Super Competitive HE UKGT List(s)

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

dante

Super Competitive HE UKGT List(s)

#1 Post by dante »

After comments from these forums and from duchii.net, aswell as me personaly rethinking some bits here is what i have.

Prince
Star Dragon
Lance
Amulet of light
Vambraces of defence
Armour of Caledor

Noble
Standard Bearer
Battle Banner
Barded Steed
Dragon Armor
Shield
Lance

Mage
2 Scrolls

10 Archers

10 Archers

7 Dragon Princes
Champion, Standard
Lion Standard
Helm of Fortune

5 Dragon Princes
Musician

5 Dragon Princes

Tiranoc Chariot

2 Eagles

Had a spare 10 points so i gave a unit of DPs a musician. The reason im still sticking with that big unit of upgraded DPs is because i just feel that if i take them down to five firstly they are going to be targetted by lost of stuff as they contain a battle banner, secondly i want a champion in there to accept challenges, thirdly the extra few points of combat ress i get may be crutial when fighting demons and undead, of whihc there will be many at GT.

I would actually not be surprised if nearly half the amries at heats were demons and vamps.
Last edited by dante on Thu May 14, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All these new bands are just ripping off the bay city rollers
dabber
Tactician

Re: Super Competitive HE UKGT List(s)

#2 Post by dabber »

The third list just isn't that good.

The first list needs a BSB more than it needs some of those special choices.

The second list needs more diversionary and sacrifical stuff to keep the enemy away from Teclis.

Remember to check the UK GT scenarios. If they are using the same ones as last year, normal concepts are really messed up and High Elves and largely screwed by one of them.
Shandiar

#3 Post by Shandiar »

You don't have many infight troops with full command, your units could be bogged down by 25 zombies/clanrats etc. I think list 2 would manage well, but the white lions could use upgrades or use some more march blockers/interruptors instead. White lions can work as speed bumps too though.
High Priest of ASS
dante

#4 Post by dante »

dabber wrote:.
Remember to check the UK GT scenarios. If they are using the same ones as last year, normal concepts are really messed up and High Elves and largely screwed by one of them.
I last attended UKGT 2 Years ago. Since then scenario have been introduced? Can a PDF file of last years fantasy player pack be found online so i can have a look at the scenarios and any other changes?

Hmm these lists seems to be giving the community, as much as myself, a headache. So far over on Druchii.net ive had 2 votes for list 3 and was advised to drop a unit of princes for another lion chariot.

Here i have gotten what seems to be a critisim of all three lists and a vote for list 2. Dabber you have any additions that could be made? Im curious how a BSB would change things in my first list. How would he be geared and what would u remove for him?

@Shandiar; Again what would u remove for the upgrde to the white lions? The point of them in that list isnt for static combat ress, they are there to be stubborn and just beat on things. Although i do agree with being "bogged" down, but i think save geting large units myslef there is no other way to prevent that.

Would also like ot here more from you guys here at Ulthuan.net, im sure there are highly competitive players amoung you that could give me just the advise i need.

Thanks
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#5 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

dante wrote:
dabber wrote:.
I last attended UKGT 2 Years ago. Since then scenario have been introduced? Can a PDF file of last years fantasy player pack be found online so i can have a look at the scenarios and any other changes?
Two of the three require you to take and hold either objectives or Table quarters. The other one needs you to kill stuff.

They sucked last year, so I'm hoping they drop them - we got one 'kill them all', which was the best game of the weekend...

Other than that - list 1 or 2...
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Shandiar

#6 Post by Shandiar »

Some WL and PG, these guys in 7 wide formation can still beat the crap out of most units. Still to exchange a unit of DP for a chariot is a good idea, though it's pretty much a Scud missile, but it can work
High Priest of ASS
dabber
Tactician

#7 Post by dabber »

dante wrote:Im curious how a BSB would change things in my first list. How would he be geared and what would u remove for him?
He takes the "banner of win". With the Battle Banner, he can break some units on his own or enhance a dragon prince unit to break anything. Works every round against VC and Daemons so they might begin to care eventually.

