Mage: A Blog

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Mage: A Blog

#1 Post by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup »

I decided to do a blog on my entry for this painting comp as well. The goal is to put up a pic everytime I pass a stage.

So without further ado, here she is: Miss America

Naked and slightly blurry. . .

I absolutely love this model, but she's so beautiful (IMO) that I'm actually intimidated by her. I get nervous touching her - like I'll never live up to her expectations. In short, she's much too hot to be with the likes of me, and I know it :)
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

#2 Post by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup »

First update:

I've base coated my little lovely. . .

I played with the paint scheme a little first - should I paint her with white robes and a red cape? Or red robes with a white cape? Blond or raven-tressed?

In the end, I went for red everywhere - something you don't often see in High Elves, but it fits my army's color scheme and there's something naughty about it that every floating chick needs.

As the model progresses, I intend to introduce flame touches building from her toes and up the dress - like she's powering up a Fiery Blast or somesuch. :)

Allerion
Librarian

#3 Post by Allerion »

:shock:

whats her number? :P

anyway;

i really like the hair. it seems to have more depth than most. back seems to be shaded slightly darker than front. (imo) but im just noticing the two reds...
Excited for TOW
Garen2

#4 Post by Garen2 »

Where is this model from, she is wonderful, specially the hair
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

#5 Post by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup »

She is a Helldorado mini from the Demons boxed set. The model was never available individually, and Helldorado is sadly no longer in business :cry:

A buddy of mine managed to get this for me by going through a Quebec game store. It was quite a challenge to track down! :D
Eärendil

#6 Post by Eärendil »

What a great model. You are lucky to have her :wink:
army blog: http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25300
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

#7 Post by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup »

Update 2: Wash that dirty girl!

Applied one coat of watered down Vallejo Black Glaze to the red. This has become a standard move for me for just about any color. I start bright, then tone it down with some good ol' Black Glaze. Next coat will be a red wash to bring some of the warmth back. If I'm doing a regiment, I'd also do the skin and hair at this point, but my little lovely deserves a little extra time and attention. :)

redarmy27

#8 Post by redarmy27 »

*Whistles* Beautiful! I can't wait to see some more work on the robes. It's looking good so far!

Jake
My blog: http://redarmystudios.blogspot.com/
If you're interested, feel free to contact me about commission work!

The Host is growing! *cackle*: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=627074#627074
Leoniidi

#9 Post by Leoniidi »

Gah I might as well give up on the contest, this model is too beautiful. :D I wanna paint this instead of the helf mage. :P

Looking good mate, this is gonna be one hell of a mage. :)
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

#10 Post by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup »

Leoniidi wrote:Gah I might as well give up on the contest, this model is too beautiful. :D
Nah, I'm still the one painting it. That means the door is wide open :lol:

Update 3: More Washes

This step I washed the dress with GW red, the flesh with GW Sepia, and the hair with GW Ogryn Flesh.

The wash of red - though it may or may not really show in the pictures - brings warmth back to the red and deepens the recesses further. I find that black glazes make most colors cooler - more toward the blue end of the spectrum - so warming them up is essential. Especially with this girl, who will be blazing at the end.

This if my first time using Gryphon Sepia on the skin - I usually use Ogryn Flesh - but I wanted to keep her fairly pale. That's Sepia over Elf Flesh/Skull White for those of you keeping score at home. :)

Lastly, Ogryn Flesh over Sunburst Yellow is a great base for blondes IMO. I LOVE the detail on this girl's hair. I hope I can do it justice :?

She looks rather unhappy today, doesn't she? :)

Telephalsion

#11 Post by Telephalsion »

"Lady in red, is dancing with me..."

Nice model, I'm sure you'll do it justice.
~ [i]Lady Neruneya the Radiant [/i] ~
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Milliardo/Avatars%20and%20Sigs/MageKnightGuildLogoColouredh.jpg[/img]
Leoniidi

#12 Post by Leoniidi »

Good song, good model. :p

I'm sure you'll make it justice Happy. I remember your white lion and spearman command groups back then, they were awesome! :D

I should paint some more of my mage as well I guess, kinda tired of painting 20 temple guards...

Good luck with the competition, it's gonna be a great one with so many contestants. :)
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

#13 Post by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup »

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys :D

Update 4: A dash of red

I reapplied watered down Blood Red to begin smoothing out the dress. Hopefully you can see the difference - I know pics don't always show the details.

BTW, my apolologies if these pics don't show huge progress each time. I'm not trying to be tedious, just meticulous :)