2000 WPS Adepticon DM and AM list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Baerion

2000 WPS Adepticon DM and AM list

#1 Post by Baerion »

Hello Everyone - I am planning on attending Adepticon 2010 and since I didn't quite get my Dwarf army painted to the standard I wanted for Adepticon 2009 I figured I'd try to get my HE army started early. That's where you guys come in.

I am going to begin working on a few things but wanted to get some other opinions before I started getting all my painting done. I'm not going into the tourney hoping to win, but I went 3-1 with my dwarves last year and had a blast! I'm hoping for a similar result, more interested in having fun than anything and although my Dragon Mage will most likely die most matches it should be fun while it lasts! Without further delay:
THIS IS THE EDITED MOST CURRENT LIST (2/9/10):

Archmage - Lvl 4, Seerstaff of Sorcery, Skeinsliver, Dispel Scroll [335]
Dragon Mage - Lvl 2, Silver wand, Ring of Fury [435]
Noble - DA, Barded Steed, Enchanted Shield, Star Lance [157]

High Elf Spearmen (20) Champ, Musician and SB-Lion Standard - [230]
High Elf Archers (10) - [110]

Dragon Princes (5) - Champ, Musician, SB Banner of Sorcery [260]
Champ has Gem of Courage
Lion Chariot - [140]
Shadow Warriors (5) - [80]

Great Eagle - [50]
Repeater Bolt Thrower (2) - [200]

TOTAL - 1,997
WPS = 6.5 ( :( )

I am going to play more defensive with this army and try to magic/march block my army as they attempt to cross the field. With 9-11 power dice 10 archers and 2 RBT's I should have a solid ranged attack force. Which will hopefully get 1st turn with only 7 deployments and the skeinsliver. I will most likely keep the Noble with the Dragon Princes and only use them in combat when necessary, not actively looking to get into combat.
Since the Dragon Mage has no protection I plan on keeping him safe for the first couple turns until I can nullify my opponent's shooting and magic as best I can. Hopefully the DP's and Noble can take out any units housing mages and my RBT's can kill some war machine crew. My archmage will select spells dependent on the army I face, but currently I think High Magic is a good option. I can choose, curse of arrow attraction (assist the BT's), Fury of Khaine (good MM), Flames of the Phoenix (for blocks of infantry and large groups of skirmishers), and Vaul's Unmaking to help against uber characters.
My spears and Lion chariot will hopefully be able to help protect my RBT's. Currently I am planning on housing my Archmage in the Spears unit to protect from Fear and Terror. Against magic hopefully my 5 dispel dice and scroll will be enough to keep the AM safe.
It's definitely not an easy list, but having the Sun Dragon instead of a Star Dragon I had hoped would help my comp scores. However my magic dice total is really killing my WPS score.

Your thoughts are most welcome be they criticism or compliment. I started a painting blog for this army as well leading up to Adepticon next year. See signature.
Last edited by Baerion on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

Re: 2250 Adepticon DM and AM list

#2 Post by Seredain »

Interesting list, dude.... It's so different I don't quite know where to start!

Hmm...

Ok, firstly I'm not sure why you've split your spears into 2 units of 10. If you're going to spend that amount on core, then make them a unit of 20 and give them a standard. The Lion Chariot, if you're gonna use it in conjunction with spears, will do a lot better when it's backed up by ranks and a standard.

I'm also not too sure about your DP unit... Full command on a unit of 5 is a lot of points. Lose the musician and spend the 10pts on your spears' standard. Also, you should be able to get along fine without the amulet of light because you have so many magical attacks coming from your mages (can you even have that and the gem of courage on one character? I think they're both enchanted items so I don't think you can). Lose it and spend the 15 points on something else- perhaps the Banner of Ellyrion or mus + champ for your spears, or a bladelord for your swordmasters?

OR, lose the DP champ altogether (leaving you with 45 points), and spend the 15 as above and the spare 30 on another DP for the unit - 6 DP's inc. standard will get you an extra attack and an extra wound for your unit. If the BsB is with the DP unit then he can always be the one to dish out the magical attacks if you absolutely need them.