White Lions without fear protection likely won't be worth having in the UK GT. The vast majority of armies will be the last 5 books, which means massive fear. It wouldn't surprise me if they were 80%. VC and Daemons all cause fear. WoC is built around fear causing Chaos Knights and Lizardmen around Terror causing Stegadons. The only Dark Elf units that won't cause fear will be Black Guard (who will drop white lions in two rounds at most), harpies, or shooting units.
grantmepower

#8 Post by grantmepower »

The Battle Banner is what I consider the meanest item in the whole high elf book. Almost any list that goes to a GT without it is handicapping itself. Seriously, +D6 combat resolution is hard to beat. Plus you get to re-roll break checks. And you get a noble with a few extra attacks. It's wonderful.
~Grant
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
dante

#9 Post by dante »

How would u guys adapt the first list to inclde one? Its a large points amount of point to jig around.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Drop a DP unit and maybe the Lion Chariot. Another RBT may be more useful. You could put the BSB in a large DP unit.
dabber
Tactician

#11 Post by dabber »

dante wrote:So far over on Druchii.net ive had 2 votes for list 3 and was advised to drop a unit of princes for another lion chariot.
The problem with the 3rd list is the lord. There are lots of things out there that High Elf units, except RBTs, cannot hurt. The Lord slot, be it Teclis or Star Dragon, is required at a GW GT level of competition.
dante

#12 Post by dante »

Ok we have an updated list, before i start things i think are wrong/will be critisised are;

8 Dragon princes in one unit. I think im being over cautious and there are 3 in that unit designed to be expendible without the unit losing combat prowess.

Spearmen; archers or lothern sea guard are just better.

I am also unsure of the last three choices, those being reavers and the two chariots. Anyway here is the list;

Prince
Star Dragon
Lance
Vambraces of Defence
Armur of Caledor
Amulet of Light

Noble
Standard
Battle Banner
Barded Steed
Dragon Armour
Shield
Lance

Mage
2 Scrolls

10 Spearmen

10 Lothern Sea Guard

5 Dragon Princes

8 Dragon Princes
Champion, Standard bearer
Lion standard
Helm of Fortune

Ellyrion Reavers
Bows

Tiranoc Chariot

Lion Chariot

Basically this list has two hard hitters. The unit of dragon princes with Army standard bearer and the dragon. Anything that can survive a charge from either one of these can be combo charged. I really dont think there is much that can stand up to the dragon prince unit even if the charge is in the front, and a dragon speaks for itself. And onlt the most elite uber units with chars will stand up to both.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

I'd be tempted to put an extra Dragon Prince in the big unit to give yourself a rank bonus.

Lacking magic, I think you will miss the bolt shooters.
dante

#14 Post by dante »

First post has been updated with a newer list taking others thoughts into consideration.
dabber
Tactician

#15 Post by dabber »

SpellArcher wrote:I'd be tempted to put an extra Dragon Prince in the big unit to give yourself a rank bonus.
From previous discussions, even if you get them that big, you run them 7 wide or more. The extra guys are just wounds against shooting.
Keith

#16 Post by Keith »

dabber wrote:
SpellArcher wrote:I'd be tempted to put an extra Dragon Prince in the big unit to give yourself a rank bonus.
From previous discussions, even if you get them that big, you run them 7 wide or more. The extra guys are just wounds against shooting.
Which is certainly something that should be done!
Defender of Ulthuan
dante

#17 Post by dante »

You guys think the large unit should be 7 wide? Why, surely 6 is the most your ever gnna get in contact anyway?

I would never have any intention to give dps a rank, it is sumthing that seems entirely pointless to me. As if my opponent hasnt killed one of the DPs from my main shock unit, then im probably gonna win anyway, aside from +1 due to rank or not.

Aside from deployment do u guys have any othe ideas about the list?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#18 Post by SpellArcher »

+1 CR could tip a combat but I take the point that it's more important to get extra attacks in.