2250 Tourney - please help me spend my last 210 points

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ptolemy

2250 Tourney - please help me spend my last 210 points

#1 Post by Ptolemy »

Hey all,

I'm putting together a Star Dragon tournament list for when they don't let me bring along Teclis. I could use some help spending the last 210 points on various options I have cooked up below

Here is the list so far:

Star Dragon (typical kit)
Noble BSB - DA,GW, Gem of Hoeth
Mage - 2 x Scrolls

10 Archers
10 Archers

15 Phoenix Guard, FC, Warbanner (bsb here)
6 Dragon Princes, Std, Ellyrion banner
7 Swordmasters

3RBTs

That totals up to 2040 Points. With the last 210, I used to have a block of White Lions but they have been very quick to underwhelm me, not being nearly as tough to kill as PG and not even remotely close to as killy as SMs.

With that in mind, here are the options I cooked up to flush out the list. Opinions gratefully requested.

A. Tiranoc Chariot, 5 Shadow Warriors, Great Eagle

B. Tiranoc, 5 more PGs, Great Eagle

C. Lion Chariot, Great Eagle and 20 odd points left over for a magic item

D. Drop 1 DP, get a Lion Chariot and a Tiranoc

E. Drop 1 DP, get a Lion Chariot and Shadow Warriors

F. Drop 1 DP, get a Lion Chariot, Great Eagle and 3 more PG (to help keep combat res)

Thanks all. Of course, any other suggestions are more than welcome.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
madelmo

Re: 2250 Tourney - please help me spend my last 210 points

#2 Post by madelmo »

i'd use those points to make your pg unit a bit bigger (for a full block of 5x4)

rest of the points could be used to make another sm unit and/or an eagle
Ptolemy

#3 Post by Ptolemy »

Thanks for the response!

Alright, if I spend the 75 points on another 5 PGs, then we are looking at having 135 points left.

Where to go with them?

I can grab an Eagle and a tiranoc for that or an eagle and shadow warriors.

My initial thought with this army was to use units in teams to emphasize the combined force tactics of HE. In my dozen or so games with the Dragon, the only thing that stops me from running roughshod over enemy units are heavy war machines. Even O and G, when they know my list is coming, bring buckets of bolt throwers. This says nothing about dwarven Thorek gun lines.

My Dragon was supposed to team up with my Dragon Princes in my initial plan. However, maybe its just because at least half of my games have been against Dwarves, but positioning the Dragon to join the DPs on a round 2 or 3 charge is difficult without exposing drakeboy to a crap ton of heavy fire. So, I've been using him to breathe and cause panic tests before joining combat around round 4. The DPs have been getting isolated without him and getting munched by stuff (usually the heavy warmachine fire that now can't target the Dragon.)

Thats why I was leaning towards a chariot and warmachine hunter combo. The DPs need a buddy to double charge with (Lion Chariot is ideal for this but expensive) and my dragon needs something to lock down warmachine crews. Hatred swinging Shadow Warriors could potentially be there by round 2 right along with the Eagle by Round 3.

Thoughts on this? I appreciate all the help guys.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
limkopi

#4 Post by limkopi »

The PG still seems to have no role here. Against a gunline, you have to utilise terrain. If the terrain is fixed, you'll need Eagles. The trouble with SW is that they can be easily pre-empted and charged whilst getting into position. Use Silver Helms to get rid of war machines if you have to, or use DP for the job. Chariots might seem to be able to do the job, but I strongly suggest not to do that. The opponent can simply take a turn or 2 of shooting to down the chariots and deal 4 wounds easy. I would drop the PG and SM (I have grown weary of trying to make them elite infantry work) and use the points for a mix of Lion Chariots, Tiranocs, DP and SH. Also, don't be afraid to use the Dragon for war machine hunting. You can also use the Archers and RBTs to focus fire on the war machines. There is a possibility of downing the crew to reduce the rate of fire.
Ptolemy

#5 Post by Ptolemy »

Im surprised to hear you not liking the PG. They have worked wonders for me in every single game. They are easily my most reliable troops, acting as a wonderful anvil to tie up whatever needs to be tied up. The killing power and combat res of the BSB makes the unit even win most engagements unless it is met with more of the same.

My 7 man unit of swordmasters has seen off 25 man blocks of orc big uns. For 105 points they do a million things for me from warmachine guarding (ie dwarven miners or lots of fast cav) to a brutal flank charge.