The rest of the list is ok I reckon: ranged and mobile and probably a pain in the arse to fight against.

Hope this helps- good luck!
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Keith

#3 Post by Keith »

I agree about the spears... though I would drop the archer unit and beef up the spears.

What unit are you planning on putting your archmage in? A unit of 10 spears????

It seems you are planning on playing a more defensive list anyways... Why the two units of knights?

I would drop BOTH units of knights, get two tiranoc chariots and beef up your swordmasters as well. They can also take the banner of sorcery, and get your bsb off the horse and give him the reaver bow, GW and talisman of loec, put him in one of your 2 spear units or something.

Obviously you like the dragon mage... he isn't awesome, but he is a cool model and a cool thing to have in an army, I am going to assume that you didn't take him for tactical reasons.

You need to decide if you are going forward or hanging back. It is tough to do both, and with a point sink like a dragon mage, i don't think you can do both. I think increasing your infantry units and dropping the cav, adding two tiranoc chariots is a great change and i don't think will be much 'harder' as it were.
Defender of Ulthuan
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#4 Post by Seredain »

I don't know whether the 'go forward or hang back' decision is a black and white one, Keith. This looks like a harrassment/counter-attack list to me, so having one unit that can deliver the killing blow after all the shooting (the DP's) is a good idea. I use DP's for that purpose in my 'defensive' list.

Silver helms make a cheap and resilient warmachine hunter and both cav units, along with the LC, provide alternative targets to enemy shooting, as well as threats to it (that's lots of targets on top of the DM and the repeaters...) I think maybe chucking out all the cavalry would leave the dragon mage feeling a little lonely and increase the size of the bullsye on his head. It would also kinda kill the flavour of the list!

I reckon a unit of 20 spears is a good plan simply because it's never a bad idea to have some ranks in reserve if and when you need them, though I'd stick with just the one.
Last edited by Seredain on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baerion

#5 Post by Baerion »

@Seredain - I have the spears split currently because in a 2250 don't we have to have 3 core units? I was thinking we had to have 1 for 1000 2 for 2000 and 3 for above that. If that is not the case I will definitely beef up the spears unit.

As for the DP's I had originally included the musician more for aesthetic purposes, but the more I think about it you're probably right about having the standard with the spears. That is if I add to them. I wouldn't want a banner with 10 spears as it would more than likely be free points for my opponent. You're also correct about the 2 enchanted items. I'll drop the amulet of light and hope that my magic can deal with the immune to mundane units.

In my original list I had the bladelord and talisman of loec but in order to get the lion chariot in (dropped reavers) I had to drop the bladelord. I added the Lion chariot as it is an awesome model and I have it near completion on the painting front.

Edit - I agree the cavalry were kind of there so the Dragon Mage and Eagle weren't the only things out and about from my Deployment zone. With two units of cavalry and two flyers I can put pressure on my opponent and hopefully have more movement and tactical options than a completely defensive force with a Dragon Mage.

@Keith - I'd like to keep the archers unit, not necessarily from a tactical stand point, but I'd like to paint them up and I think they add to the fluff of the army more. I definitely think I'll try and add some spears however.

As for the AM bunker I was planning on keeping him in a RBT or a unit of spears yes. I realize this makes him susceptible to panic but it was a risk I was going to take. After seeing your ???? I realize this may be a mistake. If I beef the spears up and add command that is likely where he will end up.

I am playing a more defensive oriented list with the shooting and magic, but with a Dragon mage I needed more than just the Great Eagle as ranged and war machine hunters. Thus I was hoping to use the Dragon Princes and Silver helms to move along the flanks and hunt war machines and the like. The DM is worth a lot of points and I need to ensure his safety as best as I can before I bring him out of hiding. :?

I did bring the DM because I really enjoy the model and they're a lot of fun to play. Obviously it is a big point sink and hard to get the points back with, but again looking to have fun while playing and yet still have a chance to win against most lists.

