadur »

hey guys! I was working lately on the rules for the Cothique marines and as soon as i came back from trip i started its creation.

As you know high elves used to be heavily based on ancient greek armies, but it is strange they never had peltast troops (ie light skirmishers armed with javelins). So seeing some peoples ideas here about cothique marines i developed my own rules and models based on javelin skirmishing troops. And heres the result!

Tell me if you find them pleasing and HE'ish enough pls! So far i have only converted 2 of them, champion and normal guy. Ive used pieces of the new WLions, new Sguard, old archers, spearmen, Shelms and.. i believe that is all :mrgreen:

Pics are a bit dark, sorry. My rules for them are these, in case anyone is curious:

Cothique marines. Core troop. 12 points/model. unit size 10-15.

Light armour, shields and arpoons of Cothique.

Champion+10ptos, Musician+10ptos.

M Ws Bs S R W I A L AS
5 4 4 3 3 1 5 1 8 4+/5+

Valour of Ages. Skirmishers. Cothique Arpoons.

Cothique Arpoons: Distance 10'', Strength 4, quick to fire.
tinman

#425 Post by tinman »

I'm loving the concept. The models are very cool and very well done!! How did you make the skirts?
Mireadur

#426 Post by Mireadur »

tinman wrote:I'm loving the concept. The models are very cool and very well done!! How did you make the skirts?
I actually went nuts searching the net looking for ancient greek models with skirts which could be suitable but found nothing! So in the end i got the archers legs and cut them by the knees. You know the leg types which dont show the trousers.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#427 Post by Elithmar »

Peltasts! Great idea. Actually, I could swear I was thinking about what in the HE army could be my peltasts...

Great conversions too, can't wait to see them painted.

EDIT: Are the harpoons WL axes with LSG spear tops on the end?
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Oberon

#428 Post by Oberon »

@Mireadur

What did you use for the phalanx shields? I was thinking about that for my conversion concept of my Silver Helms and Chariot.

By the way, your skills are awesome too!
[b]True to the End.[/b]
[color=#80BF40]Prince Oberon, Hand of Tor Yvresse, Lord Admiral, Lord of Tor Lir[/color]
Mireadur

#429 Post by Mireadur »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:
EDIT: Are the harpoons WL axes with LSG spear tops on the end?
Indeed they are. They turned really nice, as the WL forearms are in perfect position for javelin throwing and the SG spears are very appropiate with their sea motiffs :D
Oberon wrote:@Mireadur

What did you use for the phalanx shields? I was thinking about that for my conversion concept of my Silver Helms and Chariot.

By the way, your skills are awesome too!
Hi i used these from wargames factory (amazons come with the same shields, and i bought them sometime ago to make maidenguards):

http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/leg ... k-hoplites
Oberon

#430 Post by Oberon »

@Mireadur

Thanks for the information. I'll be looking into them, but I think that the Greek shields have a decidely Cothique feel.
[b]True to the End.[/b]
[color=#80BF40]Prince Oberon, Hand of Tor Yvresse, Lord Admiral, Lord of Tor Lir[/color]
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Eagle knight BSB) 13/01/12)

#431 Post by Mireadur »

I finished the rider at last (well i noticed through watching the pics that the quiver still needs some work #-o)

It is strange because this time he looks somehow worse in the pics than IRL, right the opposite to the rest of my models!

So anyway here are the pics. Next station (after doing the quiver properly) the 3 cothique marines i have assembled.

Telemachus

#432 Post by Telemachus »

I really like him - what is the lance? Is that from the prince/noble kit?
Check out my painting blog
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37835[/url]
Oberon

#433 Post by Oberon »

@Telemachus

Yep, the Spear of Destiny is from the Noble kit.

@Mireadur

Great looking BSB, exceptionally original.
[b]True to the End.[/b]
Mireadur

#434 Post by Mireadur »

yep thats the spear. Thanks for the comments guys! I wish i had the will to start the last of the 3 eagle riders, 12 long hours of work each :/ But i feel i do not.. I hate having most of my units unfinished.

Elven aerial assault!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#435 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Death from above!
I love that no two are the same!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
korhian the 28th

#436 Post by korhian the 28th »

a lot of flying things here around

like them, painting is great as usually :wink:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
"right now we can attack in any direction"
Mireadur

#437 Post by Mireadur »

hey guys, ive been asked twice now about the conversions im doing for the handmaidens. So ill show the little ive done so far.

I also want to ask how do you see them? is it worth to invest in some wood elf cloaks (12 pounds) or should i stop this and just wait for GW to release new models (i have a vibe they will do it for 8th!).

In case you see these models fitting, ive been thinking of adding a small skirt with GS and some gems, of course. Do you think the models woud look decent enough then? Comments really appreciated thanks.

(SM is for size comparison, as you can see they look good together).
tinman

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (handmaidens early WIP) 15/01/12)

#438 Post by tinman »

I am actually interested where you takes these Handmaidens. I'm not a huge fan of the models, but I do not have the vision of where you want to take them.
Mireadur

#439 Post by Mireadur »

tinman wrote:I am actually interested where you takes these Handmaidens. I'm not a huge fan of the models, but I do not have the vision of where you want to take them.
Thanks for the asnwer. Im also unsure they will end up looking ''Gwish'' enough, but the real handmaiden models have 2 problems right now: cost (14 of them just went for 85 pounds in ebay 2 days ago) and also the models are not really so hot (specially the spears).

Im going to try and model with GS skirts for these and will also add small gems here and there, hopefully it will make them decent enough to live up until GW decides to give the next push to HE and releases a new plastic version of them :).

In other news, im finishing 5 more PG troopers. Will post them next sunday. Im strongly determined right now to finish my PG unit by the 1st week of February!
tinman

#440 Post by tinman »

I too would love to have a unit of all female warriors, but finding them currently for a reasonable price these days is near impossible. So, gt to work and lets see what you come up with :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#441 Post by Prince of Spires »

tinman wrote:I too would love to have a unit of all female warriors, but finding them currently for a reasonable price these days is near impossible. So, gt to work and lets see what you come up with :)
Have you seen this: Hordes of miniatures for sale?

It's about as good as it gets as far as buying vintage HE models for cheap.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (5 more PG Done) 21/01/12)

#442 Post by Mireadur »

Very nice indeed. Maybe if i hadnt already spent 35 dollars in the maidens...

5 more PG i could finish 1 day earlier than expected. Unfortunately this is because we didnt get to play our campaign day :(

I painted the kneeguards in silver for the ones in hte 2nd row, because i thought id save some time with it. In the end i didnt save even a minute but they look as good (if not better) than the ones with golden knees.

Sorry for the strange light, but i had troubles to get the camera to take good pics and had to edit the images to tone down their ''blueness'' :/
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#443 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The silver looks great, I'm not going to say better, I think the gold adds a little bit extra. How big is this unit going to be?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Meraklis

#444 Post by Meraklis »

I have said it before and I will say it again; your HEs are amazing! I love the attention and detail you have put into these models!

that is how HEs should be painted! I wish I could match your discipline though and focus on one army...
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Mireadur

#445 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks for the comments =). I was doing the unit 20PG + the captain, for a total of 8x3, but have changed my mind yesterday and gonna leave it at 7x3 (thats 17 normal PG plus the 40mm base captain).

Plans are to finish the last 5 PG to complete the unit by saturday/sunday!! I really cant wait guys. This is gonna be my best ever painted unit.
Jimmy
Centurion

#446 Post by Jimmy »

Mireadur - I think they'll be your best painted unit until you paint another one. Your work is sensational.

:D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log Phoenix guard finished(at last!) 29/01/12)

#447 Post by Mireadur »

Its finally over, its been over 70 hours of work.. [-o<

Now im going to work on a scenic base (unit filler) for the swordmasters captain and after that not sure if DPs (finally) or my cothique marines :)
Ptolemy

Re: Mireadur's HE Log Phoenix guard finished(at last!) 29/01/12)

#448 Post by Ptolemy »

=D>

Stunning work, a unit for the ages. You really did something special here. Inspirational stuff!
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log Blade lord unit filler (modest) 30/01/12)

#449 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks ptolemy =). When i started painting HE i never thought i could endure so much.. 3 years now and still going on. Perseverance had always been my weakest point, i guess im getting old :lol:

I finished the small unit filler for the swordmasters. I thought id do the same i did with WL and PG captains for all them, so i made this scenic base for the SM captain. I have also bought a 40mm ''foresty'' base for the captain of my handmaidens (will use the AoW female wood elf hero).

Its pretty obvious now that swordmasters need a painting revamp ''a la silver helms'' #-o
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log More classic seaguard 05/02/12)

#450 Post by Mireadur »

Hey guys, i made this army list for a tourney trying to combine 3 things: My favourite painted stuff, a moderate eataine theme and some effectiveness in the battlefield just so im not erradicated on all the 3 games. It was a though call as i had to leave many things i like a lot out and others i wanted to have in for effectiveness but i had to left out because they didnt match with the theme too well. So the list goes like this:

LORDS:
-Eltharion and stormwing-----------------------------------------------(just so i can include my favourite model, the IoB griffon :P)
-lvl 3 archmage with staff of solidity------------------------------------(my female foot mage)

HEROES:
-Caradryan------------------------------------------------------------(will be my PG captain conversion)
-Noble on barded horse with ogre sword and enchanted shield------------(my noble on horse with the phoenix shield)
-Foot BSB with 2 handed sword, armour of caledor and talisman of loec---(my old BSB with the green armour)

CORE:
-31 Seaguard with command and flamming banner, 8x4-------------------(they wont be finished at the tourney date, but im working on them)
-32 spearmen with command, 8x4

SPECIALS:
-20 Phoenix guard with command
-20 Swordmasters with command
-2x Tiranoc chariots

RARES:
-1x RBT
-2x Great eagles

TOTAL Points: 2999.

So what magic do you think would be the best? if im not mistaken i must choose this in the army list? I have thought of beasts magic for eltharion and either high magic/lore of light for the archmage as there will be several daemon armies for sure.

EDIT: i finished 5 more Seaguard. I Dont think i had ever painted 15 infantry models (to this quality) in a single month, but im gonna take it further and not stop here... Im painting another 5 of these and finish them by the next sunday :¡ :mrgreen:

Painting infantry to this degree (around 3 hours per model, painting them in blocks of 5) is proving a very tiresome job, but im enduring in a true force of will ordeal so can finish this huge unit once for all (still 18 to go #-o ).