Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (PG cpt+scenic base and unit pics 11/6/11)

#391 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I really like the effect you have on the clothes of your war machinve crew. The tutorial you provided are very good as well. Thanks! :) Now, were are my brushes? :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (HE greek firethrower 17/6/11)

#392 Post by Mireadur »

wilko wrote:Gotta say, everything you have in your log here is absolutely fantastic, really impressed with how your models have turned out and can only imagine the amount of time and effort which went into each model!

Also thanks for posting those videos, I've started to try out the technique on my BSB, lets hope it works out. Maybe one day i'll get to the level of painting which your at now!
Sure you will in no time. Also... Maybe one day i get to the level of painting...Shown in those videos :mrgreen:

EDIT:

Finished the machine. It sure is ugly as hell, worst money ever spent in minis i fear, cant help but think that it looks more like an insect than a dragon. Im sorry but i must say this mantic model was a let down. Not because of the model quality which is, as most mantic models, quite low and was expected. But because of its very subpar casting quality (this i didnt expect in truth). The model came with a lot of metal flash and some areas not being too smooth.

Anyway, painting such an ugly (just imo) model has proven difficult. i spent a lot of time practicing the glazing technique and i feel the progress is going to be slower than i thought at 1st. At least i seem to have found the correct amount of water the mix needs.

Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wilko

#393 Post by wilko »

Looks really cool, what are the rules for that :P i've always said high elves needed another warmachine!
Never buy elves in bulk..... I have learnt my lesson!!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#394 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yuck, I think I'll stick with the trust Eagle Claw.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Mireadur

#395 Post by Mireadur »

EDIT: Hi, putting on hold my elven army for a few. Ive been assembling and painting some space marines this week and tomorrow will be heading out for vacations 2 weeks. My idea is to be painting my Space marine army for a while and rest a little bit from elves. Making a new log for them here.

Good summer to all!
wilko wrote:Looks really cool, what are the rules for that :P i've always said high elves needed another warmachine!
Rules are..

RARE CHOICE 140 points.

place the template within 15'' from the mouth of the machine and roll artillery dice. On a result of trouble the machine wont shoot that round. On any other result add the amount obtained and thats where the template will land. Also the high accuracy of elves allows the crew to modify the point where the template lands in +1/-1''.

Template is Str 5. Flaming attacks. 1 casualty forces to check panic.

We use the same rules for the dwarven flame cannon except that one has 2 types of fuel both intended for different kind targets.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Resuming work (PG champ guide) 13/8/11)

#396 Post by Mireadur »

After almost a 2 month break, im slowly feeling like paiting again, and today it is the day! The last 2-3 days ive been unsure of what to work on, as im leaving home again for work next tuesday and wanted to finish something b4 departing.

So finally ive decided on painting the phoenix guard champion and do a paiting guide for it as i promised a while ago. This shouldnt take me longer than 6-7 hours so im confident i can leave it done between today and monday night.

ATM ive got on charge the batteries for the camera (so cant start work :roll:) but i promise i will upload the 1st stage of the guide tonight, which should include all the basic colours and the face/halberd pole. 2nd stage of the guide will be the metals and the 3rd one will have the cloak process and final details such as gems.

STAGE 1: BASIC COLOURS, FACE AND HALBERD POLE WOODGRAIN:

The process here is very simple, fast and dont even need to be too careful with the brush. It took me 1,5 hours to complete up to the last pic of the batch.

Im a bit leery of my current skill as its been 2 months without painting at all, we will see how the final model turns out.

1st of all i had the model sprayed in white primer, but as i do with most HE models i cover them in a watered layer of black chaos since they are mostly armour pieces.

Next step, silver mithril to all the metal parts i want that colour, as you can see i wasnt too careful when painting the scales, something i regreted later as i will have to repaint the scale joints in black by hand later. When done, did a badab black wash.

At this point it is all good. When i get to light the silver, i will have to correct all these issues as well as applying another black wash as currently theres no enough contrast.

Now i go over the mini painting all the basic colours, turquoise, dark grey for the cloak and i use scorched brown for all the following: Skin, golden armour and wood. For the cloth behind the helmet, if you remember i painted light blue the ones for the unit members, this guy is the champion however, so im painting it dark purple instead.

Finally the face and the woodgrain.

For the face i go with elven flesh right over the scorched brown, trying not to cover the deepest cracks. Had to apply 2-3 layers for it to cover the face evenly. Once dry i washed with gripphon sepia. For the pole i painted snakeleather bite over the scorched.

Im sorry but forgot to take 1 or 2 pics in here and only have the final one. After sepia wash was dry, i used a mix of 50/50 white/elven flesh and painted the face again, on the more prominent areas that should be lighted. Then with pure white i painted the tips of the face like chin and nose tip, superior lip and the eyes of the model.

As you can see i painted the face really really simple in just 3 steps, this is because the glowing blue is going to cover most of it anyway and also these models faces are really really small. Not really worth adding too much deepness to them faces.

So for the glowing blue glaze i took a tip of light blue and watered down to the point where it is just water tinted blue, here you can see it:

Once you have that consistency you dip the brush in it and pull it through the paper until it dries out completely. Make sure you pull it so much that it appears to be completely dry, but dont press the brush agaisnt the paper. With the brush like this you go over the parts of the model you want to ''glow'' and apply brush strokes on them in 1 direction, doesnt matter how you put the brush, just make them 1 directional. IF the brush is dry enough you will see how a small amount of tinted water is left on the model but it dries almost instantly. So keep giving strokes like this until the area gets more and more tinted (blue in this case) to the desired point.

I have to say that this time i ''blued'' it too much :oops:, but again the face is so small that it wont really be a problem once the model is finished.

Finally must note that you need to realize that since this is a ''real time'' light effect, you need to think where this blue light would reflect in the model, in my case i also painted blue the the tips of the helmet that sorround the eyes.

For the wood grain i used bleached bone and just traced non straight lines through the pole leaving just a little bit of snakeleather visible.

Im finding my technique lacking a bit after the long break, but i hope i can keep improving it while painting this model =).

EDIT: leaving for new place and not able to finish this, very sorry :/. Will try to get it done by september.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (PG champ guide PART1) 14/8/11)

#397 Post by Mireadur »

Im not dead! I finally found some will to restart painting in between my total madness working shifts. Im sorry i couldnt complete the painting guide, but in all truth i feel happy i could even get to paint the model.

About the mini itself i have to say i had a hard time painting it, ive been unable to obtain a good technique on it but maybe it was because i tried more dilluted paints than usual. Still it is an average job masked by the lower resolution of work mate phone camera. I will upload a better pic with the base finished this weekend.

I also started painting my chracian BSB on foot conversion that i did in pages 4 or 5 (not sure) but this weekened ill be busy travelling home and with the campaign so probably cant upload finished pics until mid september :/.

Thanks for watching!
Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (PG champ done, no guide sorry) 06/09/11)

#398 Post by Mireadur »

Updated pics with good light and finished base. Its growing on me! Things to notice are that the flame pattern is slighty different to the rest of the unit. This is because i didnt have the original with me so had to try reproduce it from memory, although since this is the unit champion it can be ok it looks slighty different.

Finally a WIP of the 2 models im working on atm. I want to finish the white lion BSB next weekend, and the DP standard before september is over..

For the white lion BSB i chose red as the main colour but i think im going to change it to turquoise to make it in accordance with the rest of the white lions i have painted which are all turquoise.

And well, tomorrow its campaign day! another battle agaisnt the stunties where unfortunately it is expected a defeat...

EDIT: some group shots of my eataine section of the army. Lamp cant handle wide area pics though :/.

Last edited by Mireadur on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botjer

#399 Post by Botjer »

im just in awe :)
Anvalous

#400 Post by Anvalous »

Your army still makes me smile whenever I see it. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm especially stunned when I look at the PG unit. Especially when I look at your champion (new PG) and the rest of the unit.

Great job.

=D> [-o< =D>
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#401 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

That Dragon Prince looks awesome!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Paulo Cavalcanti

#402 Post by Paulo Cavalcanti »

Wow..

It seems that somebody have been to the space marine detox!! :roll:

I really missed your High Elves! Fantastic job as usual. =D>

Looking forward fot the finished Dragon Prince! :twisted:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30465][b]Visit my Blog of Painted Miniatures:[/b][/url]
Mireadur

#403 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, thanks for all the possitive comments =). Space marine bluff was a short lasting sin indeed :oops:.
Tiralya wrote:That Dragon Prince looks awesome!
You referring to the WIP dprince right tira?
Paulo Cavalcanti wrote: Looking forward fot the finished Dragon Prince! :twisted:
So i guess you guys like the pattern i went for with the DPs? so far it is only given basic colours and washes. For the silver i mixed boltgun metal and grey 1st for a more dark and matt look on it. I hope it looks good when done.

Unfortunately the engine injection in my car failed so i couldnt travel back to work place with many things (painting stuff included) and wont be able to finish anything else until october :(
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#404 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ouch, October, that's harsh. Yea, I was referring to the unfinished DP standard bearer.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#405 Post by Elithmar »

How did you do the NMM on the PGs? I'd been desperately looking around for a NMM gold painting guide and then I found your guide on here and thought :P but then when you posted the finished pictures without the end of the guide I thought :cry: . I really like it on the new PG champion's helmet.