Regarding Cavalry; I love the Dragon Princes and what they bring to the table and I've been wanting to paint mine up for a long time now. The silver helms I could potentially drop and just use the DP's instead though the DP's are a little more expensive and probably a little overkill for what I planned on having them do. Something to consider I guess.

@ BOTH - Thanks so much for the comments and I will see what kind of changes I want to make. I have plenty of time =).

For anyone else please continue to comment if you have things to add.
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#6 Post by Seredain »

Actually Baerion Keith makes a good point about pondering on what kind of list this is... Seeing that your unit choices seem to be all about manourveing, delaying, well-timed charges etc, do you really need a BsB at all? Seems to me that another unit of dragon princes either 5 blank or with a standard + banner of ellyrion would really add something to this list. You're kinda short on troops and it's not like you desperately need any ranked infantry to hold - you hardly have any!

You only need to take 2 core unit choices at 2250 - it goes up to 3 at 3000 points. If you take a unit of 20 spears then definitely give them a standard bearer. That unit will be all about the static combat res and that's waht standards are for. Unless I'm really pushed for points I'd give them a musician as well. In any event a unit of 20 is a much safer bunker for your archmage.

EDIT: I did some quick maths, B. If you lose the Battle Standard Bearer and the Silver Helms then you have 297 points left to spend. That's only 3 away from 2 vanilla units of 5 dragon princes. So, your list would look something like:

Archmage- Seerstaff, Forlaith's Robe, Dispel Scroll
Dragonmage- Ring of Fury, Silver Wand

10 Archers
20 Spears- Standard, Musician

6 Dragon Princes inc. Standard - Banner of Sorcery
5 Dragon Princes
5 Dragon Princes
1 Lion Chariot
7 Swordmasters

3 Repeater Bolt Throwers
1 Great Eagle

I think you can squeaze that in on the points. How's that for a caledorian dragonmage hard-hitting harrasment list? :wink:

EDIT x 2 - The above comes to 2240 points exactly. Maybe shove a gem of courage on your archmage or give the spears a champ. And don't think it's cheesy to take 3 units of DP's- if you've taken a dragonmage then it's ok!

Baerion

#7 Post by Baerion »

Looks fantastic =D>

Unfortunately though I only have 10 dp's. Though with so much time I suppose it is an option to buy more. I think I'll end up doing something similar to what you have proposed below except exchange one unit of 5 DP's for a unit of 5 SH's. I've added the Lion Standard to my block of spears as well with 20 points left over. Would it be worth it to add a champion to the spears? I wish I could add a bladelord and talisman of loec but unfortunately that's 22 pts.

This list is starting to shape right up!
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#8 Post by Seredain »

OK so Helms are in... I've found the points for your bladelord but I've also changed the archmage. It occurred to me that your force didn't really have enough magic defence so I lost the robe and added another dispel scroll. I also thought a powerstone on the AM might add a bit more oomph and it looked like the list was all about power at range. A 3rd scroll is a valid choice, though, so grab another if you want. Either way I think you need at least 2 scrolls at 2250 and your DM isn't carrying any (he's cool with the ring and wand).

Don't worry about losing forlaith's robe, though. Your AM should be safely bunkered in the spears. If the enemy get too close just move him into the repeaters, woods etc. To give him a bit of extra safety I'd think about giving the spears the Banner of Arcane Protection. Since they're on gurard duty with the mage and repeaters I didn't think they were essential enough to your offence to warrant the Lion Banner, though it remains a popular 'all comers' choice and may be useful if you send them forward as a reserve. That's your call, really. Anyway, here's modification mark II:

Archmage- Seerstaff, Power Stone, Dispel Scroll x 2 - 350
Dragonmage- Ring of Fury, Silver Wand - 435

10 Archers - 110
20 Spears- Standard, Musician, Banner of Arcane Protection - 220

6 Dragon Princes inc. Standard - Banner of Sorcery - 250
5 Dragon Princes - 150
5 Silver Helms inc shields- 115
1 Lion Chariot - 140
7 Swordmasters inc. Bladelord, Talisman of Loec - 127

3 Repeater Bolt Throwers - 300
1 Great Eagle - 50

Total 2247 points
PD - 9-11 + Power Stone
DD - 5 + 2 Dispel Scrolls

Any good?

geoguswrek

#9 Post by geoguswrek »

I think you are best off not taking the SH, and instead using the points to bump the SM up to 14 and giving them the standard of balance. This unit is one of the staples of my AM/DM list (and most of my lists. The main advantage of this is that it gives your dm a safe place to go: you put it right behind the SM, and nothing can charge him, they have to charge the SM, which is generally a bad idea (especially with thhe most horrible talisman).

Other than this the list looks ok.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Baerion

#10 Post by Baerion »

@Geoguswrek - I never thought of hiding the AM behind the Sword Masters. What do you do with the AM when your opponent has high ground and can see the AM behind the SM's? Do you then put the AM in the unit?
geoguswrek

#11 Post by geoguswrek »

Baerion: i was talking about using the DM behind the SM. THe DM can then be within charge range, and able to see and shoot things, but unable to be charged, since they can't get through the SM.
If the enemy has high ground, i hide my wizards away from the hill, and throw dragon princes at whatever is on it, to get rid of it. on a decent table,t here is always somewhere to hide.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Baerion

#12 Post by Baerion »

Oh ya sorry, I read it wrong. Things could still shoot at it I guess, but otherwise ya they'd have to get through 14-15 ASF str 5 attacks. Would have to be a pretty mean unit to get through that. I'll keep that in mind.

I've gotten a lot of good suggestions and tips and I'll see if I can't put a final list together soon to start play testing. I'm sure once I start playing with it I'll end up making some changes as well.
Baerion

#13 Post by Baerion »

Here is the list I'll be trying out this weekend for a test run against the Lizzies.

Archmage- Seerstaff, Power Stone, Dispel Scroll x 2 - 350
Dragonmage- Ring of Fury, Silver Wand - 435
Noble- DA, Barded Steed, Enchanted Shield, Star Lance - 157

10 Archers - 110
20 Spears- Standard, Lion Standard - 215

6 Dragon Princes inc. Standard - Banner of Sorcery - 250
5 Silver Helms inc shields- 115
1 Lion Chariot - 140
7 Swordmasters inc. Bladelord, Talisman of Loec - 127

3 Repeater Bolt Throwers - 300
1 Great Eagle - 50

PD: 8+(D3)+1-3 for Dragon Mage + Power stone
DD: 5 +2 scrolls

So I decided to leave the noble in the army. This is for a couple reasons. The first being I think this will add a ton of punch to the unit of Dragon Princes and give me another option to take out small skirmishers or flyers with a noble charge out of the unit. The second reason is this is another one of my favorite models from GW (the noble on foot and on horse kit) and I plan on buying it and getting it painted for the tourney. I dropped his banner as you're right I shouldn't be taking too many break tests and the DP's and his Star lance should hopefully do enough CR.

I went back and forth on the extra 7 swordmasters but in the end I still wanted the silver helms as another threat to war machines and gunlines. I think I will need their speed if I am going to bring the DM out from hiding early against shooty armies. Plus the silver helm models are still pretty well done and should be fun to get 5 of them painted up.

With that said we'll see how I do this weekend. My friend's list is going to include two stegadons including EotG and an oldblood on carnosaur. He usually brings 3 units of skirmishing skinks too so it will be imperative to wipe them out before they can send a ton of little blowpipe darts at my Dragon mage.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#14 Post by Seredain »

Baerion wrote:He usually brings 3 units of skirmishing skinks too so it will be imperative to wipe them out before they can send a ton of little blowpipe darts at my Dragon mage.
That's where the extra unit of dragon princes come in handy. :wink:

BUT, having said that, you have the perfect skink priest-slaying tool in your Star Lance Noble. Suicide charge the ancient steg, take down the priest and the engine goes with him. I'd be very tempted to shift the talisman of loec onto this guy to make sure he gets the job done, but without it he's still likely to get the kill and will probably outrun the steg (when it auto breaks him) to live another day. Just pray he hits with his 3 attacks...

