2250 Beastmen to rate

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Giladis
The Merlord

2250 Beastmen to rate

#1 Post by Giladis »

How would you guys rate this list on the basis of balanace, between power and friendliness?

CHARACTERS
Beastlord – 255 pts

Great Weapon
Shield
Trollhide: Light Armour + Regeneration
Gouge-Tusks: Armour Piercing to all attacks
Gnarled Hide: 5+ Scaly Skin
Rune of the True Beast: -1 to hit by Monsters, Steeds and Swarms

Bray Shaman – 162 pts
Level 2 (Beast)
Additional Hand Weapon
Staff of Darkoth: Magic Missile, 24“, 5D6 S1, Power Level 3

Bray Shaman – 152 pts
Level 2 (Death)
Additional Hand Weapon
Chalice of Dark Rain: One use only. For one turn enemy shooting is at -1 To Hit, non-balistic skill attacks shoot only on a 4+

Bray Shaman – 162 pts
Level 2 (Death)
Additional Hand Weapon
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

CORE
10 Gors – 80 pts

Additional Hand Weapon

10 Gors – 80 pts
Additional Hand Weapon

10 Ungor Radiers – 63 pts
Musician

Musician

Musician

Musician

Tuskgor Chariot – 80 pts

Tuskgor Chariot – 80 pts

5 Warhounds – 30 pts

5 Warhounds – 30 pts

SPECIAL
20 Bestigors – 270 pts

Full Command

4 Minotaurs – 252 pts
Great Weapons

4 Minotaurs – 252 pts
Great Weapons

6 Harpies – 66 pts

RARE
2 Chaos Spawns - 110 pts

TOTAL:2250
MODELS:112
PD/D.D.:8+pl3/5+2DS
DEPLOYMENTS: 17(3)

5 Hard hitters
4 Shooting support
4 Diverters
1 Annoyance
2 Blockers
limkopi

Re: 2250 Beastmen to rate

#2 Post by limkopi »

Being more of a power/tactical player, I would rate this as rather friendly.

I dislike the hounds. They are too easy to target for panic tests. Down 2 models and you can cause panic to the unit and panic to others if the dawgs flee past them. Subsequently, you can also down the other 3 to cause another round of panic. If the opponent happens to kill more than 2 in a single phase, it is an easy task to down the last models to cause area panic as well. The first time my regular opponent played the new beasts, he had hounds. I had a shooty list. I targeted the hounds to cause panic as I mentioned. We had a game immediately after that game. The hounds didn't appear this time. In fact, they disappeared from all his beasts lists after that first game. Hounds work in WoC because those guys have immunity/rerolls to panic.

Alternatively, raiders with starting size of 5 needs to be totally eliminated to cause panic to other units. This would be harder to achieve with shooting since they are skirmishers and also they can either be hidden behind terrain without much hindrance to your movement or kept in ambush to come in far from your lines.

Also, I wouldn't call the Bestigors and the Chariots hard hitters. They are more for support.

Get rid of the hounds and bring in more Ungor raiders. I also suggest breaking up your units of 10 into units of 5. Once done, You can now use the many units of raiders to set up charges for your Bestigor!
Griffon Prince

#3 Post by Griffon Prince »

Greetings, Admiral
Giladis wrote:Beastlord – 255 pts
Great Weapon
Shield
Trollhide: Light Armour + Regeneration
Gouge-Tusks: Armour Piercing to all attacks
Gnarled Hide: 5+ Scaly Skin
Rune of the True Beast: -1 to hit by Monsters, Steeds and Swarms
How bad do you need a -5 to armor saves? True, there are some enemy Lords with gross enough armour but I'd take something else.

I'm not a fan of Rune of the True Beast but one use for it is to put it on a Bestigor champ in case you challenge enemy characters riding a monster of some kind.

Upgrading the Harpies to scouts is always a plus and it doesn't make them too good for a friendly list.
geoguswrek

#4 Post by geoguswrek »

Hey,

I'd keep the armour piercing on your general, it means he can use his hand weapon + shield if he needs to, to benefit from the 2+ save, i would however swap out the rune of the true beast, its not that big a deal, drop one bestigor and give the bestigor champion the blackened plate. This way you always have a 4+ ward save for your general.

