Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

tinman

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (100% Finished lion chariot 7/5/11)

#301 Post by tinman »

That's just an awesome paint job, I can't wait to see what you do next. Hey, Hey, I'm you're 300 customer...
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Elaithnir

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (100% Finished lion chariot 7/5/11)

#302 Post by Elaithnir »

Hey! My pictures are working again! :D
As always, Mir's painting speed and quality puts us all to shame. Really like the prince. Purple and green makes for a refreshing change no?
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Finally 12 Silverhelms done! 14/5/11)

#303 Post by Mireadur »

Talking about painting speed... i just finished these at last!! speed because i have put 16 hours on them since monday for a grand total of 90 hours of painting with this unit! Undoubtly my longest work so far :shock:

The hardest part has been the revamping of the old 6 models i had painted 2 years ago. In the end i gave up on fully rehashing the models and limited myself to the horse barding and some small details on certain riders like the champion. The new ones were painted using my current techniques and must say they look good in the pics, IRL they dont look as good i believe as the different layers in the barding are perfectly visible if you hold the models on your hand, for example.

I did paint, however, scale by scale with white+silver mitrhil on the riders and horses and also took my time on the golden parts what helps enormously with the final appearance of them. All in all a hard as hell work and long! (6 of these guys were already painted on the 1st page of my log and i started the other 6 last december i believe). Anyway, here are the pics:

Now i want to finish 11 spearmen and 1 archer during the next week to increase the size of my current units. The goodies will come on the last week of may, where im going to paint 3 characters [-o<
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#304 Post by SpellArcher »

Glorious!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#306 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ye gads! They look magnificent! I like that the shields aren't all the same.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Mandragoran

#307 Post by Mandragoran »

Awesome work!! Brilliant!! :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34777&start=0]My High Elves[/url]

You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways... ~ Lan Mandragoran
Andrew_uk

#308 Post by Andrew_uk »

beautiful, I like the variety in the modelling though, mixing old models with new and mixing the heads on the newer ones... it makes them look far more individual

Still not keen on the older horses, though you have done a good job on them
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Mireadur

#309 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks for the comments. From watching the pics i realize i have made some mistakes in lighting the golden chest reinforcements of the riders though.. The left reinforcement has the light facing one side, the right one facing the other #-o
CrazyCarl

#310 Post by CrazyCarl »

Awesome work!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34299]My army[/url]
Loec

#311 Post by Loec »

By far one of the best silver helms units I have seen! The horse's and the blue are incredible!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35442][color=blue]My Painting Log[/color][/url]
[i]Dear Development Team,
Rock is overpowered. Please nerf. Paper is fine.
Sincerely,
Scissors[/i]
tinman

#312 Post by tinman »

I kind of like them too... :wink:
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (big spearmen unit completed 20/5/11)

#313 Post by Mireadur »

I didnt expect so many comments from this very old models! it is most rewarding to see your responses considering the amount of time i had to put into this unit. Thanks so much all.

I dont wanna let the ball stop rolling, so ive worked for the last week on 12 more spearmen to increase my old 20man unit to 32. They have been a 180º turn from previous models, since this time i went for absolute speed painting (12 models in 15 hours).

Details have been painted to a complete minimun, the paintjob on the champion is the only quality wink in the unit.

Ulthuan is a place of endless intrigues, the courts flooded with nobles who prefer to ascend through tongue rather than spear. This is what happened to the unit champion: Formerly a proud noble in my army now he looks upon the new more favoured nobles in the army with bitter contempt in his eyes...

Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZehKaiser

#314 Post by ZehKaiser »

This army is sooo beautiful! Love it! =D> the spears look great. Sorry your poor noble lost some status, however he looks every inch the Sentinel, I can't wait to see more! Also you should do some batreps with pictures, I would love to see those beautiful models on the table doing their thing...
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
Loec

#315 Post by Loec »

Awesome work again! They look every inch how I imagine a Spearmen unit to look.
How did you paint your skin if you don't mind me asking?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35442][color=blue]My Painting Log[/color][/url]
[i]Dear Development Team,
Rock is overpowered. Please nerf. Paper is fine.
Sincerely,
Scissors[/i]
Mireadur

#316 Post by Mireadur »

My skin recipe is as follows: burnished brown base---->elf flesh---->gripphon sephia wash----->elf flesh--->elf flesh+white 50/50----elf flesh+ more white 30/70?---> pure white dots here and there.