Keep up the good work!
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Mireadur

#406 Post by Mireadur »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:How did you do the NMM on the PGs? I'd been desperately looking around for a NMM gold painting guide and then I found your guide on here and thought :P but then when you posted the finished pictures without the end of the guide I thought :cry: . I really like it on the new PG champion's helmet.

Keep up the good work!
Hi yes, im very sorry for not having posted a complete guide, but my job has this kind of turn outs, im jobless for a while then suddenly get a call and must leave everything behind and depart!

Anyway i did a complete painting guide with the new SM champ some pages back in this log. Here it is the link, just scroll down a bit:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=180

Hope it is useful for you, and thanks for the support =)
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#407 Post by Elithmar »

:oops: Sorry, I didn't realise that you'd done a guide earlier. Thanks for that =D> :D , I'll try it out on my seaguard.

By the way, the sm champ looks amazing, as do all of your models - though you probably already knew that!
Meraklis

#408 Post by Meraklis »

I love your painting style and the way you explain your techniques! bravo and gracias!

P.S. I am copying your Griffon recipe :( It was too good to resist!

What are you painting next? more PG?
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Mireadur

#409 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, im painting the cracian BSB next and then i have to finish once for all the DP standard bearer... That will take all of october unfortunately due to work :/. This weekend however, im lucky enough to have a game both saturday and sunday! wooot

Thanks for the kind words ).
Gray

#410 Post by Gray »

Hey,

I've been enjoying watching your army grow. I think your Phoenix guard look awesome- Gamesworkshop could learn something from your scheme. Glowing eyes= badass fearcausers! Keep up the good work.
Mireadur

#411 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, its been certainly a long break, but im finally back! I havent had much time or motivation for the last 4 months due to work, but i finally recovered the inspiration 2 weeks ago. Thanks to the new unit i created for my HE: the eagle knights of Yveresse.

So i put an end to the Chrace BSB finally. I started this guy on september, but wasnt until december 1st that i came back to him and finish the model. I found myself very uninspired with him, but i guess its good for a restart. Base is unfinished yet.

And here is the champion of my new unit of eagle knights. They are similar to bretonnian pegasus knights in game therms. Eagles are from gamezone. the knights are made of SH parts mainly, although this champion uses parts of the chariot kit.

I plan on painting each eagle with a different appearance. I already started painting the standard bearer of the unit, and its eagle will be an american eagle.

Hopefully i can show the other 2 eagle knights finished for 24th, next time ill be back home from work. Enjoy the holydays and merry christmas all!
Last edited by Mireadur on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bolt Thrower

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Eagle knight and Chrace BSB) 12/12/11)

#412 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Really great to see an update from you! Love the eagle rider. Clever how the upside down shield bit acts as a seat back. Well done!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Mandragoran

#413 Post by Mandragoran »

great idea for the eagle knights of Yveresse! He is looking awesome! Really like the 'little things' like his helmet on the side, or the reverse shield.. and top painting as always! :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34777&start=0]My High Elves[/url]

You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways... ~ Lan Mandragoran
tinman

#414 Post by tinman »

Nice to see you back at it. Great work on that White Lion Standard Bearer and very cool concept on your eagle knights!! Look forward to seeing the unit complete.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#415 Post by Elithmar »

I was actually going to include Eagle Riders of Yvresse in my 8th ed. army book version!

Love them both; your painting is as amazing as ever. I especially like the banner colour on the Chracian.
Darkblade001

#416 Post by Darkblade001 »

Love the BSB, your army is superb. A unit of eagle knights are going to look great.
Mireadur

#417 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks for the comments guys. I already finished the 2nd eagle, but started working 24/7 due to the plans of finishing the construction of the plant for new year, so unfortunately wont be able to finish the unit of 3 before the 2012 :cry: .

At least i want to finish this 2nd eagle rider, so i will post pics (with good light) of both eagle knights and the chracian bsb for the 24-25th weekend.

Merry christmas all.
Leoniidi

#418 Post by Leoniidi »

One of my favorite High Elf armies of all time. Great job mate! Too bad I can't stand the candy land bases, they just seem so rushed compared to the otherwise high standard. :)

You're restoring my fate in the old PG's. I'm still wondering if I should go with delf BG models though..

Looking forward to your updates. :)

Leo
korhian the 28th

#419 Post by korhian the 28th »

mireadur is back! ....

nice bsb...like the shading/highlighting on the banner...

eagle knights....very promising idea.... like them..

keep working.... but sometimes just take your break :wink:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
"right now we can attack in any direction"
Andrew_uk

#420 Post by Andrew_uk »

Wow, how did I miss your most recent update? Once again your work is incredible. I am always impressed when I read this Plog
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log