Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Red_Lep

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (Good pics of LSG and lion rider 4/2/11)

#241 Post by Red_Lep »

What color of hair are you looking for? I've used Bleached Bone with a heavy wash of Gryphonne Sepia to great results.(I've lost the pics unfortunately)
Mireadur

#242 Post by Mireadur »

Hi. Im looking for a perfect blonde, i guess.

I thought i had it down, but lately (in the seaguard and this guy) it hasnt turned out very well.
Red_Lep

#243 Post by Red_Lep »

Found a pic(not the greatest quality though)

Malcontent

#244 Post by Malcontent »

Mireadur wrote:Hi. Im looking for a perfect blonde, i guess.

I thought i had it down, but lately (in the seaguard and this guy) it hasnt turned out very well.
The problem is that painting blond with yellow as the base makes it look artificial.

Try the method at
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... 2a&start=7
Mireadur

#245 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, i will have to try sometime about that method of just base colour+wash. ALthough i would add more layers after the wash if i want to attain a better final result.

About the GW guide i found it quite poor must say #-o . Anyway i use a brown as base colour also, not yellow...

Anyway all this stopped being a problem because im going to change the captains head for the head of the new plastic white lion champion :mrgreen:

Thanks for the ideas to both, even if im swapping this guys head, still i have to find a reliable method of painting blonde for future minis!!!

In other order of news. I spent today playing the mighty empires campaign we are doing 4 friends.

The armies for this campaign are HE, orcs, dwarves and empire. I took the camera with me today forgot to take pics other than some works from the O&G player. Here they are:

I promise i will take pics from all the armies the next time we can play, what unfortunately wont be before 2 months :(

Finally this is the WIP of my own phoenix guard captain. I really would appreciate comments on it if you think it is a good enough model to fullfill the role of captain of the best troops who serve the phoenix king.

Im thinking in either painting the cone on top of the column like sparkling magic, either cutting it and making the flame of Asuryan with Gstuff. What do you guys think it'd be better?

Bolt Thrower

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (O&G pics and PG capt WIP 6/2/11)

#246 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I really like that PG captain model. I think that putting in the flame would be very cool. If you didn't want to GS it, you could use the banner bit from the PG kit.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Mireadur

#247 Post by Mireadur »

Bolt Thrower wrote:I really like that PG captain model. I think that putting in the flame would be very cool. If you didn't want to GS it, you could use the banner bit from the PG kit.

Umm, i didnt know there was one... Going to check ebay now, at the very least to attempt copying the flame. Im scared about Gstuff :oops:
Bolt Thrower

#248 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Mireadur wrote: Umm, i didnt know there was one... Going to check ebay now, at the very least to attempt copying the flame. Im scared about Gstuff :oops:
You can see it on this sprue under the Banner. There's a Phoenix Bit and a Flame bit. The PG kit comes with two of them so if you know someone who's bought the kit they should have an extra. I'd send you mine, but the post cost to Spain from the US probably wouldn't be worth it. :D
Mireadur

#249 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks for the infos guys, i just bought in a bitz store that flame along a few more things like the standard! it came for 4 pounds shipping costs included =).
Dragon.Prince63

#250 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

Don't tell me that O&G banner is freehand... :D
Elaithnir

#251 Post by Elaithnir »

I believe it is... which makes me a sad panda. :(
Mireadur

#252 Post by Mireadur »

yes it is, i believe freehands and colour selection are his best skills. You should see the evil sun he painted on gorbad's boar head plate. I hope for our next meeting he brings gorbad and Azhag on wyvern (this one choice of colours is better than the GW version, technique is not, though).

EDIT: btw, both trolls in the back corners are made with GS, well the body is, the head, fins and arms are from the box. =) It is difficult to notice this unless you are told so and hold the minis on your hands.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (WL capt and SHelms revamp 13/2/11)

#253 Post by Mireadur »

So i finally finished revamping these models. About hte WL captain i decided to change the head in hopes this one is more of the taste of everyone here =). Still i improved the old head blonde colour so i will use this head eventually when i paint the new WL infantry of which i bought 2 boxes (will do this after i finish all the army and i guess will sell my painted old metals).

About the Silver helms, as you know im working on the 2nd row for a 12 men unit. The problem i have is that the 1st 6 men were painted 2 years ago, when there was a big auto impossed pressure to get units done and also my technique was not what it is today.

So along painting the 2nd 6 man row, i had to improve a little bit the original. I had clear i couldnt aspire to paint again all 6 man, so i had to make a decission: i repainted the horse barding changing from white to my greatly perfectioned turquoise technique. Also i corrected gold parts on the champion and on the far (right in the pic) guy.

It is amazing to see how much my skill has improved in these 2 years of painting HE, when i 1st finished these models i thought they were very good, now when i look at them i feel self shame for having thought such a think before!!

Anyway here are the pics. Tell me what you think of the new head for the WL captain pls :)

Bolt Thrower

#254 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Shame? I wish I could be that ashamed! :lol:

Lovely Silver Helms! I really like the style of horse you chose. It goes really well with your turquoise them.
Consadine

#255 Post by Consadine »

When I go through the rest of this thread, it will be with a notebook! Lots of things to learn here. And a lot of things to go "Coooooool" with nerd envy :lol: I like your painting style.

=D>
Dragon.Prince63

#256 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

Oh my goodness......
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#257 Post by SpellArcher »

As time goes by those 5th edition Silver Helms grow and grow on me and you've done an excellent job on them!

The head is good...

:)
Mireadur

#258 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:
The head is good...

:)
Heh, i thought noone would comment on the head swap!! :lol:

So i guess this new head gots everybody's aproval then... So be it hehe. About the S helms it is nice to see how such a small revamp on them (the turquoise cloth only) can improve their appearance so much! I think the other 6 are going to be way way better with full metals highlighted with my latest techniques and much more carefully painted.

To get an idea of what i mean, the old silver helms you see in the pics took me 32 hours of work before, plus about 5 hours ive put on them on the rehashing (was that a word?). While the other 6 are going to be somewhere around 55 hours. A huge difference in paint time as you can see. But it will be worth it i hope [-o< .

Ok i will post on late sunday/monday the finished horses. they are complete now except for the cloth highlights. Thanks for the comments guys =).
Gildesh

#259 Post by Gildesh »

the new head is as you hoped an improvement upon the old i think the hair just didnt seem to flow with the rest of the model before where as this now looks totally stunning. keep up the good work and as always ill be watching for updates and wishing i could paint true metals :D
check my painting log http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33196&start=0
Mireadur

#260 Post by Mireadur »

Gildesh wrote:the new head is as you hoped an improvement upon the old i think the hair just didnt seem to flow with the rest of the model before where as this now looks totally stunning. keep up the good work and as always ill be watching for updates and wishing i could paint true metals :D
Thanks for the support with the new head :P. But what the those problems you've got with true metals? they are very easy to paint i believe specially silver! Since from your words i think you like how i paint mine.. Tell me what is what you cant do exactly, maybe can put some light into it ). Also, did you check the bladelord guide on page 7 (i think)? I think that even if not very well explained at least can see the process of advancement through the pics.

About the horses i had promised myself to finish today, well ive been quite tired and unmotivated this week and all i did was sleeping after work #-o. Only today i managed to paint a poor 1 hour so i guess wont see those damn horses done until the next weekend.

I swear painting cavalry units gets over me (painting any kind of non individual model to be truth :mrgreen: )
Si'anelle of Avelorn
Dreamer of Worlds

#261 Post by Si'anelle of Avelorn »

Oh, thy Silver helms are most fair. 'Tis long since I hath seen 5th Edition models cloaked in such artistry. Thou do have a talent my Lord Mireadur, a talent that is kindly to the eye.
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Warhammer/webbanner.jpg[/img]
Gildesh

#262 Post by Gildesh »

im not sure quite what the problem is i just nnever seem to be able to make it look quite rite. im sure the more i practice the better i will get but again thanks for the offer of help its much apreciated :mrgreen:
check my painting log http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33196&start=0
Mireadur

#263 Post by Mireadur »

All i do is silver--> watered down black wash---> silver mixed with a bit of white (very little) on the parts where there should be the lights... The camera flash does the rest! (and some practice too ok ;P)

Thanks for the comments again =)
Mireadur

#264 Post by Mireadur »

Finished at last!!!

After several months painting a lot and specially maintaining the shedules while working 11 and 12 hours a day, i guess i finally needed a break and it happened on this month. I painted only half of what i had been painting lately, but finally managed to put the last brush on these 6 horses.

I thnik they look much better in pics than in reality, maybe under the light of our southern spanish summer days i can speak different, anyway here they are.

Im gonna start the riders today and expect the unit fully completed by the end of March. In the last picture you can also see how i moved the command guys onto the new horses (except the standard which i decided would keep the white barding on the horse with its red runes). I removed the shields from musician and champion since im going to paint much better new ones for all the 1st row. When the unit is completed, all but the charging lances and the 3 command guys will have been pushed to the back row, while all the new painted stuff will be showing on the 1st one.

Until the next update!

Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's HE Log (New SH horses done! 27/2/11)

#265 Post by Prince of Spires »

They look amazing, as usual.

I've just started wondering about 1 thing while reading your blog: Don't you ever get tired of painting the same color scheme?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elspedo

#266 Post by elspedo »

That PG champion looks ace! I have been working on one myself but not to that standard, back to the drawing board now!
[url=hhttp://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34584]The Faeven Warders[/url]
Mireadur

#267 Post by Mireadur »

rdghuizing wrote:I've just started wondering about 1 thing while reading your blog: Don't you ever get tired of painting the same color scheme?
:lol: im an incredibly persistant person. In all truth i have only 3 units remaining to finish (once im done with these SHs that is): seaguard, which are 25% done, the PG which with their white flaming cloaks are slightly different and finally the dragon princes which im going to paint scaly green+red :mrgreen: . Also have like 6 or 7 characters to paint which wont be in those colours..

In all truth the army i have envisioned in my mind beats any feeling of overwhelming or boredom. Im so determined to finish them that i dont even want to paint other stuff at all! (and i have 8 armies total i believe, 1 of them being space marines).
elspedo wrote:That PG champion looks ace! I have been working on one myself but not to that standard, back to the drawing board now!
Im still thinking in modifying it further by swapping the chest and cloak for one of the new plastic PG chests (i dont plan on using the new PG plastics since i like the metals better).. And also the helm.. Opinions about this would be very appreciated as doing this is an expensive move in bits!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#268 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote::lol: im an incredibly persistant person. In all truth i have only 3 units remaining to finish (once im done with these SHs that is): seaguard, which are 25% done, the PG which with their white flaming cloaks are slightly different and finally the dragon princes which im going to paint scaly green+red :mrgreen: . Also have like 6 or 7 characters to paint which wont be in those colours..

In all truth the army i have envisioned in my mind beats any feeling of overwhelming or boredom. Im so determined to finish them that i dont even want to paint other stuff at all! (and i have 8 armies total i believe, 1 of them being space marines).
I'm impressed... No matter how much i like my own paint scheme, I also like a bit of variety in my painting. Of course, looking at the pictures, I must say that the end result is stunning. Can we at some point get a group shot again? [-o< I'm curious to see what you are going to do with the DPs and characters. Is the DP scheme going to be similar to the old scheme for the DP from earlier army books?

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#269 Post by Mireadur »

I want to paint the DPs similar to my dragon rider which is in the page 6 or 7th of the log. Except that i will change the dark angels green for Scaly green. The BSB on foot i have on page 1 is the armour colour i want to obtain for the DPs.

The characters i mentioned are mainly all the Caledor characters, including a magician and a BSB. I want to paint them in different colours such as blue, red, etc. resembling the different dragon colours.

About an army pic, i will try to remember taking the camera with me for this weekend that we will be playing hte campaign again. There will be the four armies present (dwarves, empire, orcs and HE).
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#270 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'll keep following your log with great interest then, cause those characters and DP's should look great. I found it interesting to look back in your log and see how much you've improved since you started it. Something I recognise in my own painting (altough that is not nearly as good...) when I look at my early figures.

Here is to hoping you bring your camera this weekend.

Rod

Check out my plog