Some Beastmen lists...

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

geoguswrek

Some Beastmen lists...

#1 Post by geoguswrek »

Having just started beastmen, i'm still toying with what list to use so i've come up with a few for your perusal/comments

First off: 1999 points (for a tournament) - this list is more or less set in stone but i thought i'd post it anyway.

Gorebull (general) with Heavy Armour, Shield, Many Armed Beast (gives an extra attack) and Bronze Cleaver (gives an extra attack on every model in BTB).

Gorebull Battle Standard Bearer with Heavy Armour, Shield, Great Weapon, Ramhorn Helm (gives an extra attack for each passed armour save), Gnarled Hide (+2 armour save), Gougetusks (armour piercing).
Brayshaman, 2 scrolls.

4x5 Ungors
4 Tuskgor Chariots
3x5 Dogs
2x6 Dogs

4 Minotaurs, Great Weapons, Musician, Champion, Blackened Hide.
3 Razorgors
5 Harpies

Cygor.

And a 2000 point list, i want to go Msu style with minotaurs. but i'm not really sure what to use around them.

Great Bray Shaman level 4, Bronze Cleaver, Many Armed Beast, Skin of Man (scout), Jagged dagger (each wound done in combat is stored and can be used as extra power dice), dispel scroll.

Bray Shaman, level 2 Scroll, Hagtree Fetish (pick a unit within 24 at the start of the magic phase, reroll to wound at that unit during the magic phase).

4 Tuskgor Chariots (less than 4 seems pointless)
4 x 5 Ungor Raiders
4 x 5 Hounds

3 Great Weapon Mino's w/ Musician
4 Great Weapon Mino's w/ Musician, Champion and Stone of Spite
3 Additional Hand Weapon Mino's w/ Musician
4 Additional Hand Weapon Mino's w/ Musician
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Griffon Prince

Re: Some Beastmen lists...

#2 Post by Griffon Prince »

Ello there

I think the first list has a wee bit too many dogs in it. Are you running a hero in the Razorgors or in one of the 6 strong hound units (I know some take hounds with poisoned attacks and frenzy them)? I'd try to get a few points to upgrade the Harpies into scouts. Aside from that, the list looks very solid.

The second list is a fast army from hell. I'd probably soil myself if I had to face that list, lol.
Good on you for giving the Mino units musicians, I see players not taking them and then losing them to a failed rally attempt. I would most definitely invest in some Harpies for this list and maybe try to fit the Chalice in there as well (since not all the Minos will be Immune to Psych at the start).
I recently fielded a Beastmen list with no rares and while it was tougher to play, I still pulled out a solid win thanks in part to my absurdly strong Doombull and his Battle Standard Gorebull buddy. The new army is much more point click than in 6th edition but it still requires alot of finesse and planning. Goodluck
geoguswrek

#3 Post by geoguswrek »

Griffon Prince wrote:Ello there

I think the first list has a wee bit too many dogs in it. Are you running a hero in the Razorgors or in one of the 6 strong hound units (I know some take hounds with poisoned attacks and frenzy them)? I'd try to get a few points to upgrade the Harpies into scouts. Aside from that, the list looks very solid.
Normally i run the heroes al solo, since they don't really need the units too often. I do use the characters to make the units immune to panic sometimes however. Since my heaviest hitters are frenzied (even the mino's are frenzied once they have won combat..) and all overrun/pursue d6 inches (so they can't even get out of the way). I need lots of dogs to keep my units under control and to keep the opponent from flanking the units when they do charge. I also use them to crossfire quite a bit (since this is a guaranteeds kill with my units only moving d6 inches). I don't like scouting harpies, i don't see the use and since the unit is normally used as a suicide i don't want it costing more than it has to.
Griffon Prince wrote: The second list is a fast army from hell. I'd probably soil myself if I had to face that list, lol.
Good on you for giving the Mino units musicians, I see players not taking them and then losing them to a failed rally attempt. I would most definitely invest in some Harpies for this list and maybe try to fit the Chalice in there as well (since not all the Minos will be Immune to Psych at the start).
I recently fielded a Beastmen list with no rares and while it was tougher to play, I still pulled out a solid win thanks in part to my absurdly strong Doombull and his Battle Standard Gorebull buddy. The new army is much more point click than in 6th edition but it still requires alot of finesse and planning. Goodluck
Can't get the harpies, they cost a special choice. Similarly to get the chalice i'd need another character, which i don't want to spend points on. i'm not convinced the rares are truly worth it unless you've ran out of specials and characters (which can be made to be significantly harder than the rares for similar investment).
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Griffon Prince

