Galharen's works - 23.08.2022 new models and PATREON start

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Galharen's works - 19.12.2015 Dragon Guard banner

#661 Post by Prince of Spires »

Galharen wrote:
Domine Nox wrote:What is the flag made out of?
It's a thermo treated platicard :) (well, actually part of some plastic box)
Prince of Spires wrote:great looking conversion. I'll go with Malossar here: if you decide to mass produce them I want one ;)

Rod
Well, I'm not gonna cast it as I don't have skills and tools in that matter, however it's pretty simple to do this by yourself :)
I was already afraid you would say that ;) I'll add it to my conversion todo wish-list... Thermo treated plasticard is a great idea. I'll keep it in mind if I ever need something similar. Though I would probably first have to promise to my wife no to burn down the house when I do so...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#662 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Though I would probably first have to promise to my wife no to burn down the house when I do so...
Like barbequeing too close to your shed...
Gandalf_82

#663 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Some lovely work since I last caught up on this thread Galharen, as ever in awe of your work!

Can't wait to see that Mounted BSB painted up, especially looking forward to seeing what you do with such a huge banner. Given the standards you've set in the past i'm expecting jaw dropping work ;-)
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#665 Post by Galharen »

whop whop, tomorrow hopefully comes some update, I have almost painted the horse of the bsb, some freehands are missing only :)
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#666 Post by Galharen »

Here is the WIP #1 photo of my new mounted BSB, well, his steed at first to be honest;)
Please share with me what do you think about it.

Doctor

#667 Post by Doctor »

It looks great, though a bit strange without the rider :)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#668 Post by SpellArcher »

He's so badass, he looks like he ate the rider!

:)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#669 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

The painting is great as always and I expect the standard bearer to be even nicer. Well done!

Two questions to the steed from the modelling point of view:

1. Are you not afraid the horse is going to break his legs on such uneven and wet ground? :-P

2. The connection between the head and golden rim. Was it as wide as the head or did you add that golden rim somehow? I don't have that model for comparison.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#670 Post by Galharen »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:The painting is great as always and I expect the standard bearer to be even nicer. Well done!

Two questions to the steed from the modelling point of view:

1. Are you not afraid the horse is going to break his legs on such uneven and wet ground? :-P

2. The connection between the head and golden rim. Was it as wide as the head or did you add that golden rim somehow? I don't have that model for comparison.
Ad.1 I don't care about the ''normal life issues'', it's a fantasy world and I build my miniatures to look epic. When you are facing undeads and deamons, slipping is not your biggest problem :)

Ad. 2 Tyrion's horse has this golden rim as a default. I needed to cut a little bit the DP's head to be able to twist it a little bit, but it was rather pretty easy.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Galharen's works - 19.02.2016 mounted BSB WIP#1

#671 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Urian Poisonblade didn't care about that either and yet Tyrion defeated him with that simplest trick! Seems like fantasy world still have "normal life" issues present. :) It is of course your choice but at the same time miniatures can be on elevated and epic terrain that does not look too dangerous for your faithful mount.

The thing with the golden rim and armored horse head is that it looks like its not quite proportional. What I mean is that if you take normal Malhandir's head it looks a bit smaller and does not have the same "diameter" as the rim. When you added armored horse head it is the same size on the joint. In the end it kind of looks as if the steed did some serious workout on the shoulders but skipped not only the legs day but other workouts too!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#672 Post by Galharen »

As a short break from my mounted BSB project, I airbrushed yesterday evening the squad of 10 swordmasters and today I painted the 1st model, keeping my overall army color scheme, but with some different tones.

Please have a look;)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#673 Post by SpellArcher »

Loving that blue!

:)
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#674 Post by Ferny »

The quality of the painting is as ever more than excellent, so please take the comments below as constructive rather than critical, especially as my painting skills are sub-average!

I think the blue works really well on the scales, but I'm not convinced by it on the gloves, shoulder pad, helmet and whatever the things are which hang off the model's belt (I've never worked out if they're armour, adornment, scabbards, or something else entirely!).

I think I like it on the scales because it is an effective NMM, but on the bigger surfaces it loses that optical illusion a little bit and looks more 'just blue'. I'm not sure if it's the lighting/position, but there looks to be relatively little colour transition on the (above the eyes) bit of the helmet, and while there's a clear progression from dark (right) to light (left) on the shoulder pad, the area it has to cover makes the contrast less sharp than on the scales. IMO It stands out most on the gloves though - you've done a great job highlighting up what edges there are (or forcing them with paint where there aren't), but they're perhaps too light overall without enough areas for a dark recess (contrast the flat armguard with the depth in the fingers).

I'd also like to say that the eyes are killer. The red, the gems, the scales, the base, everything about it is expertly crafted, but for me eyes like that are the holy grail of painting.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#675 Post by Galharen »

Thank you Ferny for your constructive comment, I completely agree with you in that matter :)
I airbrushed 10 SM models with blue and then I put a second layer of lighter blue from above only. That was my initial plan to leave it as it is and work only with some small egde highlights to save some time. Now I know that I could spent that extra few minutes to make the shadows deeper and maybe finish edge lining with pure white.

However, my second plan was to make it look cool without time efford, as I have lots of projects running and I'm constantly running out of time :mrgreen:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#676 Post by Prince of Spires »

Great looking models, both the swordmaster and the BSB.

One thing that could be improved is that the tops of the waves could use some more white. It looks like fairly wild waves, and I would expect some more white froth at the tips of them.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#677 Post by Galharen »

Prince of Spires wrote:Great looking models, both the swordmaster and the BSB.

One thing that could be improved is that the tops of the waves could use some more white. It looks like fairly wild waves, and I would expect some more white froth at the tips of them.

Rod
Added to "To do list" 8)
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#678 Post by Galharen »

The second swordmaster is almost ready :)
However, I lost a little bit motivation when I saw these all nerfs :(
I think I need to hire another painter to paint my own army :lol: :lol:
Jimmy
Centurion

#679 Post by Jimmy »

Amazing stuff.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#680 Post by Prince of Spires »

Don't worry. The next 9th ed. release will be in something like 2 or 3 months or so. They'll be boosted again since no one takes them.... :D

Rod

Check out my plog

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#681 Post by Galharen »

yeah, 2nd swordmaster ready hehe :)
I built also a white lion chariot from all my bits, unfortunately I had only 1 white lion spare so my chariot will be a lil bit slower while pulled only by one white kitty :lol:

Also, I have a question to you, has anyone seen any good conversion of fire phoenix? I eventually got all the bits needed to scratch build another phoenix but maybe some of you have some motivation :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#682 Post by Prince of Spires »

There is the one I did from bits. Starting from this post http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 21#p875421 down. End result is here: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 99#p886199

What I would do for a next conversion, is have one rise from the ground, phoenix reborn style, with some room on the base to have an Annointed placed for the mounted option.

Rod

Check out my plog

Doctor

#683 Post by Doctor »

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#684 Post by Galharen »

How to build a phoenix from the IoB griffon I already know, some pages ago I showed my own conversion of that type 8) 8)
Doctor

#685 Post by Doctor »

You did, but sadly the pictures aren't available anymore. (I've read the topic, I like your painting and conversions).

Google has it cached.

Two more IoB phoenixes:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 33#p817225
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 60#p824145

I haven't seen any other conversions apart from different wing positioning etc.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#686 Post by Prince of Spires »

What kind of conversion do you have in mind / are you looking for? And how much work do you want to put in? Do you mainly want to kit-bash with various parts available, or do you want to build large parts yourself?

Rod

Check out my plog

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#687 Post by Galharen »

So, simply saying, I have one or two grffons from IoB lying around somewhere and I eventually got the fire bits this weekend. I want to do again this conversion as previously with my Frosty, however I want to do it better. More dynamic pose, maybe some other extra parts, I don't know yet, that's why I asked you about some idea. Raising from the flames, ridden by the phoenix guard/archmage, this is what I want to achieve.
Doctor

#688 Post by Doctor »

If you want dynamic, than maybe phoenix fighting with some other monster? :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#689 Post by Prince of Spires »

Well, like I said, if I would do another flamespire conversion I would go for a phoenix rising from the ashes kind of thing. I haven't seen any pictures of one, so I can't help you there.

But what I would do is (roughly)
- start with the IOB griffon, cut of the bottom part
- I would place that on a base, pointing roughly upward
- surround it by flames
- glue / greenstuff the flaming phoenix wings to the wings of the griffon, change the head etc.
- place an anointed on the base, facing the rising phoenix, as if he is helping the phoenix rise

At least, that's the idea in my head. It would probably involve repositioning the wings a bit so they look good. And a bit of tweaking. But that usually becomes clear once I'm working on it.

Rod

Check out my plog

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#690 Post by Ferny »

Prince of Spires wrote:Well, like I said, if I would do another flamespire conversion I would go for a phoenix rising from the ashes kind of thing. I haven't seen any pictures of one, so I can't help you there.

But what I would do is (roughly)
- start with the IOB griffon, cut of the bottom part
- I would place that on a base, pointing roughly upward
- surround it by flames
- glue / greenstuff the flaming phoenix wings to the wings of the griffon, change the head etc.
- place an anointed on the base, facing the rising phoenix, as if he is helping the phoenix rise

At least, that's the idea in my head. It would probably involve repositioning the wings a bit so they look good. And a bit of tweaking. But that usually becomes clear once I'm working on it.

Rod
I started work on a pheonix rising model ages ago following exactly the process you describe here, although in part I admit because I felt I lacked the skill to do all the greenstuffing necessary for the alternative...namely cutting off the forward facing griffon legs and putting them further back to balance the pheonix in flight better (and making the cut and the join seemless). But I was inspired by your conversion Rod to greenstuff flames - they looked relatively forgiving (and I'd be very much a beginner - I've only used GS to fill in cracks, add flames to bows for cheap sisters, and...I think that might be it...oh no, some fur filler too).

Sadly I haven't really got photos I can post as I moved house and job etc not long after starting and haven't got space for modelling now, and haven't really had the time to unpack projects (just playing models).

But I think it should work well enough - the dynamism of the griffon pose works well breaking from the ground (but is more awkward for an inflight pheonix conversion). I'm excited to get back on it now!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support