My army (caledor) Elven mansion update

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

archvile

Re: My army (caledor) update 21/10

#61 Post by archvile »

Thanks for all the kind comments. And I have to admit, some of my elves do look a little bit like christmas trees :)

Just a small update. I've finished 10 lothern seaguard.
I've used a few of the techniques some of you mentioned. I high lighted the leather parts, and I've painted the faces using bestial bwown, bronzed flesh and elf flesh. It's just so hard to get all those colors on such a small area. But I'm really glad with the result. I think I keep getting better and better. I'm especially happy with how the shields turned out. Tell me what you think.

Alathenar

Re: My army (caledor) update 21/10

#62 Post by Alathenar »

That's really good freehand! The gems look great aswell! I like how they are each doing something different, blocking, shooting their bow etc, really looks like they are in battle.
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Arellion Sapher

Re: My army (caledor) update 29/11

#63 Post by Arellion Sapher »

Very nice looking Seaguard, and a damned unusual scheme which comes off very well.
Baerion

#64 Post by Baerion »

I love the uniqueness of the unit and all of the models. The unit together looks like it is in action and the color scheme is great as well as the freehand. Looking forward to more.
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
archvile

#65 Post by archvile »

Hi guys. I'm so glad you like my miniatures!
I have exams at the moment, which means I have a lot of time to paint :)
I've finished my chariot and thought you might want to see it..

comments?
Alathenar

#66 Post by Alathenar »

Hey thats really cool! Where did u get the carriage from? Unless my eyes are failing me atm thats not from the kit. The dragon between the 2 horses is really cool aswell!
archvile

Re: My army (caledor) update 1/12

#67 Post by archvile »

SwiftSwordmaster wrote:Hey thats really cool! Where did u get the carriage from? Unless my eyes are failing me atm thats not from the kit. The dragon between the 2 horses is really cool aswell!
Thanks! It's the old 6th edition chariot. I've only swapped the horses because I think the old ones are really ugly.
Alathenar

#68 Post by Alathenar »

archvile wrote:Thanks! It's the old 6th edition chariot. I've only swapped the horses because I think the old ones are really ugly.
Ok it really shows i only joined HE in 7th ED :lol: . But yea the new horses do look much better, look a lot more faster!
archvile

#69 Post by archvile »

Small update, I've finished 10 archers:

comments?
Alathenar

#70 Post by Alathenar »

thats cool that you have given them the spear heads. But how come only 2 got the scalemail? They're still well done!
archvile

#71 Post by archvile »

SwiftSwordmaster wrote:thats cool that you have given them the spear heads. But how come only 2 got the scalemail? They're still well done!
thanks, I wanted to make 20 archers/lothern seaguard, but I only had 16 archer bodies and robes. So I used 4 spearmen, but 2 of them are in my LSG. That's why there only are 2 archers with scalemail. All the heads were leftovers by the way, I think the helms look much better than the oversised archer heads.
archvile

#72 Post by archvile »

hi there guys, it's been a while. It's just so hard to stay concentrated on painting, my creativity comes in waves I guess :p finaly after a few months I restarted painting my elves.
a few things have changed since last time;
1) I'm painting my whole army orange and green, even my dragons. I'll post some pictures below.
2) I've changed all the red gems to blue ones.

here's what's new:

dragon, repainted in orange:
one new unit of spearmen, one old unit with repainted gems
here also only the banner and the gems are new
SH with blue gems
orange drake
now that my dragons are orange, I figured I also had to paint my dragon princes that way..
everything with blue gems as you can see

comments are welcome as allways ;)
Angel

Re: My army (caledor) update 24/08

#73 Post by Angel »

Great, and different, looking army. I the darker colours that you use, they work very well.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
ajpieri

Re: My army (caledor) update 24/08

#74 Post by ajpieri »

archvile what is the dark color you use on the dragon prince in that last series of pictures? Is that just black, or some type of dark green?

As for the dragons and stuff. I like the dragon for the most part, but I really don't like the legs. Like someone else said, the legs are too small and I don't think they are defined enough. This is the same on all of them. They look very gumby like. You might want to look at some of the models that GW makes and see how they do muscle definition and stuff like that. Make the feet look more like cool claws also.

