Single Archmage with PG, WL & SM: 2000 pts

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

AJ21st

Single Archmage with PG, WL & SM: 2000 pts

#1 Post by AJ21st »

Archmage: Lvl 4, Seerstaff of Saphery, Ring of Fury, Dispel Scroll

10 Archers
20 Spear Elves: Standard, Champion

15 Phoenix Guards: Full command, Banner of Sorcery
12 White Lions: Lion Banner, Champion
12 Sword Masters

5 Dragon Princes
1 Lion Chariot
1 Tiranoc Chariot

Great Eagle
RBT
RBT

84 models, 6-9 PD, 4 DD

I took it to local store tournament and managed 2 wins: vs Beast Men (mobile army, 3 chariots, 2 Minotaurs unit, led by Doom Bull) and Lizard Men (Slann and 2 Stegadons) and 1 draw: vs Dwarfs (with a parade of 5 war machines). The armies that I faced were moderate, not WAAC armies although that kind of army was allowed.

The classic Archmage setup + Banner of Sorcery is still viable. He managed to cast some spells through the defence of the Dwarfs which had 5 DD and 2 scrolls. He could withstand the Slann's spell.

The Phoenix Guards were amazing. It's the first time I used them. They could take damages from multiple Dwarfs' Stone Thrower shots and 5-6 of them still remained. Impact hits from a Stegadon killed only 2 of them (but they broke and luckily they out ran the Stegadon which surprisingly has only 2D6 pursue move). They took Salamander's breath and shrugged it like it was nothing for they also have excellent Ld. They are a very durable defensive unit that suits my play style.

The White Lions were a bit too few, 14 would be ideal. Once, they were wiped out by a unit of Minotaurs with Doom Bull + Chariot.

The 12 Sword Masters were not attracting attention too much but they were useful. They made a block of Saurus Warriors with banner withdrew and a unit of 5-6 Iron Breakers + Thane + Rune Smith held their charge. 10 Sword Masters would also be decent.

I find the 4 infantry units were reliable and could work very well. Once, I lost the White Lions unit and Spear Elves unit vs the Beast Men but thanks to the PG and SM my army could still hold the line and fight.

The DP, Lion Chariot and Tiranoc Chariot are to support the infantries. They could thwart other chariots and heavy cavalries (not the uber ones) away.

RBTs and Great Eagle were amazing, as always.

The comments that I got from my opponents were that my army has many units that are troublesome to handle and to wipe out all.

In summary, I'm very happy with this army, especially with the elite infantries.

Thanks for reading. Any comment is welcome.
[i]"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender[/i]
Marinero

Re: Single Archmage with PG, WL & SM: 2000 pts

#2 Post by Marinero »

A single archmage is an excellent choice for non WAAC environments, though I prefer to give him a different set up - silverwand, ring of fury, 2xdispel scroll, for extra protection.

Otherwise, the army is quite good.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

I think your units are a bit small. I'd drop a chariot to make them a bit bigger.

Also it's a shame you can't fit a BSB in.
AJ21st

#4 Post by AJ21st »

About the units, 14 White Lions and 10 Sword Masters could be decent.

I find 3 cavalries are required to better support an army because most armies have 2-3 heavy cavalries or chariots. The Lion Chariot could be replaced by another Tiranoc Chariot and the points could be used to buff the elite infantries.

I couldn't fit a BSB in. I'd prefer 10 or 12 Sword Masters over a BSB. We're always outnumbered so I'd prefer 10 or 12 Sword Masters because they could handle one enemy unit on their own while one BSB couldn't.
[i]"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender[/i]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I guess you could make 10SM work but I'd rather go with 7 or 14 myself.

I've only played a 3-cav list once and it felt like a total luxury! It was nice but I feel like most lists could get by on 2. Of course it depends on the kind of list you've put together overall.

I think any substantial infantry benefits from a BSB. You've got the Archmage's Ld9 I guess. What worries me is when your elites run into opposition that is better than they are.