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Baerion

#15 Post by Baerion »

If I charge the Ancient Stegadon with my Noble can I challenge the priest on top? Thus avoiding any retaliation from the Ancient Stegadon or the rest of the skinks?

I would assume he would have to accept the challenge but does it count as a mount? In challenges mounts are allowed to fight, but does this include the stegadon?
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#16 Post by Seredain »

Honestly I'm not 100% sure now that you mention it, but I think challenges and stegs work like they do with chariots, in that you fight the character and the character alone.

I could be way wrong (my friend who plays lizards is still assembling his Engine Steg so I haven't faced one yet), in which case simply choose to allocate all your attacks on the priest (you most certainly can, and should, do that), and if you lose your noble then who cares because you've broken the b*stard engine.

Anyone care to clarify on the 'challenging' point?

P.S. Baerion- if you think you can finish an already wounded steg off with your noble then by all means do that! If the beast has all its wounds intact, however, then just take the priest down and consider your noble worth the sacrifice. In either case I'd recommend the talisman of loec: that noble needs to make sure he gets the job done!
Last edited by Seredain on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baerion

#17 Post by Baerion »

Perhaps I'll post the question on the rules or tactics forum.

EDIT: Posted in Rules forum and the answer is that the Stegadon does indeed get to attack in challenges as it is considered a ridden mount. Also mentioned in the same rules forum that the steeds of a chariot also get to attack in a challenge. http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27152
Last edited by Baerion on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolt Thrower

#18 Post by Bolt Thrower »

This is a great thread, guys.

Maybe consider 2 power stones on the DM. I find that this is helpful when using the DM in conjunction with the AM as it can preserve the pool for the AM alone allowing him to really get off those nasty more expensive spells, but also allowing the DM to have a resource should you roll conflagration or wall of fire for him. Potentially that threat could be greater than the ring of fury as well as a nice change from the expected. To me this makes even more sense if you hold the DM back a bit while taking care of ranged attacks. Then the few turns he hits the field he can be releasing some of the heavier fire magic.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
madelmo

#19 Post by madelmo »

Good call BT. I actually like 2x power stones better for the reasons you listed.

in addition, if your DM happens to die on the 3rd or 4th turn, you lose your ring all together. if you expend the power stones in the first turns, you know you at least got the most out of your magic items before you died. (and it's not hard to die)
Baerion

#20 Post by Baerion »

Good points all and something to think about. I like the idea of having more resources for my Archmage as he will have the seerstaff and will more than likely have 3 good spells to choose from. I've not used power stones very often, but power stones in conjunction with reckless sounds like it could be pretty powerful. Of course this increases his risk to blow himself up, but he wouldn't be a Dragon Mage if there wasn't some risk involved. :twisted:

The game against the Lizards got bumped to tonight as my opponent is travelling this weekend now. I'll get the results up as soon as I can here and then maybe a battle report in a separate topic.
Baerion

#21 Post by Baerion »

I ended up sticking with the ring of fury on the Dragon Mage and went up against the following Lizzie list last Thursday (sorry it's taken so long to post).

Old Blood - Carnosaur, Scimitar, Enchanted Shield, Glyph Necklace, Light Armor
Scar Vet - Cold One, Bane Head, Pirahna Blade, Light Armor
Skink Priest - EotG, Scroll, Diadem, Second Level
Skink Pirest - Scroll x2
2 x 10 Skink Skirmishers
1 x 11 Skink Skirmishers
4 Kroxigor
3 Teradons
1 Stegadon
2 Salamanders with 2 Extra Handlers
2 Salamanders with 2 Extra Handlers

The result I am sad to say was a defeat for the High Elves. I was out deployed first off though I really had no chance as Terrain was blocking LOS from multiple areas of the battlefield and his Stegadons and Carnosaur went down last. Then after he got first turn I spent my time trying to avoid the inevitable crunch that the oldblood and stegadons were sure to punish me with.

Some noteable mistakes. He moved his oldblood on carnosaur up with the stegadons in the first turn and hid behind a hill. I moved my DP's including the suicide noble up a few inches to have charge range while not allowing him to get the charge (14"). In my turn 2 I charged with the DP's and the Noble when I should have just charged the noble. He challenged and the Noble wiffed with all three attacks and only landed two with the Talisman of loec re-roll. In the end both of those wounds got through, but the noble died and he passed his -1 break test. Then in the following round my DP's couldn't touch his 1+ armor save 5+ ward and were decimated. I should have charged the noble only and moved the DP's to a position to avoid a charge again shoudl the noble lose.

Not a mistake, but in the first turn my Silver Helms charged and overran a unit of skinks. However he positioned them so I overran wide of his salamanders and in the following turn he killed one with the fire and I failed my panic test and fled off the board. There goes my right flank.

Another noteable was my Lion chariot with the option to charge 3 different things. Either stegadon, or salamanders after he moved up on top of the hill. Instead though he flew his terradons over the Lion Chariot dropped rocks and poof goes the chariot after incredible rolls. He did 6 hits which is average for 3d3 but then on a Str 4 vs T 4 he rolled all 6 wounds! I didn't save a single one on 5+ and there goes the only other protection I had from combat.

I did manage to get his Scar Vet and Kroxigors to charge the Swordmasters after my Archers fled, I killed 2 krox and did 2 wounds to another, but it wasn't enough as 5 swordmasters were cut down.

I was happy however when my rbt turned and shot through both the remaining kroxigor and the scar veteran but it was of little help.

The game ended with me having my Dragon Mage with 1 wound left, Sun dragon with all of its wounds and my great eagle.

Overall I enjoyed the magic phase immensely and think I could have beaten that list if I would have had either the first turn or better terrain (we randomize 4 pieces by 3d6 and scatter dice). I'm not giving up on this list yet but realize I have to play really well in order to win.
Bolt Thrower

#22 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Baerion wrote:The game ended with me having my Dragon Mage with 1 wound left, Sun dragon with all of its wounds and my great eagle.
DM still alive at the end of the game is a victory in itself!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Baerion

#23 Post by Baerion »

:lol: HAHA Yes indeed. I burned through his skinks pretty early on and his salamanders had no luck with shooting. His Magic was shut down all day other than an IF comet that took out 4 spears. Hence the living breathing Reckless mage. Only wound I took was a miscast.
Baerion

#24 Post by Baerion »

Alright I've got a battle staged versus our arch-nemesis the Druchii this weekend. My question to you guys is what lore/spells should I take with the Archmage? My guess is he will be bringing Ring of Hotek, Black Guard, Cold One Knights, Dark Riders and a hydra with 2 RBT's. He has brought a manticore against me once but never a dragon. Would metal be a good choice? High Magic for curse of arrow attraction and flames of the phoenix on his infantry? Though he is likely to have the ring of hotek on his black guard. Lore of beasts for hunter's spear and beast cowers?

Any ideas or thoughts would be most welcome.
Stormie

#25 Post by Stormie »

Take a look at my thread using a similar army to yours, I did very well vs similar sounding Dark Elves using the Lore of Shadows. Generally point the DM at weak support stuff that's out of range of Hotek, then use Unseen Lurker to either fly him away from danger or into other weak enemy units.

Too many people in this game just see magic as a dakka dakka kinda thing- sometimes you need more finesse than simply dealing damage. Lore of Shadows can do this for you.
Baerion

#26 Post by Baerion »

Just got done reading your army list and result against the Dark Elves. Nice work. I had considered lore of shadow against the lizzies I faced, but decided against it considering the two stegadons and oldblood on carnosaur.

How does pit of shades work on models that are too big for the circle to encompass. For example on a high elf dragon base would it only hit the model on a 4+?
Stormie

#27 Post by Stormie »

Yeah sadly only 4+. And it gets real confusing when you cast it on things like Stegadons...
Baerion

#28 Post by Baerion »

Well I faced off against the Druchii yesterday and this game was...a little interesting. My friend's list:

Supreme Sorceress: Focus Familiar, Dispel Scroll and Half BS item when shooting
Sorceress: Extra Power Dice, Dispel Scroll
Sorceress: Extra Spell, Dispel Scroll
Shadowblade (Hidden in my Spearmen Unit)
2x10 RXB
20 Spears with full command (Assassin)
5 Furies
Hydra
2 RBT
Shades (Including Assassin)
Shades Assassin had rending stars and a bound spell to fly
Spearmen Assassin I didn’t find out but he had an RXB

I rolled Conflagration, Fireball and Flaming Sword with my Dragon Mage and picked Curse, Fury, Flames and Vaul's for my spells. I decided against shadow as I didn't feel like I knew it well enough to use it well and so I went to the tried and true. My opponent rolled Soul Stealer, Black Horror, Bladewind and Chillwind with his lvl 4. The other two sorceress' did not cast a single spell and so I don't remember what they had (I'll get into this in a minute).

So we rolled terrain and there was a hill in each deployment zone, one was in the corner and there were two trees surrounding the corner hill. My opponent got to choose his side and though I thought he would for sure pick the unblocked hill he picked the one surrounded by trees. He then proceeded to castle on and around the hill. However it was blocked by two things of trees so his RXB's and RBT's were rendered useless by any commander who was smart enough to avoid the bottleneck. Here are pictures of Deployment with the left pink slab(sorry bad terrain) being trees and the other smaller pink slab being a hill.

The rest of the battle was really just a few bad rolls by my opponent that swung the tide.
As you can see from the picture he just castled. He didn't move any of those units from that area until turn 6 to contest a table quarter...
The just of what happend was we had a magic battle until the third turn when I got Vaul's off and destroyed his familiar then flames 4 out of 5 shades with one wound on the supreme. It was this turn too that he revealed Shadowblade in my unit of spearmen. I challenged with my spear champion who got destroyed and I lost combat by 2. Unfortunately on the next combat phase in his turn he failed to kill the archmage. He rolled his 4 attacks and missed, re-rolled and missed. Then he rolled a 2, 4 and 5 to wound resulting in no killing blow and only 2 wounds. I ended up winning the combat by 2 and he broke. Malekith would not be happy if Shadowblade, the master assassin made it out of this battle alive...

In my turn I attempted to charge him over with my eagle but he escaped barely only to be crisped by the dragon mage. Flames saw another wound on the supreme and another shade go down. He revealed another assassin and moved within an inch of my Dragon Mage and tried to use a bound cloak to charge the dragon but I still had dispel dice left so it was dispelled. This assassin was then burnt to a crisp as well as the last wound on the supreme going down to another successful flames. The end of the game saw only 2 High Elves dead, both spearmen.

Despite the fact that his army never moved and I never went after it I still massed 1111 victory points and won with a Solid Victory. I still can't believe even after Shadowblade and the Supreme went down he didn't move out of his Castle. Taking out the Familiar forced his mage to the front of the trees and thus got her Phoenix Flamed 3 separate times for the kill. Magic was very strong in this game though it could have ended in a draw still had his assassin been able to defeat my archmage and had he not rolled a 1 on a D3 roll to kill the Dragon Mage with a bolt (this was almost a grave mistake as I left the back end of the dragon mage within sight of the RBT on the hill). Also the assassin that tried to use the cloak rolled three attacks with rending stars at the Dragon Mage needing 2+ to hit. Result: 3 1's :lol: THis would have potentially ended the dragon mage's day.

After my 2nd game with this army I'm feeling a little more comfortable with it though the battle was not like anything I've ever experienced. I play dwarves too and I've never even done anything like that. Had this not been a friend of mine I probably would have called it a draw and packed up my stuff.
Shandiar

#29 Post by Shandiar »

Nice battle report but your opponent could do better IMO
High Priest of ASS
Baerion

#30 Post by Baerion »

Thanks, and yes he could have done a lot better. I was able to basically play my entire army versus his shades, supreme and shadowblade. I kept waiting for him to come out of his forest cave but he never did. I think he was being stubborn towards the end though after failing on a couple of those rolls.