Lord Stark High Elf Army Blog

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Lord_Stark

Lord Stark High Elf Army Blog

#1 Post by Lord_Stark »

Well, just to motivate myself i have decided to start a blog to show you my work. I'm not a genius (in fact, i am so far) but it is always an ilusion sharing ones work with other people.

Back on topic, this is how my entry for the competition is going. Colors are not very real in the photo (i hate my camera), for instance, the robe is in fact turquoise, not that blue but you can see quite well how my work is going, if i have time i will post tomorrow the photographs of my lions chariot. C&C are always wellcome. Hope you like it.

ZehKaiser

#2 Post by ZehKaiser »

That looks outstanding! I need to know 3 things.

1: How did you do that yellow? It looks really really good and yellow is a really hard color to work with.

2: Can you tell me the steps you used to do the trim-work on the turquoise? I'm curious which colors you used in which order. It looks really neat and crisp and adds immeasurably to the overall detail of the figure.

3: What do you plan to do for the magical swirls he's floating on? I didn't use that bit yet as I'm saving it for a mage dedicated to a more specific lore like death or shadow... Any ideas yet?

Great work so far, you will be in the top 3 in the contest easy if you keep up at this rate!
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
Lord_Stark

#3 Post by Lord_Stark »

ZehKaiser wrote:1: How did you do that yellow? It looks really really good and yellow is a really hard color to work with.
I use Vallejo Colors (both Model Color and Game Color) in this moment, so the colors in Citadel are not exactly the same, but they are quite similar. Anyway, the base color is "bone", three diluted layers. Then i continue with the shadows starting with "dark flesh". For the shadows i dilute the colors more. Second layer of shadows is "bronze flesh" and the last one scrofulous brown. I also made a mix 50% bone and white for the lights. So it is not really yellow (as i told you, my camera is very bad), it is in fact "cream". I wanted something very bright and light, but didn't want white.
ZehKaiser wrote:2: Can you tell me the steps you used to do the trim-work on the turquoise? I'm curious which colors you used in which order. It looks really neat and crisp and adds immeasurably to the overall detail of the figure.
The steps are exactly the same as for the "bone-cream" color, but of course the colors are different. The base color is 66% "falcon turquoise" + 33% "black". To make the layers for the shadows i just was adding more black to the mixtures + water. For the shadows i did the same, but adding more "falcon turquoise" until using it pure (always with water). To smooth a bit the surface i did use the blending techinque. It was the first time i did use this tecnique, so it was a bit painfull 'cause i didn't have a hairdrier, so i only applied three or four layers, but it was was worth it (although i will use it only very few times, i want to finsh an army some year).
ZehKaiser wrote:3: What do you plan to do for the magical swirls he's floating on? I didn't use that bit yet as I'm saving it for a mage dedicated to a more specific lore like death or shadow... Any ideas yet?
Well, i do not have yet at all. I was thinking in some kind of transition from dark turquoise to golden (like i will do the belt an a lot of stuff else this weekend, hopefully), but i'm not sure at all. Also was thinking in a very bright turquoise, just inking from a white base with a mixture of green and blue new inks. Maybe this las one could work, also. Well, as you can see, i'm still a bit confused. Maybe i will finish the whole model without tat swirls, make a photograph and play during a while in photoshop to see what could fit better.
ZehKaiser wrote:Great work so far, you will be in the top 3 in the contest easy if you keep up at this rate!
Well thank you for those words, but i still have to finish it and i normally i tend to stard very well, but never finish the same level :(

I also have a lot of problems when painting faces, that is why i started on the clothes this time and made the freehand on the robe, i needed something inspiring, and it is working by now =D

What i am really making with this model is trying new techniques i have been reading about them and a friend tough me, but never had the time to start with them. Hope it works fine.
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

#4 Post by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup »

Great work on the embroidery! I look forward to watching your progress.