2250 army list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

soulweaver

2250 army list

#1 Post by soulweaver »

heres my list i was going to use in a tourny but i ended up going away for the weekend

archmage
lvl 4
talisman of saphery
jewel of the dusk
folariaths robes

noble
dragon armour
the white sword
enchanted shield

dragon mage
lvl 2
guardian pheonix
gem of sunfire

15 spearelves
full command
lion standard

10 archers

19 pheonix guard
full command
banner of sorcery

9 swordmasters
full command
standard of balance

lion chariot

2x RBT

2xeagle

the archmage goes with the pheonix guard and the noble with the swordies.
the pheonix guard and the swordies would support each other and the lion chariot would support the spears.
the archers would stay with the bolt throwers.
[i]Of creations most foul I beheld the Lord of All and knew that I was dead.[/i] [i][size=75]~ Inquisitor Brand[/size][/i]
[i]I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived. [size=75]~ Willa Cather [/size][/i]
[i]Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. [size=75]~ Steven Wright[/size][/i]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2250 army list

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks pretty sound, here are the tweaks I'd do.

Firstly the magic, offensively this is great. Defensively you have five dispel dice. I think you have enough power dice without the Jewel on the Archmage so I'd drop this for a dispel scroll. You never know when you'll be Gatewayed. The Gem of Sunfire looks good and is nice and fluffy but most people take the Silver Wand to get another spell and make maximum use of the Reckless ability. I'd also consider swapping the Guardian Phoenix for the Golden Crown.

There's a strong tactical argument for swapping the Enchanted Shield for the Talisman of Loec. I wouldn't do it myself but it can be very effective.

The Phoenix Guard and Archers look great. The Spears are a bit under-strength though. I'd bump them up to 20 somehow. Either that or drop to 10, possibly of archers or LSG instead. The Swordmasters fall between two stools. I'd either field a naked unit of seven or up them to 14. I'd be trying to get some Dragon Princes into the list but that might mean taking two infantry blocks rather than three.

There's also a strong argument for making your Noble a BSB. It could pay to drop the White Sword for defensive magic items and a great weapon in that case.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#3 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

soulweaver wrote: archmage
lvl 4
talisman of saphery
jewel of the dusk
folariaths robes

If you're doing the Archmage, do it properly. He dosen't need this much protection, and should be taking items to maximise his magic ability - Seer Staff (Silver wand is better on the DM), Ring of Fury and a couple of dispel scrolls

noble
dragon armour
the white sword
enchanted shield

Can't take the enchanted shield as the WS is two-handed. Mask of Merlord is good.

dragon mage
lvl 2
guardian pheonix
gem of sunfire

Too obvious. Lose the gem, it achieves nothing really. Give him the silver wand, as it gives him so many dice.

15 spearelves
full command
lion standard

Need to be bigger - at least 20

10 archers

Sure

19 pheonix guard
full command
banner of sorcery

Good

9 swordmasters
full command
standard of balance

Too small to warrant a Command. A Bladelord at most

lion chariot

Yup

2x RBT

2xeagle

Excellent
Couple of new player mistakes here IMO. The archmage shouldn't be in any danger to warrant the defensive items, and the Gem of Sunfire, while fun, is not the best use of the DM's 'reckless' rule.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

To be fair PA some quite decent players take the Talisman/Robe combo.

Wouldn't do it myself though. I'd go for something more like the kit-out you suggest.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#5 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

SpellArcher wrote:To be fair PA some quite decent players take the Talisman/Robe combo.
And I've still not worked out why... If the Archmage is in combat, you're doing it wrong. Not to mention the waste of magic potential - which this list relies on.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah it's very commital and I'd have nightmares about him getting combat-res'd.

Far more fun to pick the spells you like and blast away! :)
soulweaver

#7 Post by soulweaver »

sorry i couldnt reply sooner
archmage
lvl 4
talisman of saphery
jewel of the dusk
folariaths robes

If you're doing the Archmage, do it properly. He dosen't need this much protection, and should be taking items to maximise his magic ability - Seer Staff (Silver wand is better on the DM), Ring of Fury and a couple of dispel scrolls
you may like your mage to have more offensive items i like my mage to have more defensive items

noble
dragon armour
the white sword
enchanted shield

Can't take the enchanted shield as the WS is two-handed. Mask of Merlord is good.
thanks for that i forgot :oops:

dragon mage
lvl 2
guardian pheonix
gem of sunfire

Too obvious. Lose the gem, it achieves nothing really. Give him the silver wand, as it gives him so many dice.
might give him golden crown and silver wand

15 spearelves
full command
lion standard

Need to be bigger - at least 20
guess i could use my sea guard models

10 archers

Sure

19 pheonix guard
full command
banner of sorcery

Good

9 swordmasters
full command
standard of balance

Too small to warrant a Command. A Bladelord at most
i read other places that a larger group attracts too much fire power

lion chariot

Yup

2x RBT

2xeagle

Excellent
spellarcher: i pretty much went over everything above
[i]Of creations most foul I beheld the Lord of All and knew that I was dead.[/i] [i][size=75]~ Inquisitor Brand[/size][/i]
[i]I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived. [size=75]~ Willa Cather [/size][/i]
[i]Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. [size=75]~ Steven Wright[/size][/i]