White Lion Themed list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

KingKoopa

White Lion Themed list

#1 Post by KingKoopa »

The list I've come up with so far... trying to use a heavy theme with the lions. let me know what you think of it or changes I could make. I kind of wanted some magic punch to to the list but I'm not sure if it sticks with the theme. The lion princes took the banner of elyrion to stick with the theme of being able to move through forest like the white lions. - Thanks to Luna for some good ideas =D>

I could also drop the archmage and 5 spear elves for..
1 Lion Prince
General; Great Weapon
Radiant Gem of Hoeth
Armour of Caledor
Guardian Phoenix

The Prince has the radient gem which he will select lore of beasts and attempt to cast bears anger on himself (or ... Lions anger ;) )

Archmage (Great Lion Shaman) - Lvl 4
Jewel of the dusk
Ring of fury

1 Mage (Lion Shaman)
Magic Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Seerstaff of Saphery

1 Lion Noble
Dragon Armour; Shield; Battle Standard
Helm of Fortune
Sword of Might

1 Elf Steed: (Mounted on a lion)

10 Archers

20 Spear Elves
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

15 White Lions
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Lion Pelt; Standard; Musician
Lion Standard

15 White Lions
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Lion Pelt; Standard; Musician
Standard of Balance

5 Dragon(Lion) Princes ( will be mounted on lions)
Barding; Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield; Standard
Banner of Ellyrion

2 Lion Chariots

1 Great Eagle

2 RBT
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: White Lion Themed list

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks pretty sound. I'd try to find the points for War Banner on the Spears and I'd take Silver Wand instead of the Jewel.

Don't like the Prince option as you will not have enough spell threat to get stuff through. This would require Banner of Sorcery and maybe a second Mage IMHO.
Jaith

#3 Post by Jaith »

Forget the Archmage and the Prince! Make this a real white lion list and take Korhil as your general! ;)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

In a chariot.
KingKoopa

#5 Post by KingKoopa »

Korhil is definitely an idea.

SA - I'm curious (being new to HE) why the silver wand is valued over the Jewel? I would think having 4 spells already and 4+2+1 from Jewel possible power dice is 7 dice to throw at 4 spells vs max of 6 dice to throw at 5 spells. Is it just the greater variety?

Do you all like the idea of lions replacing elven steeds as mounts? I'm a bit conflicted about it...

It adds to the theme however lions and elven steeds have far different stat lines... not the same beast by any token.
I suppose one way I could do it is just by flipping it... saying the riders stats are the lions and the (steed) is the elf rider's... so it makes a bit more sense logically
Last edited by KingKoopa on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolt Thrower

#6 Post by Bolt Thrower »

KingKoopa wrote:Do you all like the idea of lions replacing elven steeds as mounts? I'm a bit conflicted about it...

It adds to the theme however lions and elven steeds have far different stat lines... not the same beast by any token.
Though I appreciate the all out effort going for the theme, I would still prefer knights on horses--but just one person's opinion :D . You could still write some story about the "knights of the lion" or some such. And also paint the horses similarly to lions. One idea could be to try and locate some lion chariot bits and put that lion head that goes on the front of the chariot onto the shields for the knights instead. Also using heads on the knights that have the tassle on top of the helmet instead. Seems like converting silver helms this way would be easier than the actual DP's due to being all plastic.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

A lot of guys use actual lions, I'd just go the way you feel like.
KingKoopa wrote:SA - I'm curious (being new to HE) why the silver wand is valued over the Jewel?
Ok what we do really well magically is spell selection. Of course we have the Seerstaff but the Silver Wand is almost as good on an Archmage. You'll find other armies like Lizardmen taking the +1 spell item a lot too.

What it does is significantly improves your chances of getting a particular spell. Say you're fighting Steam Tanks and you really want Spirit of the Forge. You will get in 5 games in 6 rather than 4, which is substantially better.
KingKoopa wrote:I would think having 4 spells already and 4+2+1 from Jewel possible power dice is 7 dice to throw at 4 spells vs max of 6 dice to throw at 5 spells
Of course an extra PD is good but having the right spells is better. You will likely only be casting three spells a turn anyway, so it pays to make sure they are good ones.
KingKoopa

#8 Post by KingKoopa »

SpellArcher wrote:A lot of guys use actual lions, I'd just go the way you feel like.
KingKoopa wrote:SA - I'm curious (being new to HE) why the silver wand is valued over the Jewel?
Ok what we do really well magically is spell selection. Of course we have the Seerstaff but the Silver Wand is almost as good on an Archmage. You'll find other armies like Lizardmen taking the +1 spell item a lot too.

What it does is significantly improves your chances of getting a particular spell. Say you're fighting Steam Tanks and you really want Spirit of the Forge. You will get in 5 games in 6 rather than 4, which is substantially better.
KingKoopa wrote:I would think having 4 spells already and 4+2+1 from Jewel possible power dice is 7 dice to throw at 4 spells vs max of 6 dice to throw at 5 spells
Of course an extra PD is good but having the right spells is better. You will likely only be casting three spells a turn anyway, so it pays to make sure they are good ones.
That makes a ton of sense. I had never really thought of it that way, learned something valuable every day here so far.