#4 Post by Griffon Prince »

geoguswrek wrote:Normally i run the heroes al solo, since they don't really need the units too often.
And they don't get shot to pieces? wow, man that's nuts. Do you face any shooting at this point level?
geoguswrek wrote:Since my heaviest hitters are frenzied (even the mino's are frenzied once they have won combat..) and all overrun/pursue d6 inches (so they can't even get out of the way). I need lots of dogs to keep my units under control and to keep the opponent from flanking the units when they do charge. I also use them to crossfire quite a bit (since this is a guaranteeds kill with my units only moving d6 inches).
Point taken (nod)
geoguswrek wrote:Can't get the harpies, they cost a special choice. Similarly to get the chalice i'd need another character, which i don't want to spend points on.
Yup. I meant to say you could perhaps drop a unit of Mino's for some Harpies.
I think the Chalice might help you out a ton since this list doesn't have any static CR or numbers and is thus more likely to take panic tests.
As far as the rares go, I think they are a great addition to any list because they all cause terror and you won't have to worry about Mino's failing an LD test when charging a big beastie like a Hydra. I agree that BM special choices can be tooled up to break open tanks but the rares are more resilient and they are also more maueverable.
geoguswrek

#5 Post by geoguswrek »

Griffon Prince wrote: And they don't get shot to pieces? wow, man that's nuts. Do you face any shooting at this point level?
They are t5 with armour saves, they are harder to bring down than a griffon, and there won't be many bolt throwers or cannons due to the limited slots (plus if there is more than a single cannon the character join units). The BSb is almost impossible to bring down, i just sit him infront of things and watch the carnage.

Griffon Prince wrote: Yup. I meant to say you could perhaps drop a unit of Mino's for some Harpies.
I think the Chalice might help you out a ton since this list doesn't have any static CR or numbers and is thus more likely to take panic tests.
As far as the rares go, I think they are a great addition to any list because they all cause terror and you won't have to worry about Mino's failing an LD test when charging a big beastie like a Hydra. I agree that BM special choices can be tooled up to break open tanks but the rares are more resilient and they are also more maueverable.
While i agree the harpies would be a better choice than the fourth mino unit, i don't want the Harpies since i want to do a mino horde. I also agree that the chalice would be of great use. Again the porblem is that i'd need to buy an extra hero just to get the chalice and the points the hero costs are quite high (though i could use a wargor on foot and send him steed of shadows-ing. (this is the plan for the GBS in many games, shadow on the level 2 + beasts on the level 4 to try to get a Bear angered level 4 flying about with the jagged dagger..)
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Giladis
The Merlord

#6 Post by Giladis »

Where are the Gors?

I am having my first game this weekend at 2250 and I am using 56 Gors in 4 units.

Do not underestimate the Gors.

Also better buy now than when the 8th hits :wink:
geoguswrek

#7 Post by geoguswrek »

Gors won't be that good anyway. Ungors however..
Besides, i'm waiting to see the rules before i decide.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Giladis
The Merlord

#8 Post by Giladis »

How does 6x4 with FC+AHW having 25 attacks sounds?

Or 7x3 Bestigors with Banner of Rust =P~
geoguswrek

#9 Post by geoguswrek »

ITs all predicated on a rumour being true though. And also neither is that good when you consider how many attacks things like chaos warriors get.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD