2250 Griffon tactics list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Maxl Rose

2250 Griffon tactics list

#1 Post by Maxl Rose »

Hello all

I've havent had the opertunity to play much lately but i've dont a lot of metagaming, on what would be a fun highelf list to play
I would like to hear what every one thinks, sugestions and comments very welcomed!

Prince-griffon,DA,sh,talismon of protection, Bow of the seafarer
Mage-lvl2,DS,Jewl of dusk
Mage-lvl2,DS,Seerstaff

Spearelfx17-command
Spearelfx17-command

Tiranoc charriot
Tiranoc charriot
Lion charriot
Swordmasterx10-stan,banner of balance
Dragon Princesx7-Mus,stan,sorcery

Eaglesx2
Boltthrowersx2

Hows it look is it too squishy to big monsters?
The mages go in the spearelf units, the SwordM are rearguard. Ill try and set up a flak charge with the lord teamed up with the DP or a charriot or two

Maxl Rose
Last edited by Maxl Rose on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
geoguswrek

Re: 2250 Griffon tactics list

#2 Post by geoguswrek »

The dragon prince champion seems unnecessary, the griffon prince needs the armour of valedor else he may as well be on an eagle, other than that it seems more or less alright.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Maxl Rose

#3 Post by Maxl Rose »

good call, I guess the DP dont need a champ 20pts does seem a bit much for one str 5 attack

ok some armor on the prince I was debating on that. Is Caledor the way to go or should I go Dragon scale shield it will be a +3 in stead of +2 but it gives a ward save
geoguswrek

#4 Post by geoguswrek »

Well against s3 the AoC is better, but gainst everything else the dragonscale is better. If you live with lots of high elf players or orcs and gobbos or lizards go AoC, otherwise shield is better.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Jaith

#5 Post by Jaith »

I have a few questions:
What kind of lists have you been facing?
When you say fun to play, do you mean for both players involved?
When you say meta gaming are you referring to tournament power lists?

Based on the presumption that your looking for a balance of a strong but fun list, here are some tips I have to offer.

I recommend getting Termakador's Guantlets and Talisman of Loec on your Griffon Prince, and dropping Talisman of Protection. Additionally, give him a lance to use if you so choose. He has better protection, and the option to do some serious damage with lance and Loec to those tough characters.

Since the Griffon doesn't take that extra hero slot compared to the equal-costed and superior sun dragon, maybe grab a BSB? He doesn't have to be anything special. I am going to advocate giving him your basic equipment (Dragon Armor, Shield, Great Weapon) so you can move the Banner of Sorcery over to him. This guy will give your troops the reroll break tests that High Elves really really need and offer a safe place for your Banner of Sorcery.

Dragon Princes should be at a size where if they die you don't lose too many points. They are used aggessively and always see action, meaning they are likely to die eventually. This is why I believe Banner of Sorcery needs to be somewhere else. You have a hard time justifying BoS when it can easily be gone by turn 3. I fully advocate naked 5-6 strong Dragon Prince units, with the exception of Banner of Ellyrion.

If your going to invest a magic banner in your Swordmasters, I recommend making them 14 strong. 2x7 formation.

What do you plan on your Spear elves to do? Those 18 ASF s3 attacks look good on paper, but i feel that its the combat resolution is where they shine. I recommend taking a big unit that can provide full combat resolution even after a few wounds (25 strong). Maybe swap the second unit of spears for a unit of 10 archers to support your RBT?

Sorry if this is a bit excessive and "Nit-Picky" most of these changes are my personal preference but I do believe they will help you a little bit. If you take my advice or not, I will still wish you good luck! :D
Maxl Rose

#6 Post by Maxl Rose »

@ Jaith
where i usualy play there is a mix so I dont realy build with any particular army in mind. My thought process when i make an army is somethign like what will i do against a big monster? what will i do against heavy magic? and then I try and prep for every thing

Yes I do mean fun for both players involved but I Do not like soft armies, playing against strong armies is my preference

hehe I mean thinking about how the army will handle its self against differnt lists. I might have used meta gaming improperly, its just something my old magic the gathering buddies used to say

I cant bring myself to add the BSB with out the banner of battle, but then he gets pricy. Would it be madness to drop the Boltthrowers for a BSB?

Swordmaster at 14 strong is ideal but I would have to lose a eagle, would this be a bad swap?

Termakadors guantlets do seem like the best fit for the prince his job is to shoot things with his bow, he hits like every thing on a 2, so what ever keeps him alive.

The spear elf are just bunker/dummie/protect BT units, any attention they get is good that means my fighting uninits are not being shot at/ignored

The griffon is just cool I think deep down i just want to paint one up :)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

The list looks basically sound to me but yeah I think it could do with a few changes.

Jaith's suggested kit-out for the Prince is sensible. I'm a bit suspicious of the Gauntlets as they only work against attacks with a S value but overall OK I guess. I like Dragonscale Shield, it's a good spend of 20pts in the right place.

I take your point that the Spear blocks are semi-disposable but you'll have to watch them carefully I think. A BSB is an idea but what do you drop to get him? You're then looking at approaching 1000pts in characters which is too much IMHO. Agree with Jaith that 14 is an idea for the Swordmasters or perhaps drop them to seven.

I think you have enough against monsters with effectively three bolt-shooters and a reasonable magic phase. Drop the RBT at your peril! :)
Sashimoto

#8 Post by Sashimoto »

I recommend to replace griffon for a sun dragon.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

But Griffons are nice and fluffy!

:)