Also, for the drake you have standing up. The tail is just a little weird. I don't like it coming out the front like that and it is too think around the crotch region. I would make it thinner and longer maybe and maybe make it come out the back, but if you want it out the front I guess it looks good. Also, on this drake, under its left arm pit looks way to thick. If you could trim that down and make it look more like a joint than a big growth off its side, that would look cool. I know you already have it painted, but would be worth it imo.

But, good job. Must have taken a lot of work.
archvile

Re: My army (caledor)

#75 Post by archvile »

a small update.

I finished my dragonprinces and thought I should post them here. So here they are:

It's been a long while since my last update but that's because I was too busy with my studies, but I'll keep painting now and then :)
hope you like my DP and comments of course are welcome.
first picture is a bit foggy, sorry about that!

grtz
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#76 Post by SpellArcher »

Very effective!

The Red is quite striking.
A.Wagg

#77 Post by A.Wagg »

Wow, the red looks amazing! Your painting gets better and better!
Drachenprinzen

#78 Post by Drachenprinzen »

The dragon princes definitely stand out more repainted. I love your army color-scheme. Mine is similar to the GW blue scheme except instead of blue I use a custom red... mix of blood red, mechrite red, and Vallejo fire orange.
Keep up the good work! It is truly inspiring.
8th Edition Stats (Win/Draw/Loss)
High Elves - 7/4/3
archvile

#79 Post by archvile »

Hey guys, I 've made some things I would like to show you..

First of all I've converted and painted a D&D model for a friend:

I also converted a Dragon Mage to go with my converted dragon. I still have to glue him to the dragon, make his reins out of greenstuff (he's going to hold them in his left hand) and paint him..

And finally I made a terrain piece, an elven mansion. I still have to paint it and glue the big parts together but you get the idea I hope :p

That's it for now. So let's get painting :D I warn you guys though, that could take a year or so ..
If you have any comments, let me know!
~Milliardo~

#80 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Excellent building!

Your painting is good, and getting better, but you have a great talent for converting and building things! I like the dragon-headed paladin a lot. :3
Meraklis

#81 Post by Meraklis »

I have to agree with Milliardo your terrain skills are very very good! How did you make the tiles for the roof?
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
archvile

#82 Post by archvile »

thanks, I really appreciate it!
I'm studying for civil engineer/architect at the moment so I'm supposed to be good at this :p
But I'm really glad you like it. Still it was Gray and his avelorn army here on the forum that inspired me to make my own terrain piece.

@Meraklis:
the roof tiles are just strips of cardboard glued partially over the previous strip.
archvile

Re: My army (caledor) BSB done

#83 Post by archvile »

Hi guys, I've got a small update for those who are interested. I've painted my BSB. It's a model I've got yet a long time. I made it with leftovers from my first batalion box, though some things have changed.
I finally painted him in my green and orange painting scheme. Here are some pictures:

Enjoy!
tinman

#84 Post by tinman »

Your skill is getting better. Nice work, great freehand & fantastic buildings!!
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
archvile

#85 Post by archvile »

my Dragon mage is done, and I'm very glad with the final result, it makes the dragon look much better I think.
here are some pic's

Natwest

Re: My army (caledor) Dragonmage done

#86 Post by Natwest »

Awesome painting
[url=http://www.BannerFans.com][img]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7756/6151892660193b0m3.png[/img][/url]

Visit my painting Blog - Necrosphinx on the go! - http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42911

Natwest
Mireadur

#87 Post by Mireadur »

ubber improvements since i last saw your log!, nice work on the dragon mage GS'ed mate. BsB is very nice too, although i dont fully like the chest you put on him with the shield motiff.
Thrilmamir

#88 Post by Thrilmamir »

Any update on your building?
archvile

#89 Post by archvile »

Hi guys. I'm back with an update, I have finally found some time to paint some models and my terrain piece. Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

Repainted the BSB in green and orange:
Painted a commander on horse:
Converted a rider for my drake, the main body was originaly from a woodelf on a hawk..
And my elven building:
It still needs some more vegetation and it also needs to be glued together.. I know it's a bit grey, but I wanted it to match my army and that wasn't easy!
the army on my shelf:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: My army (caledor) Elven mansion update

#90 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A little square for my taste but you've still got the elven shape in it, so nice work.
That green is really dark, and the orange stands out a lot, well played.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]