Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's O&G log Biggun mob done! 06/08/17

#961 Post by Prince of Spires »

You sir, have a very different definition of "minimum table top quality" then I do...

Congrats on getting the army finished! =D> I've really enjoyed following your progress here the past 3 years. And I do hope you'll keep painting more, so we'll have some more great updates :)

Did you enjoy painting the O&G? They look like a fun army to paint. How does it compare to some of the other armies you've done?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#962 Post by Mireadur »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I think you may be just the person to help me as I can tell you are quite a distance from home and still painting. Did you fly with your paints? I'm thinking about taking mine this time, but I'm not quite sure.

If you did, how did it work out? Was it worth it?
No i actually bring a case with me in the car at the beginning of the year with all the models i plan on painting each year, on the plane with all the bullshit going on i just dont take anything at all. It really sucks man. I think you can take them no problem either on the checked luggage or also on board since they are small pots inside a transparent plastic bag, but the overall amount cannot exceed 100ml i think. better just with the checked baggage. The models i remember i took a few on board with me once and they didnt say anything, just looked at me strange hehehe. If you put them with the cargo chances are everything will be broken when you land.
Prince of Spires wrote:You sir, have a very different definition of "minimum table top quality" then I do...

Congrats on getting the army finished! =D> I've really enjoyed following your progress here the past 3 years. And I do hope you'll keep painting more, so we'll have some more great updates :)

Did you enjoy painting the O&G? They look like a fun army to paint. How does it compare to some of the other armies you've done?

Rod
Thanks man. Yes was actually very light and a joy to paint orcs. as do dont have to make your brain work too much at all with metal reflections nmm or blends. Of course you could paint them this way but i think its not worth and i dont really think they gonna look much better like that. Then the monsters here and there help to break up the monotony of green skin. squigs, trolls, etc. So yes definitely a very fun and relaxing army to paint.

For the rest of the year, after i finish Azhag, all ive got here its elves (yeah back to HE...) i have to do some revamping to several units and still have a few characters to paint. I also wanna paint a unit of the new IoB seaguard so by the end of august and forward you're gonna see elves back here. Im a little bit concerned about how good can paint them anymore but i think i will do it better just after a few models practice. We shall see )
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#963 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:You sir, have a very different definition of "minimum table top quality" then I do...
What he said...

Wonderful job, congratulations!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#964 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking forward to more elves :)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#965 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ja, car isn't really an option for this trip haha. I do worry about air pressure if i check them though. We'll see.

I can't count you as done with that army until you paint Azog (I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with that) and do some bases :lol:
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#966 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Ja, car isn't really an option for this trip haha. I do worry about air pressure if i check them though. We'll see.
A friend of mine took paints with on an air trip and the bottles popped open in the cargo, so at least pack them in multiple plastic bags!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Mireadur

#967 Post by Mireadur »

Im finding much trouble to paint the model guys, Its full of very thin and useless ''trish'' detail and i dont know where or how to place lights!. Yesterday i gave up in despair and gonna give it another try today. :evil:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#968 Post by SpellArcher »

We have faith.

:)
Mireadur

#969 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:We have faith.

:shock:

EDIT: i could find (thanks god) wood glue for 1,89€ so i based the big squig.

i gave them some artificial shadow reflected on the land. the white dots are wood glue waiting to dry and become transparent to simulate water (salive) drops.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#970 Post by SpellArcher »

What rules does this squig have Mireadur?
Mireadur

#971 Post by Mireadur »

its a rare choice monster and handlers that can move through terrain, then spits squigs for 2d6 str 5 impacts, after the initial hit can happen also a small round template of squig vomits. It can shoot as a template instead of normally also. Its pretty good now that i think about it.

EDIT: i finished the wyvern, the lord will be done by next weekend i guess. It was really dificult to pull it off. But im happy with the result. Quite pleased actually. The wings membrane not sure about its colour matching the emerald back scales but i wanted to aim for a tone more akin to what it should be, if something like that existed that is.

RE.Lee

Re: Mireadur's O&G log wyvern done 13/08/17

#972 Post by RE.Lee »

Now thats absolutely fantastic! That head especially is so full of character! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#973 Post by Luna Guardian »

You've really captured the details on the model. Spectacular =D>

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#974 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:i could find (thanks god) wood glue for 1,89€ so i based the big squig.
But but but... You could have just gotten it from GW. Fast and easy. Only € 5,- or so per small bottle. And it's the special GW kind, which doesn't actually stick to anything.
Mireadur wrote:template of squig vomits
:lol:

Great looking model :) Looking forward to the lord on top.

Rod

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#975 Post by Mireadur »

hey guys thanks, i didnt expect so good critics.

I lost 4 hours looking for a method to be able to paint the goddamn model, trying out colour after colour, washes and painting over again. I was having a really bad time painting it until i decided to paint it in small areas: i finished the rocks 1st, then i did the nails and horns, then the metallics, then i finished up the head (which i painted twice) and finally i went for the rest of the body after i finally found a way to paint it.

Ive darkened the scales on its back with a blue wash as im still not 100% possitive about how the emerald green combines with the blueish green from the membranes. Im thinking maybe in repainting them lighting to white instead of bright yellow. I still have to think about that. About the orc i started painting it and hope to have it ready this saturday, then can start painting elves again :|
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#976 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:I was having a really bad time painting it until i decided to paint it in small areas: i finished the rocks 1st, then i did the nails and horns, then the metallics, then i finished up the head (which i painted twice) and finally i went for the rest of the body after i finally found a way to paint it.
Leaving the harder stuff til last often makes sense. Great job!

=D>
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's O&G AZHAG 95% 21/08/17

#977 Post by Mireadur »

Hey guys, just wanted to post these wips with just the evil sunz flag to be painted. Light might not be the best unfortunately. I tried to make the iron crown in psicodelic colours more even than the original and also enforced the purpleish feeling on the orc by painting some parts in reddish-purple.

The quality of the cast was quite so-so in Azhag (its a recast) and this combined with the model being much more busier than i thought at 1st glance has made it really laborious to paint it, and im not even finished yet after 1 week working on it. I havent focused seriously on the orc until yesterday though, because of this very reason: Was hard to paint.

Sooo, technically its not my finest job, i think is because of the cast itself with very small faults that you dont notice until you bring the brush close, but about the colour im very happy with how i painted it. You may notice also that ive changed the colour on the wyvern back scales to one matching the wing membranes better.

As you can see in the last very close up, surfaces are very far from being smooth, which makes it quite hard and unpleasant to paint, but was this or 80€ for a finecast copy which i also found quite a rough material (Gorbad model i painted last month is finecast). Give me metal any day.
Anyway i think ill finish up the banner tomorrow. And hopefully i can take some pictures with true southern light next monday that ill be finally home.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's O&G AZHAG 95% 21/08/17

#978 Post by SpellArcher »

I'm loving your Azhag Mireadur, he's such a character!
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's O&G AZHAG DONE, ORCS DONE! 23/08/17

#979 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks! yeessssss army done for god's sake 1st army fully done after 22 years of warhammering! yesssss. A lifes work come to fruition today! An army fully painted that i wont need to repaint because its well painted!

Light in the bedroom is horrible so i had to take pics with the flash. Thanks all for following and the support. I can come back to elves now!

elendor_f

#980 Post by elendor_f »

Mireadur wrote:Thanks! yeessssss army done for god's sake 1st army fully done after 22 years of warhammering! yesssss. A lifes work come to fruition today! An army fully painted that i wont need to repaint because its well painted!
I have seen only some random pictures from this thread but congratulations! I am truly impressed by your dedication and your painting standard =D>

Also, cheers from a fellow Spanish :wink:
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#982 Post by Prince of Spires »

Congrats on getting a complete army painted. I'm guessing you're glad GW is no longer releasing army books, since then you would at some point need more / new models ;)

Azhag looks great. A lovely centre piece for a colorful army

Thanks for sharing all the pictures. It was a joy to follow the progress.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#983 Post by SpellArcher »

Loving the banner!

It's really good in itself but I think it really sets the model off too. I wasn't quite sure about the turquoise wing effect but you've now got a nice gradation from the blue standard through that to the green. Plus it kind of gathers the model together vertically.
Mireadur

#984 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:Loving the banner!

It's really good in itself but I think it really sets the model off too. I wasn't quite sure about the turquoise wing effect but you've now got a nice gradation from the blue standard through that to the green. Plus it kind of gathers the model together vertically.
Thanks heh, i just wanted to keep the banner from stealing focus from the orc, what would have happened, i think, with a whiteish banner; and also continuing with the general dark feel of the model since, hes controlled by the nagash crown et all, by using a deep blue. I guess it also worked for that though :mrgreen:.
Mireadur

#985 Post by Mireadur »

Some pics from the finally finished squigoth (although im thinking in adding some orc shields on the sides of the howdah)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's O&G squigoth fully finished 30/08/17

#986 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:im thinking in adding some orc shields on the sides of the howdah
It would add some colour but I guess it might detract from that lovely, tank-like exterior!

Mireadur

#987 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:
Mireadur wrote:im thinking in adding some orc shields on the sides of the howdah
It would add some colour but I guess it might detract from that lovely, tank-like exterior!

Yes those are exactly my thoughts hahahaha, thats why im still dubious about it. Ive been thinking in only 2 shields so i dont hide much but at the same time it does, so, i guess, umm i dunno... Well, heh i dont know. Not gonna happen soon anyway. Im focusing these days in assembling a lot of slaanesh models so i can start painting them next year. In 1 week the baby gonna be with me and also will be working 10 hours a day so my paiting ratio is gonna tank completely.

I think this squigoth is my best model painted ever. Its my favourite at least.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#988 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:Ive been thinking in only 2 shields so i dont hide much but at the same time it does, so, i guess, umm i dunno.
Maybe when you finally get the time paint the shields but leave them off if they don't look appropriate?
Mireadur wrote:In 1 week the baby gonna be with me and also will be working 10 hours a day
This will hit like a freight train.
Mireadur wrote:I think this squigoth is my best model painted ever. Its my favourite at least.
Photo with him as the centrepiece?
Mireadur

#989 Post by Mireadur »

Sure, next game i bring it ill try to take a decent picture. Is only that that we only do videos nowadays instead of pics..

About the shields umm not sure if its worth spending 1 or 2 hours painting'em and then discard.. For the moment im very busy with RL and assembling a huge lot of models i had in boxes so im taking a small break from painting. I have Slaanesh assembled now, lets see when i get the time to start on it.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE new year new purpose 23/01/18

#990 Post by Mireadur »

After 4 years im back on elves! I hadnt touch a brush for the last 5 months, trully busy with work and the baby, but i gathered valor and got on it finally with... Elves again.

I want to paint a small unit of the latest Seaguard, these will be the unit colours, though im going to be swapping them on each model to make them a little bit more fun to paint.