2250 pt Tournay list - Magic Heavy

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Lord Narhir

2250 pt Tournay list - Magic Heavy

#1 Post by Lord Narhir »

I am planning to use this list for an big upcoming tournament in April and would like any suggestions on improving the list

Archmage - Lvl 4, ring of fury, guardian pheonix, silver wand, eagle - 385pts (5 spells and a bound item should ensure he can deliver in the magic phase)

Mage - Lvl 2, seerstaff, dispell scroll - 185pts (Can ensure i get that beast cowers spell when taking on dragons)

Noble - BSB, dragon armour, elven steed, shield, sword of might, helm of fortune (1+ rerollable armour save should keep him alive and stop my units from running easily from combat)

Core
Archers x 11 - 121pts
Spears x 15 - Musician - 140pts (these cheap spear units are still highly threating to non-elites)
Spears x 15 - Musician -140pts

Specials
Pheonix Guard x 15 - Full command, banner of sorcery - 305pts

Dragon Princes x 5 - Banner of Ellyrion - 185pts

White lions x 10 - Full command, amulet of light - 195pts

Tiranoc Chariot - 85pts

Rares
RBT - 100pts
RBT - 100pts
RBT - 100pts
Eagle - 50pts (warmachine hunter and then march blocker)

Notes:
I know that mounted on an eagle my archmage is more vulurable to shooting and magic, but it does give me far more ability to move to where his spells are needed most and i will plan to ensure he stays behind either a unit or terrain.

I plan to put my noble with the DP or the white lions depending on what the enemy has and put the mage on foot with 1 of the spearelf units
orka

Re: 2250 pt Tournay list - Magic Heavy

#2 Post by orka »

Does your Noble has a barded steed?
I would lose 1 Archer and a unit of Spears, using the points to bump up the other unit to 20-25 with FC and magic standard(War Bannner?). Also give the WL Lion Standard and maybe a few more bodies. Not a fan of protection on an archmage, would swap GP for a Dispel Scroll, but don't if it works well for you.
Archmage on Eagle has indeed possibilities a foot one has not, I think geoguswrek plays one aswell.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2250 pt Tournay list - Magic Heavy

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

orka wrote: I think geoguswrek plays one aswell.
Geo runs the Loremaster's Cloak, as magic (missiles) is a problem for this guy. It can be good to take non-LOS magic, as then he's not exposed to enemy shooting so much. Ring of Fury is moot for this reason IMHO. He still has spells like the Orb of Thunder and Warpgale to worry about and worse, automatic effects like Falcon Horn and Storm Banner. He's interesting though.

Like Orka, I'm wary of the Spear units but I know some good players run them. I'm totally with him on the Lion Standard.