(very) small warband mostly lost

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

wynforth

(very) small warband mostly lost

#1 Post by wynforth »

So the group of people i ussually play with are getting some more people interested and we decided to do a small warband campaign. We are starting at 200 pts and going up from there. Mostly using the warband rules with only minor updates the rules are:

2 core units (i'm going to petition for an exception for the HE)
1 special
no unit upgrades until you meet the normal minimum for the unit
us1 - 3min
us2 - 2min
us3+ - 1min
general can be a unit champion

None of us have experience at point levels this small so i really have no idea what is going to work well. I'd like to go with something chracian since i fear shooting is going to be pretty big, and the white lions stand up pretty well against that while still packing some punch.

list idea 1:
Core:
4x archers - 44pts
4x archers - 44pts
6x whitelions + guardian - 102
total 190

this give me 10 points which has some wiggle room.possiblities:
talisman of protection for the guardian since he'll be my general
GoC generally what i take in the white lions
ToL - could be really helpful in taking out enemy generals he only has 2 attacks though
could grab a musician.

i could also swap the white lions into sword masters in which case the ToL looks (more)tempting, but they'll get shot up more.

List Idea 2:
5x spearman - 45
4x sea guard w/ shield - 52
6x(WL/SM/PG)+champion - 102

this one gives a little more bite in melee if the spearman can hold on to US5 they can help get a flank bonus. the seaguard would allow shooting when needed but still being decent in combat. i could also drop a whatever so i would have 3 units of 5 each instead of 4,5,6.

list 3:
10x spearman
10x spearman, sentinal, banner?

does anyone have experience at this low level with what works well? would 2 spear blocks be enough? i could then fit a noble in, but i don't know if he is worth the cost at this level.
Aethyr

Re: (very) small warband mostly lost

#2 Post by Aethyr »

Im thinking List 2 sounds best all round. You have some shooting to maybe inflict a couple of casualties before the fight in joined, and then most likely enough killing power to finish off. I suppose it might depend who you are fighting against and on what terms.

I'm actually starting to favor my Lions a bit more over my swordmasters, as I have found them to be quite killy and even more important, enough usually survive to the front to begin with.

I am keen to hear how this goes for you, sounds interesting, though with so few units I can imagine the battles to be rather static.
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
Chracian

#3 Post by Chracian »

One thing to be careful of here is if the league is going to be an escalation league i.e., do you keep the same troops from game to game and add more on. If this is the case, you need to make sure that any troops that you pick now will be useful later on.

A noble can be added later when he isn't such a large proportion of the points available.

At low points level, shooting can dominate the game, so you would probably want either (a) some shooting yourself, or (b) something that can survive shooting. Noticing the restriction on rare choices (i.e. none), and the core requirements means either LSGs or archers. As LSGs, though expensive, can perform more than one role, I would go for them. Don't forget the light armour, HW+S armour save of 4+ for CC.

White lions perform admirably well at this level and are my preferred choice: better AS against shooting, good CC and excellent movement. A champion would serve well as your general until you want to put in a noble.

When you do put a noble into your warband, the first thing to equip him with is the reaver bow. But that's for later.

For now, I would go with list 2, using WL.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
PapaElf

#4 Post by PapaElf »

Warband Escalation and Warband Campaigns are two completely DIFFERENT games. Campaign rules start on page 13 of the following PDF
http://www.warfan.net/Warbands.pdf The warband campaign is an extremely tactical game, not only must one keep the same troops from game to game, one only gets to keep the survivors from the last battle.

Anyway check out the rules, determine, IF one is "Really" playing a Warband Campaign, If so, check back and I'll give opinion on prototype selection, character verses unit champion as general, how to win if you lose the first game, veteran status, underdog bonus, warband size and rating, etc.
PapaElf
Chracian

#5 Post by Chracian »

IF one is "Really" playing a Warband Campaign, If so, check back and I'll give opinion on prototype selection, character verses unit champion as general, how to win if you lose the first game, veteran status, underdog bonus, warband size and rating, etc.
I would pay close attention to this. PapaElf is a veritable fount of knowledge regarding this type of thing.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett