2k really magic heavy, competative enough?

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Atty1988

2k really magic heavy, competative enough?

#1 Post by Atty1988 »

Hey all, i recently played with this list to some success against lizardmen, im just wondering how good it would be against a better player considering my mate isnt too great at playing yet lol

Teclis (bunkered)
L2 mage, seerstaff, scroll (forest/RBT crew normally)
L2 mage, RoF, Wand (forest/RBT crew normally)
L2 mage, sacred incense, RoC (bunkered)
2 x 10 Archers
8 Phoenix gaurd, std, banner of sorcery (the bunker)
5 Shadow warriors
2 x 6 Swordmasters
2 Great eagles
2 RBT's
= 1992, 12PD+teclis D3+banner D3+RoF+RoC / 7DD+teclis D3+teclis scroll+scroll
Lord, 3 Heroes, 2 Core, 4 Special, 4 Rare

Mage with seer generally takes beasts for beast cowers and either oxen stands or even the missle one for forest dwelling skirmishers...such as those skinks!
Obvisouly shadow warriors and eagles march block to allow optimum time for magic and shooting death lol.
Sword masters are just awesome and have always been really worth while when iv used them, they have a role depending on opponent army and deployment.
Archers for those large targets just hoping for those lucky hits on giants or even shooting fast calvary and flyers if neccessary.
RBT's the normal really, big things, flanking fast cav etc

So what are peoples opinions? im expecting to be told theres not enough CC in here, also that my bunker is too small and has the chance to panic too easily...erm and probably some other stuff too

P.S spirit of the forge on teclis and beast cowers on seer annihilated 2 EoTGs fantastically lol was great fun and two very lucky RBT singles sniped Kroq-gar first game turn :lol:

Thanks for reading i look forward to C&C
geoguswrek

Re: 2k really magic heavy, competative enough?

#2 Post by geoguswrek »

what, pray tell, are you planning on doing against the ring of hotek?
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
WarpPhoenix

#3 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Main problem is there just isnt enough stuff on the board, when you start playing against other armies that dont have huge mega beasts that suck points like a black hole you'll find yourself VERY overwhelmed. For instance I can see an O&G list beating this just because they'd have more untis of the board and way too many for you too handle. The phoenix guard ARE way too small. You dont need large amounts of fighting troops to be successful but you do need something to hit back when opponents get to you.

Teclis is a very powerful wizard, one of the strongest, and the main problem with his strength is that he cant share it, in fact he's the most selfish wizard in the game because he not only has very little synergy with the rest of the army but he also draws away power from everyone else. Against any real magical defence you're gonig to not be able to stop Teclis's magic and chances are you're going to use the BoS dice for him, and you'll use him first to stop a miscast from the level 2s and ruining teclis' chances this magic phase. Now after all teclis' magic is done you've not got 3 lvl 2s which come to 6 powerdice (chances are you'll use the base dice for teclis too) and a bound spell, that isnt too threatening at all and its a lot of points that are gonig to get stopped. I used O&G before as an example so I'll use them again, they can have about 7 dispell dice in 2k points with 2 goblin shamans and 4 scrolls, which pretty much shuts down the magic long enoguh to get everything into combat, now this magic defence is stronger than averge so it might not be the best example, but its still an example from a lower tier book.

The shadow warriors I assume are to march block early, but your eagles are gonig to do that already, and if you want to hunt warmachines they sometimes fail really hardcore, again eagles are better for this of which you already have two, if you had say 3-4 bolt throwers and only 1 eagle or none id say splash out on these guys but at the moment they're filling quite a few points in an already troop depraved list, I would start by dropping them and increasing your PG size accordingly.

The archers are pretty standard and its what I use in all my lists and they've served me well, dont deviate from them ;p

The swordmasters should really be bumped to 7 each strong to make them the best they can be, right now they have quite a bad future against say... a unit of ironguts that didnt get impacts, with 6 you average at 5-5.5 wounds a round, now against ogres you need to kill at least 6 to win, if they get 2 guys to attack back with they're either going to draw or win, if they match you on wounds by luck they'll outnumber and break you for sure, i always add in that 7th for more safety.

