Help painting white

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Medic

Help painting white

#1 Post by Medic »

Any ideas on the white robes from a black undercoat? :? :(
Moofles

Re: Help painting white

#2 Post by Moofles »

i normally just do codex grey, fortress grey, then i have a bottle of primer white from vallejo paint line.
there is also some method using blues or creme colors to build up to a white
Medic

#3 Post by Medic »

cheers, my main problem is doing the archers? when it comes to the mainly flat areas, do i just paint the white straight on to the basecoats and just leave the gray in the recesses? sorry if that doesn't make sense :roll:
Moofles

#4 Post by Moofles »

oh no, paint the entire robe codex grey over the basecoat. then paint the fortress grey over the codex grey leaving some codex gry in the deep recesses. now do the same with the white leaving some of the fortress grey showing so that it looks blended from a dark grey to a bright white. the reason i use the white primer for my whites is that i just hate doing 16 coats of white to make it get enough coverage over the greys.
Medic

#5 Post by Medic »

so only leave recesses grey? i hate archers as the've not got many recesses :oops:
Moofles

#6 Post by Moofles »

yea the archer robes are pretty flat and smooth. just get creative with the recess depth. try out a few models and play around with how much grey to leave untill you are happy with the way they look.
Medic

#7 Post by Medic »

cheers, much appreciated =D>
Trag Sifarin

#8 Post by Trag Sifarin »

I do similar but start with space wolf gray.
Check out my painting blog [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29042[/url]
wynforth

#9 Post by wynforth »

ive done similar but using some blue mixed in just to give it some color. darker coats ending with a white coat.
Adhemar

#10 Post by Adhemar »

If you can still see the black underneath, Id suggest starting with a coat of the foundation paint line. I forget what they call it but one good coat completely covers over the black. then codex gray over the entire thing and then a majority skull white with some codex gray. high light with pure skull white.
[b][i]"My brothers! My sisters! Do not fear death. For with faith in Asuryan, the only death will be that of our enemies'! Forward!"[/i][/b]

[b][i]Lord Adhemar The Wayfarer[/i][/b]

[b][i]Visit my Blog![/i][/b] [i]http://ulthuan.net/blogs/adhemar/guest-book/[/i]

WANTED: Karl Franz on Deathclaw or just Deathclaw (will either buy or trade for it)
Synnin niitt?j

#11 Post by Synnin niitt?j »

Have to admit white is pain to paint. And I as well have been stubbornly painting with black undercoat (as I use white only for those independent models I try to paint as well as I can, so called showcase :wink: ).

I used to paint from codex grey to white, but later lost my patient and moved straight to use fortress grey as I still had to use so large number of layers anyway. So I'd suggest you to try to first get good, flat cover of fortress grey and then slowly start mixing it up with white.

The other method I use goes from Vallejo wolf grey to white. A lot faster method and I do mix it up with the method I described above.

They both are used in my Dragon Princes, but have pics taken only from my Standard bearer, which I posted here before this latest(?) change of these pages.
First method being mostly used, except for the riders cape. Both do look fine, but working with those mounts got me headaces and even swearing, even thought I think I'm overall patient person :oops:

The third that comes in mind is what I've used with my Eldar. Used Browns-bronzed flesh-white palette. You can see the final result from this Farseer.

Hope this gave you some ideas. Curse that white, it makes us proud, stand out of the lesser races and cathes the eyes but it surely has its cost :wink:
"Evolve Today"
Medic

#12 Post by Medic »

Cheers for the help, some nice models there =D> Iam slowing getting the idea of painting the white now. I started with codex grey then fortress, now iam having trouble with the white :oops: . Will it always be so streaky? or will this improve after a few coats?
Toran

#13 Post by Toran »

hmm, I started out undercoating black, then decided it would be too much effort to cover with white and changed to a white undercoat...
I'm not proud, but to be frank, my models won't look that great anyway
No plan survives contact with the enemy
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

#14 Post by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup »

First off, basecoating in black is not the way to go :) Not for HEs, at least.

But since at this point that's probably like telling a pregnant girl she should've used birth control. . .

Paint the robes Fortress Grey, then wash with Badab Black. Highlight w/Fortress, then highlight w/mix 50/50 with white. Final highlight is pure white.

That's a real simple and quick white and will give you a much smoother transition than using codex/fortress/white. BTW, you can do several transitions between Fortress and pure White if you like. I'm just trying to keep it simple :wink:

Washes are everyone's friend. Use them in good health! :D