Alith Anar & the Warriors of Nagarythe

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Syph

Alith Anar & the Warriors of Nagarythe

#1 Post by Syph »

I'm a Dark Elf fan ordinarily, but I couldn't shift some High Elves I've had knocking around for a long while, but couldn't see them lay unloved either. In fact, I've had them longer than my Dark Elves!

Not being able to bring myself to paint 'proper' High Elves, I've gone for a dark and broody Nagarythe-based forced, 2000pts, lead by the Shadow King Alith Anar.

Lots of archers, Shadow Warriors and Swordmasters or White Lions at it's heart, supplemented by some spears, 2 mages, a noble and a couple of Bolt Throwers.

The Theme:

Reading Malekith and 2 older High Elf army books has revealed a bit more about the theme of Nagarythe as I envisage it - dark tinted armour, black, silver, grey, dark haired folks. They paint their shields black, black banners, expect to see images of moons and stars and several runes:

Arhain: shadows, night
Quyl Isha: mourning for lost children, endurance, sorrow
Cynath: chill, death, silence, lonliness
Senlui: swiftness, accuracy
Thalui: hatred or vengeance

Colour Scheme:

Using boltgun metal and mithril silver as a base for the armour, highlighted by mithril. Black and grey robes, white trim. Pale flesh, dark eyes (if I can do it), grey, silver/blond, black hair, purple gems. Some dark blues. Bases will be temple ruins, Tor Anlec ruins. Hoping to pick up some resin bases either slate or temple ruins: https://sslrelay.com/www.foundationsofw ... emple%3D29
Test Model:

I stripped this Elf Ranger model from around 1995. He's still a WIP, with work to be done on the metallics, the gems, white trim and the face (especially the eyes and hair).

Progress:
Complete
Primed/started
Assembled
Boxed
Shopping List

Lords:
Alith Anar

Heroes:
Mage
Mage
Noble

Core:
15x Spearmen, FC
10x Archers
10x Archers

Special:
10x Shadow Warriors
10x Shadow Warriors, Shadow Walker
12x Swordmasters, FC / White Lions, FC
12x Swordmasters, FC / White Lions, FC

Rare:
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

The army, as it stands, should be fairly cheap to purchase considering it's basis is plastic. The list is here: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29812 should anyone wish to make comments on it before I purchase the majority of it. My Dark Elves can be found here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/sho ... dark+elves for those interested.

Syph.
Silver
Shiny and Polished

Re: Alith Anar & the Warriors of Nagarythe

#2 Post by Silver »

fixed some color and bold codes that werent working in your post - also I don't know which forum theme you're using but the yellow is incredibly hard to read on the default white & light blue theme (:

Also very nice old model, its still quite a nice model for today's range.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Rumor

#3 Post by Rumor »

Looking forward to seeing your interpritation on a Shadowlands army, I am working on one myself, in fact I have that same Elf Ranger mini from when I first started back in 3rd edition and he was my Alith Anar for years with a hand swapped bow.
Syph

#4 Post by Syph »

Thanks Silver - I'll change the post when I get a chance. I'm used to VBB hence the code trouble, my apologies.

Rumor - cheers. I'm hoping to finish him sometime soon and once I've finalised my list I'll start to buy the remainder of the army. I'll keep tabs on your thread too!
Rumor

#5 Post by Rumor »

I dont actually have an army blog thread yet, should get around to starting one but Ogres are next on the agenda to finish due to an upcoming tourney in Sept (and I plaint sloooow) so there may be some fatties before the pointy ears make an appearance.
Hawkoon

#6 Post by Hawkoon »

I switched the small blade for a bow, and use him as a prince/noble on foot with the reaverbow/bow of the seafarer. Won me a local painting competition back in 2002 :mrgreen: