Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Phoenix Guard captain WIP 8/6/11)

#361 Post by Mireadur »

Lol so thats 3 people and 3 different opinions about the blade :lol: :roll:

Umm...Should i make a poll? hehehe Need more opiniooons!

The flame backwards... Well the one in the pot is the magical ethernal flame.. Thats why it is backwards =P~
Bolt Thrower

#362 Post by Bolt Thrower »

The halberd's a tough one. To me, I don't think I'd go with flames as they are on the cloak--it just doesn't evoke a sharp edge in my mind. On mine I used a mix of shining gold and blood red to bring about a metallic reddish orange color which could be interesting here. Or maybe it's as simple as silver with a red wash applied.

If all that fails, the gold already suggested would be my next thought.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Mireadur

#363 Post by Mireadur »

ummm i think im gonna try a good nmm gold for the blade. also will correct the flames on the pot. Will show the finished result later tonight. :)
Calaedor

#364 Post by Calaedor »

Where are these said finished results! Im dying for an update =P
"Kind of like sleeping with someone before you dump them, except instead of sex its teclis.”
- eriktheguy.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#365 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Calaedor wrote:Where are these said finished results! Im dying for an update =P
He said later tonight, I assume he meant his time, it's not even 3pm over there =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Calaedor

#366 Post by Calaedor »

I sometimes forget that....it’s the next day here! lol. Spose I’ll wake up to find a nice update then!
"Kind of like sleeping with someone before you dump them, except instead of sex its teclis.”
- eriktheguy.
Mireadur

#367 Post by Mireadur »

Lol thanks for the interest. Unfortunately i just arrived home from work and friends also called to go out for a dinner.

I will upload a pic with the finished character before i go to sleep anyhow. Im also dying for finishing it :p The banner on the base, however, will have to wait until tomorrow i fear.

EDIT: I finished the captain in just 1 more hour of work. Now i will try to get the banner done between today and tomorrow. Hope everybody likes it as much as i do!

The blade almost has a full NMM as i went over the true gold with a lot of brown (snakeleather, vomit brown and white is what i used) afterwards. I think it looks much better in the pics than IRL where it is not nearly as smooth, but that is the 2nd time ever i try a NMM on a blade, something i find extremely difficult for some reason!

The only other time i ever tried a NMM was 3 years ago in my slaneesh lord's blade that ive shown here sometime ago:

Calaedor

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Phoenix Guard captain finish 9/6/11)

#368 Post by Calaedor »

Yay! I did get to wake up and find an awesomely painted model. Dude it looks fantastic (all of your stuff does really. Loving the glowing eyes on the PG. Original and awesome to boot!
- eriktheguy.
Bolt Thrower

#369 Post by Bolt Thrower »

The gold was the right way to go, I think. Awesome!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
tinman

#370 Post by tinman »

Amazing stuff, as per usual!! That nmg looks perfect. Man, I like your work :mrgreen: ... And, I have to give you the credit for the "glowingness" (is that a word?) I tried on my Doombull - those eys you did are very cool indeed.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Mireadur

#371 Post by Mireadur »

Bolt Thrower wrote:The gold was the right way to go, I think. Awesome!
I agree too. Cheers for Ptolemy for his technically perfect opinion!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#372 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

That halberd looks very nice, I like the gold along the blade but then transitioning to silver, looks great.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
korhian the 28th

#373 Post by korhian the 28th »

Great!

love your colour scheme
and awesome pg!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
"right now we can attack in any direction"
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (PG cpt+scenic base and unit pics 11/6/11)

#374 Post by Mireadur »

I finished the scenic base finally! its been 12-13 hours total, a lot of time but when i look at the pics im posting now its been really worth it. The whole unit is looking amazing and i count the days until i have finally painted all of them!

Bunch of pics to follow. i hope you guys like the glowing eyes PGuards and his noble captain Caranthas! (yeah thats how my PG captain is called hehe).

And now some unit pics... I put my old hero with the phoenix shield in the unit so i would have a full row to show. Tomorrow im starting the next 5 PGs, still 14 to go!

Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tinman

#375 Post by tinman »

Not sure what else to say that I or many others have already said. Nice frik'n job, I like it!! :mrgreen:
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#376 Post by Elithmar »

Wow! I wish I could paint nmm like that (infact I wish I could paint nmm!).

I think the fact that the captain stands much higher than the other PGs is really good - it helps him to stand out from (or above) the rest.

Great work - keep painting!
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
tinman

#377 Post by tinman »

Nothing new to post today??!! What's wrong with you? PAINT FASTER... :wink:
Mireadur

#378 Post by Mireadur »

I didnt paint today but played a game agaisnt dwarves. Not campaign though just a random game. IT was a glorious afternoon though as i could defeat dwarves quite clearly.

Also and most important is how the PG performed. It is now clear that Asuryan was very pleased by my paintjob on his chosen warriors.

The PAINTED (this is very important as everybody knows well painted units get the favour of their gods during battle) unit of 20PG+captain defeated during the battle a unit of 12 dwarven scouts (whats their name in english?), a unit of slayers, and then helped by a unit of 24 seaguard they defeated 21 ironbreakers and 24 clan warriors. Have to note also that while fighting the slayers the PG held a combined charge of 24 warriors and 21 ironbreakers (lost the fight by 4 but rolled a 4 and didnt flee!).

They finished the battle with 3 banners and the battlestandard captured. The captain also killed a scout champion, an ironbreaker champion, a giantslayer and a runesmith hero in duels.
tinman

#379 Post by tinman »

Ahhh, that is a good day indeed. Gratz on defeating them dirty 'lil buggers :)
I am guessing I need then to finish a few more units if I too want the favor of the Gods [-o<
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#380 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Congratulations, a practice match before you start your champagne against them?
Mireadur

#381 Post by Mireadur »

yeah, i hope it goes as good as this one went. We both played with campaign armies so i can be moredately optimistic.

EDIT: i played another battle on sunday. It was an endless 5 hours battle with 2800 points agaisnt empire (my empire friend really needs to get over his maniac attitude over dice and think decide his actions faster hehe).

The battle ended in a draw, although i must say i deserved defeat which only didnt happen because, as you know, Asuryan loves painted elven armies :mrgreen: . I rolled snake eyes for a demoralize check which prevented his general unit to charge my main units flank in the subsequent chase.

It was a sad day however as his empire general managed to defeat my foot dual wield prince in a duel to the death.

My WH 40k friend also wants to start playing again an he even went back on painting his blood angels. So im going to be preparing some campaign rules for 40k and get a go at it very soon. I probably will switch for a few months to my space marines after i finish painting the PG and the small surprise model im preparing for wednesday/thursday..

Will make a new painting log for the marines when the time comes. The army has already a few stuff finished so will be loaded up with pics :mrgreen:
Mireadur

#382 Post by Mireadur »

I began to work on my owns warhammer dragon's breath warmachine. Ive been learning the last 2 days through a guy called ''Hendarion'' (a godly painter he is) in the warseer forum about the technique called ''juicing'' to further improve my blendings and i decided i would give it a try with these models.

So far i spent 3 hours with the minis, 2 of which ''juicing'' the turquoise on the robes. I discovered new concepts about how to work with really thinned down paints that will be a revolution in the future for me (lets say that i gained a level at a painting minis, or how it was said when i played everquest back in 2000..Ding! :roll: ).

I have also been requested a new tutorial like the one on the SM bladelord and want to do it with the PG champion model. Will go on details about this ''juicing'' blending then, where hopefully i have also grasped it much better so it can be of actual use to the readers interested.

Right now i feel like a baby who just began to be conscious of the world out there.. Exciting after so many years painting, i really felt yesterday like i was grabbing the brushes for the very first time. I went on painting like mad filled with passion, like those times you see you are achieving a magnificient paintjob and cant move off the chair because you cant wait to see it done :mrgreen:.

Anyway here are the wips so far. The pics came with really bad colour, specially the 1st one which came super flashy so i had to tone it down with the photos PC program so it would be visible. Im sure when the models are fully finished the effect will show much more, also it is the 1st time i try this ''juicing''. I learned a lot just in this 1st go and im pretty confident that i can improve the technique a lot until i also manage to get those seamless transitions that we see in the models painted by the true masters of this hobby.

Well... Here are the pics. Maybe wednesday CET night i can post the finished warmachine :p.

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#383 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Gone up a lvl? You were a high level before, have you attained godlike status? The robes of those crew members look fantastic!
tinman

#384 Post by tinman »

...you must explain asap!! Wow.
Meraklis

#385 Post by Meraklis »

looking very good! Cant wait for more details!!
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Anvalous

#386 Post by Anvalous »

I am loving this log! The PG, especially, make me happy. High Five!

=D> =D> =D>
Mireadur

#387 Post by Mireadur »

Hi again. I finished the crew finally. i spent a lot of time slowly figuring out this new technique although i havent really tested it much except on the robes. In the pics they look good, but they are certainly really far from what i want when i watch them while ive been painting the rest of the model!

Well so the crew are done. Since the machine is going to be based on the greek fire (mantics dragon's breath warmachine) i chose as secondary colour a very classic red/orange. Ill try to get better pics with natural light when the model is finished.

And finally a pic with what will be the machine itself. I used the lower part of a 6th ed metal boltthrower and planted on top of it the metal part sold by Mantic of their dragon's breath elven machine.

Like Tiralya would say.. GAWDS! that thing is ugly.

About the glazing technique a friend showed me yesterday another video of some guy in the US who explains the whole thing really really well while paiting a sanguinor (the model of the moment for doing nmm glazing yes).

Basically it consists in thinning down the paint even more than a proper wash. They use brushes 0 or better even 1 size. Wipping it almost completely in the paper towel and start adding layer after layer. The brush has been dried enough so it just leaves a really thin layer on each stroke which dries instantly so you can add hundreds of these layers without any downtime. Still is obviously a very long process which is can be as good as you want to spend time on layering.

Still the process is very easy itself, you just need a proper brush and thinning the paint enough (and practice of course). The real secret will be how you apply and combine the light, mid and dark tones for the texture you want to attain.

Not setting foot on mars or anything but for me this has been a true revolution as i had never watched this ''high end'' techniques in action before. I hope i can develop them through the next years and someday also be able to paint those fantastic and seamless transitions we all love :)
Last edited by Mireadur on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinman

#388 Post by tinman »

Might there be a link to this video? It looks great!!
Mireadur

#389 Post by Mireadur »

tinman wrote:Might there be a link to this video? It looks great!!
Sure. 1st is the video the mate on warseer showed us. It is in french but it shows on minute 9 how amazing wet blending is done

http://www.figurines-tv.com/kws/modules ... lv&ext=flv

Next 2 are the most interesting, since theres a guy from the US who speaks, and he is actually really informative.

He shows you the consistency of paint, he shows you the brush he uses, he talks about the techniques. well just watch it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSOt8QINtK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSOt8QINtK0
wilko

#390 Post by wilko »

Gotta say, everything you have in your log here is absolutely fantastic, really impressed with how your models have turned out and can only imagine the amount of time and effort which went into each model!

Also thanks for posting those videos, I've started to try out the technique on my BSB, lets hope it works out. Maybe one day i'll get to the level of painting which your at now!
Never buy elves in bulk..... I have learnt my lesson!!