1000pt List vs. Skaven (New to the Elves)

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jonah_Dyke

1000pt List vs. Skaven (New to the Elves)

#1 Post by Jonah_Dyke »

Hey, so I used to play Empire a few years ago, but just got back into the game with High Elves. I'm limited in terms of models as I'm so new to the army. I have played the Skaven (played them a couple of days ago) and faired extremely poorly for a number of reasons. One main thing though was the Doom Wheel and how it soaked up my Sword Masters - although I got the charge which I figured was a huge bonus. Anyway, please let me know how you think this list sounds; is it not troop heavy enough? is that magic going to help do you think? Just interested in what people think might work:

Heroes:
Level 2 Mage: Elven Steed (12pts) + The Seerstaff of Saphery (30pts) + Jewel of the Dusk
(15pts) = 192pts........ Ehrial will be using the Lore of Metal with the spells Commandment of
Brass and Transmutation of Lead

Noble on Barded Steed (16pts) + Heavy Armour (4pts) + Shield (2pts) + Lance (4 pts) + Sword of Battle (20pts) + Foe Bane (25pts) = 156pts......... Ehryn will join the unit of Silver Helms

Core:

15 Spearmen + FC = 160pts

10 Spearmen + Musician = 95pts

Special:

10 Swordmasters + FC = 180pts

5 Silver Helms + Shields = 115pts

Rare:

Repeater Bolt Thrower = 100pts
Total = 998pts

-Thanks
Fwum

Re: 1000pt List vs. Skaven (New to the Elves)

#2 Post by Fwum »

Remember that you can only have one item of each kind on a hero, meaning that both your mage (two arcane items) and your noble (two magic weapons) is illegal.

Magic is very iffy at low point battles, as you need quite an investment for it to do damage. If you decide on magic I would either give the gem of hoeth to the noble or drop it entirely and get another mage. Only a single caddy (a lv1 plague priest with a scroll or two) would shut down your mage for a lot of the game. Also, you should probably rethink the chosen spells. I'm guessing you chose Commandment of brass to affect the doomwheel, but it only affect the warplightning cannon and the plague claw catapult and not the doomwheel as it is not defined as any unit type. Another option that is popular is the ring of fury+silver wand, giving you a better chance to do some damage in the magic phase with a single mage.

You should probably drop the FC on the spearelves as the banner is really free points for your opponent. I've had a lot of success with bringing small groups of 15 as they can beat skaven light infantry quite easily, but expect them to run from any fully ranked clanrat regiment. By removing the banner and the champ you get enough points to upgrade the other spearelves to archers, as you right now lack some light shootning to take out weapon teams and other support units. 10 spearelves are not going to do anything useful, and they need all their 15 fully ranked attacks to win a combat.

The silver helms should really be dragon princecs, but I'm guessing your limited model range is to blame there. If your opponent is ok with it you can use the SH as proxies, as the DPs are just that much better. To pay for them you could drop some SM or their command, with 14 S 5 attacks you don't really need that banner and it is still worth 100 points for your opponent if he breaks them in combat.

Skaven is really nasty in low point battles, and I really think that bringing the doomwheel at 1000 points is quite OTT as our only real counter is loads of bolt throwers. Good luck next time.
Bolt Thrower

#3 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Fwum is right on with the best doomwheel defense is some bolt thrower action. You might want to consider taking high magic on your mage and use the seerstaff to take curse of arrow attraction and fury of khaine. If you can squeeze off the curse spell on the doomwheel and then hit it with a single bolt you may be able to take it down in a few turns. Do your best to avoid getting into combat with it IMHO. Maybe a character setup like this?

Mage - Lvl 2, Seerstaff, Power Stone, Elven Steed - 197 (save that power stone until you've drawn out any scrolls)
Noble - Barded Steed, Heavy Armor, Shield, Lance, Reaver Bow - 151

Also, consider dropping one of your core units to make one unit of 15 Lothern Sea Guard (just use your spear models for this is acceptable). This way you get some shooting and spear capability. At 1000 points we only require one core choice. This will open up a lot of points for you to change your helms to Dragon Princes (I proxy my helms as DP's all the time--just can't afford them :D ). Take a banner on your dragon princes and make it the banner of sorcery to give you some more oomph in the magic phase.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Jonah_Dyke

#4 Post by Jonah_Dyke »

Okay, thanks for the comments. I hadn't realized the rule about two of the same kind of magic items, but I just read it over in the book. Thanks for letting me know.

I think I'll really take the advice on magic, 'cause I need to figure out how best to deal best with that against him, seeing as how he likes to take a good amount of magic and it's not very expensive for him to do so. I think I'll also take more Spearmen too, simply because I need more numbers on the table.

Again, thanks for the comments.