The hounds may be a bit of a liability, but i've never had too much trouble with them panicking my stuff in my beasties (though that may be because i have frenzy all over the place).

It'd be nice to get the hagtree fetish in, but i can't see how you would do that, it does make the staff of darkoth an actual threat.

Oh and you'll find minotaurs are the ultimate in glass cannonry, if they charge they go through almost everything, but if they get charged they die.

ps: what? no gorebulls?
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Giladis
The Merlord

#5 Post by Giladis »

Interesting observations.

The doggies are here to stay since they are needed for their M7 and though they are prone to panicking if enemy want's to shoot at them on they may be my guests. Ld 9 should keep the important stuff hold their ground.

Breaking Ungors is not an option as I allready have more small units than it is healthy for a challenging game. Also in larger formation they can better deal with Fast Cavalry/other scouts-skirmishers and still have some meat to soak some damage.

The AP and the Rune is on the general so that he can challenge enemies riding dragons or stegadons etc... and have a good save all at the same time :)

The combo you speak of geoguswrek would be great if it would be legal.
Bestigor Champ can take only Gifts while it is the Mino Champ that can take Magic items :(

I wonder why Chariots and Bestigors wouldn't count as Hard Hitters? They have multiple S5+ attacks. It is a especially strange statement being made on an Elf site :?

I don't like band wagons. Gorebulls are great, therefore the few people that will actually play Beastmen will use them as BSB-s so I will not. I am aware it will be harder to play but it will help me hone my gaming skills back to the levels they were before I used 7th ed HE, DoC, LM and VC (WoC have kept me a bit on the toes but they have may to much armour to be really chalenging).

I am actually considering to drop a unit of Raiders and both Minotaur units and take 2 more Bestigor blocks to get a feeling of a proper army :mrgreen:
geoguswrek

#6 Post by geoguswrek »

i didn't realise that bestigors couldn't take magic items... thats annoying (good job i don't use any bestigors)

I'm using two gorebulls, they really are pretty nice and while i agree that doggies are a must, i think your army could do with a little more psychology protection, something it is sadly lacking at tthe moment (yes, the minos are fear causing, but other than that..) Since your army is essentially three units, could you find the points to turn your beastlord into a doombull, since the doombull's frenzy protects your big unit of bestigor, and makes them more threatening (the extra attack). Though he does slow them down, which is frustrating. (oh and you can give your doombull some items to make him absolutely vicious)

if you do take a second block, give them the totem of rust, it is very nasty for its cost, especially since bestigors have little armour.

The chariots aren't hard hitters on their own, since they only have d6 impacts hits and only 1 s5 attack from on top, they are nasty and completely worth the points, but they are not, on their own, hard hitters... 20 bestigors + character are only hard hitters if deployed 7 wide, deployed 5 wide they are a ranked unit that hits harder than other ranked units.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
limkopi

#7 Post by limkopi »

The chariots are like HE Tiranoc Chariots, D6 impact hits and a dubious rider (1 attack per rider/mount iirc). The Bestigor only have 1 attack each like White Lions. In my experience, WL do not hit particularly hard. They'd be lucky if they cause a wound to heavy cav or 2-3 wounds to infantry. The only thing going for your Bestigor are the SCR that is being generated. It will help with your 1/2 wounds.
GobbladasSquig

#8 Post by GobbladasSquig »

I think the complete lack of magical attacks could be a liability.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Looking at the book I get the impression that you need to make the most of what you've got to be competitive, it is not forgiving. I know you're a good player but Beasts look like a difficult army to do this with.

That said, there's a guy called Kholdaimon on other forums who rates the mass-ambush build and seems to be doing OK with it.
Giladis
The Merlord

#10 Post by Giladis »

SpellArcher wrote:Looking at the book I get the impression that you need to make the most of what you've got to be competitive, it is not forgiving. I know you're a good player but Beasts look like a difficult army to do this with.

That said, there's a guy called Kholdaimon on other forums who rates the mass-ambush build and seems to be doing OK with it.
During the afternoon I have peen playing with some ideas and for an unknow reason my battle plans keep omiting Minotaurs and adding as many as 6 units of Gors instead. I will have my first 500 pts game pretty soon to start the ball rolling and will expand based on experience but I have a good feeling about 24 strong Gor units forming the battleline.