My High Elves

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

EzekielBrodie

My High Elves

#1 Post by EzekielBrodie »

I recently have become determined to get back into WFB after a 3-year sebatical in which I have been playing purely 40k. Before a tournament recently I hadn't played since a previous tournament at easter in 2006 where I played with a friends Bretonnian army, and before that at the same tournament the year before where I used another friend's Goblin army. While I had some pretty good success on both occasions (1st and 3rd respectively) I havn't actually played a game of WFB with my own army in quite some time. It was the game that I fell in love with originally, but over time I moved into 40k more so because of the friends I had made gaming at tournaments in Melbourne.

Anyway enough of my life story and more on my plan. I intend to play Fantasy at an ETC tournament next month, which puts me about 4 weeks away from needing a fully painted army. At this stage, I'll be taking something like this:

2xmages
noble on foot (probably BSB)
2x20 spears
unit of White Lions
2-3 Chariots (1 Lion Chariot)
1-2 eagles
2 RBTs
2x5 dragon princes.

Total model count is about 70 or so, which isn't as bad as it could be.

I own a lot of the models already, using the spearmen that I built ages ago, and a unit of Maidenguard that I have lying around to go with the Everqueen model I will use as my Archmage.

Anyway, I'll show you some pics of the WIP (test) models that I have done. I will be using a similar colour scheme to the Eldar I painted to use at a 40k tournament last year; Deep Purple with white accent and a bone colour for the wood.

Chariot:

Mages:

Not that happy with how the Everqueen came out, but I'll see how I go with other models before going back to her.

The chariot still needs some cleaning up in places and the gems done.

At this stage I can't decide whether blue, green or red gems would be the best way to go. Any ideas?

Freehand needs to be finished as well...

So there, 3 models (almost) down, ~67 to go.

Brodie
Elanil

#2 Post by Elanil »

Beautiful work. I think either green or red is the way to go, but it'd be nice to have images of each to get a better feel for which gem shade to go with.

The models that have gems painted red already look great, though...
Eärendil

#3 Post by Eärendil »

I love the purple cloth, it looks awesome. Great highlighting. The freehand runes are a nice touch and well placed. I also think green or red gems would look best, but its hard to say which without seeing test models. Keep up the good work.
army blog: http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25300
Doombreeze

#4 Post by Doombreeze »

what are you saying?? the everqueen is amazing! and i LOVE purple elves!!
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Doombreeze.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30971]My so-called army blog[/url]
EzekielBrodie

#5 Post by EzekielBrodie »

Well contrary to how it may appear, I have been painting in the last few weeks.

Managed to get phoenix guard, archers, some spearmen, 2xbolt throwers and a unit of dragon princes done to a decent standard. Still a lot of work to do finishing banners, gems and general tidying up but I'm happy to put them on a table at least.

So, that leaves me with 7 days to do:

15 more spearmen
White Lions
more Dragon Princes
another chariot
Great Eagles
BSB
Jimmy
Centurion

#6 Post by Jimmy »

Looking good so far mate, good luck with the rest of your painting. How are you tackling it? Just sitting down for hours at a time and painting?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

I love the archer conversions! They remind my of the old plastic ones, but without the clone attack impression. Great job here. The Dragon Princes and Phoenix Guard, though, look ... kind of gay :wink:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Eärendil

#8 Post by Eärendil »

yeah those are the best plastic archers I have ever seen, hands down. Very nice work. Looks like a promising start on the spears as well.

Something doesn't seem quite right about the DPs and PG though. The purple on the DPs seems a little gaudy instead of being deep and rich like it is on some of the other models. On the PG, I think the purple suffers from not having a light color to set it off. Still, well painted and they look better than most.
army blog: http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25300
Jhaantikaal

#9 Post by Jhaantikaal »

I agree that the archers and spearmen look fantastic. Liking this army a lot.
Si'anelle of Avelorn
Dreamer of Worlds

#10 Post by Si'anelle of Avelorn »

Your chariot is stunning. I love the posing of the crew and the colours you've used really rock.
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Warhammer/webbanner.jpg[/img]
Allerion
Librarian

#11 Post by Allerion »

few weeks? at that quality? do you know how long it would take me to do that? its probably going to take me half the summer to paint one measily unit of 10 DPs...

very impressed.

the blue on the DPs looks slightly out of place, and the gold on the PG looks kinda odd, but im sure itll look fine compared to the rest of the army
Excited for TOW
Calriel

#12 Post by Calriel »

Heya Ezekiel,

Good work on the elves... I really think the colors work nice together and it makes for a real high-elven army!

From what I can see, you really put one layer on the next, and the color change between the two layers is really apparent. Sometimes this can be a good thing, but if it is all over all the models, it doesn't do the time you spent on it justice, imo.

I usually add a bit of water to the paint to make it already a bit more fluid, paint part of the next layer and then use a big of good ol' spit to draw out the color to a lower part. This creates a more fluent layer that connects better with the previous one.

This way, you don't have to use more layers to achieve a better effect, you just use your new layers more effectively. Good luck!

Cal
<font color="0099ff" type="verdana"><i>A sister they had, Galadriel, most beautiful of all the house of Finwë; her hair was lit with gold as though it had caught in a mesh the radiance of Laurelin.</i><p>
-"Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië"</font>