Advice for a 2250 tourney, a little different

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

XyonBlade

Advice for a 2250 tourney, a little different

#1 Post by XyonBlade »

My local gaming group has been following 8th edition rumors, and next month we'll be running a for fun tourny using the %'s rumors with some of our own rules additions, I'll post up the rules so you all can see what we're doing.

Rules

No Special Characters are allowed.

All current army books are legal. Chaos Dwarfs (Ravening Hordes) are legal. Dogs of War are legal as an army, but may not be taken in non-Dogs of War armies.

Winds of Magic: At the beginning of each Magic Phase count the number of Power Dice in the casting army. If there are more than nine dice total for the army, roll each of the extra dice immediately. On an individual result of 4 or more, that dice is immediately lost.

Army Construction

2,250 point armies created with the following guidelines...

Character, Core, Special and Rare slot restrictions are replaced with the following...
Characters: 25% (563 points maximum), Lord choices may not be duplicated, Hero choices may be duplicated up to three times
Core: 25% (563 points minimum), choices may be duplicated any number of times
Special: 30% (675 points maximum), choices may be duplicated up to three times
Rare: 15% (338 points maximum), choices may be duplicated up to twice

Core Units that do not count towards the army's minimum Core requirements (Dark Elf Harpies, Chaos Hounds, etc) do not count towards or against any percentile category.

Anything purchased as Two-For-One slot counts as a single selection for duplication purposes (two Reaper Bolt Throwers count as a single Reaper Bolt Thrower selection, for example).

Army Specific Rules

Goblin Shamans or Great Shamans of both types (Night and Regular) both count as Goblin Shamans or Great Shamans for duplication purposes.

Orc Shamans or Great Shamans of both types (Savage and Regular) both count as Orc Shamans or Great Shamans for duplication purposes.

High Elf Repeater Bolt Throwers and Great Eagles both count as Two-for-One choices.

High Elves only require 20% of Core selections (450 points minimum), and may field up to 35% (788 point maximum) of Special selections.

Dark Elf Assassins do not count towards or against any percentile category. They may be duplicated up to three times.

I'll of course be taking high elfs.

I know I want to take 2 eagles 2 bolt throwers, because thats usually what I take anyways, so thats 300 points down, I could go infantry heavy, cav heavy, shooting heavy, etc, I have alot of models available I could proxy in for stuff at an acceptable level.

I'm mainly concerned about the characters I should take, advice on whether I should take a few good characters, or load up on some cheap nobles, or something else, I'm open to suggestions.
XyonBlade

Re: Advice for a 2250 tourney, a little different

#2 Post by XyonBlade »

We'll also be using 3 pretty unique scenarios, one for each round of the tourny. Here are the scenario rules

Scenario #1: An Axe to Grind

Set-Up: Pitched Battle.
Deployment: Pitched Battle. Skirmishers and Fast Cavalry may deploy up to 16” from their table edge.
Special Rules: All characters in both armies Hate all characters in the opponent’s army with a higher total points cost than themselves. If they already Hated those characters then they may add +1 to their dice when determining Pursuit distance when pursuing a unit that includes an enemy character of greater value.
Victory: Pitched Battle. In addition, each character in the opposing army that is killed is worth an additional 50 Victory Points.