Thats for characters, the rank n file spears there had only 2 layers instead 4 after the wash.

Thanks for the cheers =). Ive been invited tomorrow to play into a quite elite gaming club. I will try to take some photos while at the place. Unfortunately the camera is low on batteries and dunno how many im gonna be able to take :/.

Also.. Going to paint a single archer between today and sunday and will devote the last week of this month to paint some characters...
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (dragon mage 24/5/11)

#317 Post by Mireadur »

Hi again guys. I got the dragon mage finished now, but i cant make the blue look good.

So im asking for aid! as you can see in the pics, the blue robes look quite plain. IRL it looks quite darker and better, but i still tried to give a last light without success.

The 1st thing i tried was a blue mixed with more white for a final fine line, but i couldnt make it look well. So i tried to cover the area i want to highlight in pure white then painting very watered blue on it (i dont know how this technique is called in english), but it seems this one works better with red tones than blues. Soo....

How in hell can i make the robe look better? thanks in advance

It certainly looks unfinished atm...

EDIT: a pic with a more natural light where you can see the true colour of the blue robe..

Anvalous

#318 Post by Anvalous »

Fantastic stuff! Those silverhelms really make me smile! The heavy blue-red contrast on the dragon mage is also stellar. Thank you for sharing!
Andrew_uk

#319 Post by Andrew_uk »

Hmmm I can see what you mean about the blue, overall it's a beautifully painted model but the blue looks slightly flat

I actually think you don't need to change the blue much, I think I would just do one extra highlight make it just tiny amount lighter than the current one and blend it in... what would really make your robe jump out a bit more is to make more of a feature of the red lining; the red lining of the robe was a nice touch but it is lost against the red of the dragon so it needs contrast to make it jump out at you if you were to do a swirly white pattern over the red making it look like scrolled writing I reckon the whole robe would jump out a lot more.

Hate to be a pain but I also noticed you forgot to do the shoes on thos 12 speed painted spearmen, I noticed it on the pic of the back of the unit half have leather shoes half have black
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
tinman

#320 Post by tinman »

Andrew_uk wrote:I actually think you don't need to change the blue much, I think I would just do one extra highlight make it just tiny amount lighter than the current one and blend it in
Agreed. You do such an amazing job high-lighting all your colors. The royal blue isn't high-lighted enough. However, I am not sure I like the two different blues together. The last picture I like it better, but, still not sure...
Mireadur wrote: So i tried to cover the area i want to highlight in pure white then painting very watered blue on it (i dont know how this technique is called in english),
It's called - staining.
Over all - VERY NICE work again!! =D> =D>
Mireadur

#321 Post by Mireadur »

Andrew_uk wrote:Hmmm I can see what you mean about the blue, overall it's a beautifully painted model but the blue looks slightly flat

I actually think you don't need to change the blue much, I think I would just do one extra highlight make it just tiny amount lighter than the current one and blend it in... what would really make your robe jump out a bit more is to make more of a feature of the red lining; the red lining of the robe was a nice touch but it is lost against the red of the dragon so it needs contrast to make it jump out at you if you were to do a swirly white pattern over the red making it look like scrolled writing I reckon the whole robe would jump out a lot more.
Umm interesting points that you raise here. Im going to put some work on either the blue and giving more detail to the red.. Maybe adding flames coming from the red lining into the blue?
Andrew_uk wrote:Hate to be a pain but I also noticed you forgot to do the shoes on thos 12 speed painted spearmen, I noticed it on the pic of the back of the unit half have leather shoes half have black
Hehe, why do you think it was ''speed paint'' :lol: I think shoes can be very well ignored when painting regiments considering theres the static grass in the base later. Unfortunately yes. I noticed about this time after i had finished the original 20 spearmen :mrgreen:

EDIT: I did work on the points raised by andrew and i think im gonna call it a day if you guys give it the approval. I further lighted the robe. I added a gold trim to the red linning. And finally i found a mistake in the flames since i chose yellow as base colour being the skirt white so it was hard to tell where the fire finished. So i switched the pattern and made red the base colour, now can see well the fire pattern limits on the white skirt.

Still i find something wrong in the model, probably it has to do that i used red +red dragon #-o

Going for the Phoenix guard finally. I want to finish 5 before this month is over and the rest of the unit plus the captain next month.. We shall see.
tinman

#322 Post by tinman »

There's not a thing wrong with that mage (when its off the dragon). The new highlights are great and I didn't even notice the flames on the trim on first go around, now that you changed it - awesome!! But you are right, when on the dragon there is something... off. I personally don't think its the red on red. I'm going to bring up the 2 blues again?
Bolt Thrower

#323 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I'm with Tinman, I think. The blue on the reins of the dragon and the seat back don't sit well with the blue of the mage's robes, in my opinion. I'm picturing them more of a cream or maybe replicate the white with flames on it (though that may be too much).

That said, a-ma-zing job. I'm going for a red dragon, too, so I will definitely be studying this one!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Mireadur

#324 Post by Mireadur »

Umm i think you are right guys. I actually noticed a bad appearance already on the dragon alone between the red and the turquoise. With the other rider being green it wasnt so bad, but this one being regal blue doesnt work i guess =).

So, thinking in changing the colour of the reins and the seat, but i need a colour which goes well with both riders! (remember the dragon prince rider is painted on dark angels green).
Ptolemy

#325 Post by Ptolemy »

Anytime you need a color that will go well with multiple other colors the only real answer is a neutral.

I'm thinking a light yellow-brown (or cream as was already suggested) will work with either rider. Its a shame, because I think the turquoise looks great with the dragon.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Mireadur

#326 Post by Mireadur »

Ptolemy wrote:Anytime you need a color that will go well with multiple other colors the only real answer is a neutral.

I'm thinking a light yellow-brown (or cream as was already suggested) will work with either rider. Its a shame, because I think the turquoise looks great with the dragon.
Umm you think it goes well? Now im more confused then #-o

What colour would be this cream?.

EDIT: i think the problem doesnt lie in the combination of 2 colours, but when 3 or more are combined. In this case it is the red, turquoise, dark blue and maybe even the purple of dragons tongue. The solution for me atm is to substitute the turquoise from the reims with a neutral colour as has been mentioned by you guys.

Question is which would be the best choice!? [-o<
Bolt Thrower

#327 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Mireadur wrote:Question is which would be the best choice!?
Whenever I think cream or neutral, I always think working around Bleached Bone or Dheneb Stone. For me those are the best place to start. The Bleached bone I think is a bit warmer but is lighter so would contrast nicely with the dragon and both the blue and green of the riders. Dheneb Stone is a bit darker which may look a little too dark against both dragon and riders.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
tinman

#328 Post by tinman »

Would it be contrary to your theme/story to have the reins and saddle back the same regal blue as the cloak? You could go darker or lighter and you could put flames on the bottom edge of the reins to tie everything together. Perhaps that could solve your problems.
Mireadur

#329 Post by Mireadur »

But if i painted the reins regal blue, would i have the same issue when put the prince on the dragon instead the mage?

What do you think guys? Maybe the best choice is going for a whiteish/bone plus flames after all? Or maybe the best is just leave it as it is, considering the prince is going to be the main rider after all?.. :?
Ptolemy

#330 Post by Ptolemy »

I hate to spend other people's money...but I would honestly recommend getting a second dragon for the mage.

You clearly painted this dragon with the Prince in mind. The banner, reins, shield and leg-cloak (whatever you call it) were all clearly meant to go together and look awesome. The green pops right off the red (as it should, give its a complimentary color).

I say leave it. This is the Prince's dragon. If he chooses to lend it out once in awhile....the mage will have to make do.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]