The Official Basing Thread

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

pk-ng

Re: The Official Basing Thread

#61 Post by pk-ng »

Lagast wrote:These are bases for my Cursed army theme. I used a tutorial found on the net, I like the result.
Got a link for this?
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Lagast

#62 Post by Lagast »

pk-ng

#63 Post by pk-ng »

ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Elessedil of Etaine

#64 Post by Elessedil of Etaine »

Seeing as im new i thought i would share my usual basing method.
I find its simple but effective especially on massed ranks.

ingredients
Large sealable tub
Static grass
Green flock
cat litter
tea bags

Simply empty the contents of the green flock inot the tub, then add the static grass (i normally sieve mine in to help it seperate and not clump).
Seal the tub and agitate it. No i dont mean call it names and try to make it angry, i mean shake the like beejesus out of it.
Now open the tub up and add in a some cat litter. This is very much down to personal opinion..i would say taste but i dont want osmeone trying to eat it lol.
Personally i add 2-3 handfulls.
Finally add in the tea gabgs and brew...sorry i went off track for a cuppa there. But in all honesty, take between 5-10 tea bags and cut them open, then add the tea leaves to the mix and throw away the rest of the bag. Again this is to personal...opinion.
Seal the tub and shake like stubborn pot of paint.

From here i personally paint the base and rim brown and allow to dry. I then apply pva to the base, dip into the tub and lightly shake off any excess. Not too vigorously as you will shake the 'stones' loose. Varnish with the rest of the model and hey presto.

This generally provides a basing material with a random scatter of grass a few small rocks and some leaf scatter and the effect is much like this.

You can edge the base in whatever colour suits your needs.
Arch Mage

#65 Post by Arch Mage »

I have some acryllic paints living around, so I may try using that to make a sea type base (I have a white and blue theme) do you guys think it will work?
[color=#4000FF]The Arch Mage of light and true magic[/color]

600 trolls and climbing! :mrgreen:
[color=#FF0000]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40633&p=775432#p775432]if you are drowning out there as a beginner, I hope this helps.[/url][/color]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=40964&p=778044#p778044]my army lists[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#66 Post by Prince of Spires »

It could work. Just remember that a lot of water is not actually bright blue, but rather brown and murky. Even in places like the mediteranean, which have bright blue seas, the coastline will still be brownish with all the sand floating around in it. So if you go for a shallow area, make sure to have at least some transition from brown to blue.

If you can get some Water-effect to put on the watery bits, it would improve the thing drastically. You can get several types in different places online. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you could always use some PVA glue (if you have the kind that dries clear). Put it in one or 2 shallow layers on top of the paint and you should get a watery, glossy effect.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
ARBAL

#67 Post by ARBAL »

You can find many ideas about basing in my HOW To section on my blog: http://www.coloureddust.com.pl/p/how-to.html
[url=http://coloureddust.blogspot.com][img]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7632/coloureddustprzezroczys.gif[/img][/url]
Dorian

#68 Post by Dorian »

I've tried my hand at snow basing.

I'm using a mix of snow flock and PVA glue to apply it as a paste. While the paste is still wet sprinkle some more snow flock on top but then comes my SECRET TECHNIQUE!!! Take a tiny amount of water and coat this newly sprinkled layer of snow. It gives it a very wet, melted snow sort of look which is what I wanted. The dry snow method looks too fluffy and I was going for a sort of rocky/snow look and when an army is at war I imagine that snow is getting trudged up quite a bit.

On the bases that don't have large rocks or anything I just try to clump it together a bit and leave some bare patches. Up until the last moment I always feel it looks bad but it somehow comes together in the end. I think the tall grass sort of saves the day too.

Oh and a massive MASSIVE tip for basing using PVA glue......use a rubber brush. It makes applying the glue a billion (yes a billion!) times easier and the brush can just be wiped clean.