Scenario #2: The Storm of Chaos

Set-Up: Pitched Battle.
Deployment: Pitched Battle.
Special Rules: Before the game begins, the player who placed the last unit on the table should roll D6 and consult the chart below to see what the Winds of Chaos have done to the battlefield. At the end of Turn 3, roll again and replace the original result with the new one.
1. Rain of Fire – At the beginning of each Magic Phase, the active player may choose to place the small template anywhere on the battlefield. Scatter this template as if were a shot from a Stone Thrower, on a Misfire, the opposing player may place the template anywhere on the table without scattering it. Models touched by the template suffer a Strength 3 Magical Flaming Hit.
2. Wraithverge – During the Movement Phase on the turn in which this effect begins, during the Movement Phase, each unit in the player’s army must roll a Fear Test. If this test is failed the unit may not move during this turn. Undead, Daemons and Forest Spirits must roll a Leadership test, if they fail they immediately suffer D6 Strength 3 Magical Hits that ignore armor saves.
3. Tempest Winds – All units gain a 4+ Ward Save against all shooting attacks (Magic Missiles are unaffected). Flying units wishing to use their Flying Movement during the movement phase must roll D6, and will suffer a completely unsaveable wound on a roll of 1 (randomize this hit as a shooting attack if necessary).
4. Spectral Squall – When rolling for miscasts, roll D6+1 instead of 2D6. All Ward Saves are reduced by one (e.g. a 4+ Ward Save becomes a 5+ Ward Save, etc) to a minimum of a 6+.
5. Hellish Heat – Units wishing to March during a turn must first pass a Toughness test, otherwise they move at their regular movement rate (if the unit includes models with multiple Toughness values, use the highest value available).
6. Grip of Winter – At the end of each player’s movement phase, any units in their army that did not move and are not in combat with an enemy unit immediately suffer D6 Strength 1 hits that ignore armor saves (resolve these as shooting hits).
Victory: Pitched Battle.

Scenario #3: Take the High Ground

Set-Up: Place terrain as normal. Afterward, place a medium sized hill (6-8” width) in the very center of the table.
Deployment: Pitched Battle.
Special Rules: At the end of Turn 5, roll D6. On a result of 5 or more, the game immediately ends. Roll again at the end of Turn 6, with the game ending on a roll of 3 or more. The game automatically ends at the conclusion of Turn 7.
Victory: At the end of the game, count up every unit from both sides within 3” of the hill. The side with more units contesting the hill is considered to have captured it, and is awarded with an additional 500 Victory Points. Core units of infantry including a Standard Bearer count as two units for hill capturing purposes. Victory Points are not awarded during this scenario for capturing table quarters, but all other normal Victory Point awards apply.
XyonBlade

#3 Post by XyonBlade »

I've come up with a list I think I want to use for this tourny, any advice or comment is welcome.

Archmage, lvl 4, jewel dusk, ring of fury, 2 scrolls

Noble, bsb, sword of might, golden shield, barded steed, dragon armor

24 spearmen, music, standard, warbanner

20 spearmen, music, standard

14 seaguard, shields

6 swordmasters

5 dragon princes, champ

15 phoenix guard, champ

2 lion chariots

2 rbt

2 great eagles

2242 pts total, I stay under the %'s for characters, special, and rare allotted to high elfs, and I manage to go over the minimum % for core.
PGP

#4 Post by PGP »

I'd decrease core and increase special. 400 pts core with HE means a box of spears with magic banner (I'd take lion) and 2x10 archers. Get the extra pd for archmage from banner of sorcery not from jewel (take the wand, pd rules are designed for banner of sorcery). You can fit the sorcery banner to DP or PG. I'd take it to DP. PG and SM need more size. ToL or GoC champ is quite often played with small SM (7 or 9). HoF is probably better option for BSB than golden shield. Usual combos for BSB are AoC+gw+GoC/GP/AoL/ToL or barded steed+SoM+HoF+GoC. Drop also champ from DP or increase it to six. Yoo get look out sir to BSB, if you place it there.

I'd go probably without bsb relying on GoC, which comes to something like:
lvl4+seer+scroll+fury (if you want something different try seafahrer bow+seer and lvl2+2xscrolls+GoC/wand)
lvl2+wand+scroll+GoC
2-3x10 archers (you could think 4x10 archers instead of spears with couple of musos)
18-21 spears with FC and lion banner
5-6 DP+sorcery banner (+ellyrian)
0-1 x5-6 DP (+war/ellyrian banner)
0-3 lion chariots
0 or 2-3 tiranocs
0-1 5xsw
0-1 13-18 lions with fc and balance banner
2xrbt
2xeagle or 1x eagle and 5xreavers with musician (storm banner is a bitch):

As I am now feeling 3 lion chariots I defintely would go with following list:
lvl4+seer+scroll+fury
lvl2+wand+GoC+scroll
2x10 archers
20 spears with FC and lion banner (mage bunker)
6xDP with sb and sorcery banner
6xDP with sb and ellyrian banner
3xlion chariots (one each behind DP and spears)
5xsw
2xrbt
2xeagle