1500pt Tournament Army HE List, looking for suggestions pls

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ravenglass

1500pt Tournament Army HE List, looking for suggestions pls

#1 Post by Ravenglass »

Hi there everyone, I just signed up today and I am new to Warhammer Fantasy. I started a High Elf Army as I do like the specialization of it. I am going into my first Tournament on June 13th which is a 1500pt tourney. NO restrictions. So here is a break down of the Army that I have created thus far.

Mage L2 General. 185pts
Seerstaff and Dispel Scroll
Using Death Magic(taking drain life and walking death) He will be placed with Phoenix Guard unit.

Mage L2 135pts

Nobel BSB 126pts
Great Weapon, Dragon Armour,Shield

Core Units 220 pts
Archers x 2

Rare Units 200pts
Repeater Bolt Throwers x 2

Special Units
Phoenix Guard Full Command x17 and Banner of Sorcery 335pts

Swordmasters, Champion and Standard x11 and Warbanner 209pts

Shadow Warriors, Champion 92pts

Total Pts is 1502. <----- not sure what i can remove here thats 2pts lol.
So the Gen Mage goes with the Phoenix Guard and the Nobel goes with the Sword Masters and the other mage will go with unit of archers as he will only be casting Drain Magic. My main mage will try and cast Walking Death on his unit of PG giving them Terror instead and when I get close enough to enemy units I will Drain Life to try and do some predmg before we get into HtH and i remember correctly i can also cast it while we are in hand to hand...don't have rule book on me at the moment. So I will use archers and RBT's to whittle down large blocks on enemy units and have my sword masters flank any unit the the PG encounter.

Any and all advice is totally welcome. Lookikng forward to hearing your ideas and suggestions.
[color=#0000BF]I Love it when a plan comes together![/color]
grantmepower

Re: 1500pt Tournament Army HE List, looking for suggestions pls

#2 Post by grantmepower »

Ravenglass wrote:Mage L2 General. 185pts
Seerstaff and Dispel Scroll
Using Death Magic(taking drain life and walking death) He will be placed with Phoenix Guard unit.

Mage L2 135pts
I'd try to give this guy some magic items. I think the ring of fury is the way to go here. Drop the shadow walker on the shadow warriors and 2 phoenix guard and you have the points for this as well as solving your problem of being 2 points over.

Nobel BSB 126pts
Great Weapon, Dragon Armour,Shield
A bit light on protection. If you don't want the Ring of Fury on the mage maybe you could use some points here for the Armour of Caledor. He'll work, but be careful of using the great weapon, as then he'll only have a 5+ save.

Core Units 220 pts
Archers x 2

Rare Units 200pts

Special Units
Phoenix Guard Full Command x17 and Banner of Sorcery 335pts

Swordmasters, Champion and Standard x11 and Warbanner 209pts
Making these guys immune to fear would be helpful if you expect to face any fear-causing armies. Trouble is that the Lion Standard costs 5 points more than the warbanner. You could pull those points if you give the Armour of Caledor to the BSB, drop the SW champion, and drop 1 PG. That would leave you with 6 points to spend to upgrade the warbanner to Lion Standard. It would also fix your problem of being 2 points over.

Shadow Warriors, Champion 92pts
The champion in not needed. Spend the points elsewhere.

Total Pts is 1502. <----- not sure what i can remove here thats 2pts lol.
So the Gen Mage goes with the Phoenix Guard and the Nobel goes with the Sword Masters and the other mage will go with unit of archers as he will only be casting Drain Magic.
If you go with this make sure that drain magic happens last. Sorry for stating, the obvious, but just a reminder.
My main mage will try and cast Walking Death on his unit of PG giving them Terror instead and when I get close enough to enemy units I will Drain Life to try and do some predmg.
Is walking death a remains in play spell? If so, then you can't cast other spells with the mage once it is in play or the spell will end. I think that you could pick a better lore than death.
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
Bolt Thrower

#3 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Don't take 2 units of archers. We only require one core unit at 1500 points. Use the extra points to bolster your mages/noble or your phoenix guard unit. I'd give the sword master unit a different banner (standard of balance is a favorite as it makes them immune to panic). You also might want to consider putting your noble in the phoenix guard as well. The terror idea could work but they need a little extra punch to help make them a force to be reckoned with.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Ravenglass

#4 Post by Ravenglass »

Thank you for correcting my obvious mistakes with the 2 Core Units and the Spell Walking Death is in fact a remains in play spell. So here is a update of the earlier post

Mage L2 General. 185pts
Seerstaff and Dispel Scroll(Lore of Fire - Conflagration of Doom and either BUrning Head or Fiery Blast)
He will be placed with Phoenix Guard unit.

Mage L2 175pts
Ring of Fury (High Magic)
Either Archers or Phoenix Guard

Nobel BSB 145pts
Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor,Shield
placed with sword masters

Core Units 120 pts
Archers x 11

Rare Units 200pts

Special Units
Phoenix Guard Full Command x20 and Banner of Sorcery 380pts

Swordmasters, Champion and Standard x11 and Lion Standard 214pts

Shadow Warriors, 80pts
grantmepower

#5 Post by grantmepower »

Ravenglass wrote:Thank you for correcting my obvious mistakes with the 2 Core Units and the Spell Walking Death is in fact a remains in play spell. So here is a update of the earlier post

Mage L2 General. 185pts
Seerstaff and Dispel Scroll(Lore of Fire - Conflagration of Doom and either BUrning Head or Fiery Blast)
He will be placed with Phoenix Guard unit.

Mage L2 175pts
Ring of Fury (High Magic)
Either Archers or Phoenix Guard

Nobel BSB 145pts
Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor,Shield
placed with sword masters
He doesn't need a shield, as the AoC save can't be improved past 2+

Core Units 120 pts
Archers x 11
You have the point cost here wrong. They should cost 122, but if you drop the shield on the BSB then you don't even have to change the list.

Rare Units 200pts

Special Units
Phoenix Guard Full Command x20 and Banner of Sorcery 380pts

Swordmasters, Champion and Standard x11 and Lion Standard 214pts

Shadow Warriors, 80pts
Overall looks good to me! Just that small correction to make by dropping the shield on the BSB
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
Ravenglass

#6 Post by Ravenglass »

Thanks Grantmepower! I will go ahead and play test this and see how it works out, will try and update once I have had a few battles.