Taking this much magic all together is just way too much of a point sink, i would advise either dropping to on level 2 with seer+scroll or a level 1 mage with double scrolls. My prefferance is the latter, because it allows maximum magic output with minimum point risk. With just teclis and a level 1 apprentice you spend just over 600 points and with your current level you spend just over 1000 points in magic, you enarly double your investment but your effectiveness isnt anywhere near doubled. With all the points left over you can make a whole new infantry OR shooting backbone to compliment your magic. With HEs you really need a secondary phase to fall back on when/if your main phase falls down.

Hope all that helps!
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Wicksi

#4 Post by Wicksi »

People dont always agree with my playstyle ;) but if you want teclis and lots of lvl 2s Id go seerstaff Power stone, silver wand power stone power stone and the last one with 1scroll and something else maybe one more.
gcsmith

#5 Post by gcsmith »

Hmm id try it, people think large units overwhelm? use FoP trust me leave it on important units and boom down they go
Atty1988

#6 Post by Atty1988 »

Thanks for some nice replies there guys.

Against the ring of hotek il just have to take my chances but hell im chancing on casting rolls anyway so why not a little more gambling lol iv neva been one for maths hammer and only doing stuff i know will work i like to have fun and if Teclis decides his head will be blown off in turn one then hell its sure gona be fun trying to recover from that lol.

Warphoenix thanks for that, i get where ur coming from with hoarde armies but iv never had a problem with them before as all my armies are generally along these magic heavy, low unit count lines, so i should be fine hopefully.

Flames of phoenix i dont like to be totally honest, it only does damage in each of your magic phases not the opponents aswell and it starts only str3, i guess as a last spell in a phase and leave it for one turn it will be str5 hits beginning of third turn before i cast other spells again so it could work well, il give it a go should i vs any hoardy armies

Thanks for replies again, hope for some more :D
Pash

#7 Post by Pash »

Atty1988 wrote:Thanks for some nice replies there guys.

Against the ring of hotek il just have to take my chances but hell im chancing on casting rolls anyway so why not a little more gambling lol iv neva been one for maths hammer and only doing stuff i know will work i like to have fun and if Teclis decides his head will be blown off in turn one then hell its sure gona be fun trying to recover from that lol.

Warphoenix thanks for that, i get where ur coming from with hoarde armies but iv never had a problem with them before as all my armies are generally along these magic heavy, low unit count lines, so i should be fine hopefully.

Flames of phoenix i dont like to be totally honest, it only does damage in each of your magic phases not the opponents aswell and it starts only str3, i guess as a last spell in a phase and leave it for one turn it will be str5 hits beginning of third turn before i cast other spells again so it could work well, il give it a go should i vs any hoardy armies

Thanks for replies again, hope for some more :D
An effective way of using Flames of the Phoenix IMHO, is to cast it at the end of your magic phase (ideally with Teclis to ensure it gets through), leave it on a unit for your opponents turn (meaning they will have to use their power dice to dispell it and nerf their own magic phase) and if it's still around by your magic turn - let it do a round of damage and cast it again to cause more hits! This will allow you 1xround of S3 hits, 1xmagic phase nerf, 1xround of S4 AND S3 hits. :D
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
Lord Anathir

#8 Post by Lord Anathir »

i think there are quite a few armies that can shoot your all your units capable of holdng mages in a single turn.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
orka

#9 Post by orka »

DE, Dwarfs, wise Empire generals, HE with dedicated shooting.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Pash

#10 Post by Pash »

Really? Not the type of units I would field as Mage bunkers - PG or WL in woods. Ever tried to shoot White Lions in woods with Empire accuracy? You'd be lucky to kill two guys per 10 guns. :lol:
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!