2250pt High Elf list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

ducky11

2250pt High Elf list

#1 Post by ducky11 »

Prince 627pts
Star Dragon, Star Lance, Vambraces of Defense, dragon armour, shield

Mage 175pts
level 2, 2 d. scrolls

Mage (begins with SM) 185pts
Level 2, d. scroll, sacred incense

10 Spearmen 90pts

10 spearmen 90pts

14 Swordsmasters 265pts
full command, banner of arcane protection

20 Phoenix guard 390pts
full command, banner of sorcery, gem of courage

20 Phoenix guard 375pts
full command, war banner, Dragon horn

Eagle 50pts

Total: 2247pts

after 1 test battle I think I like this army in principle however, I have some qualms. There is no fluff at all, something I hope to rectify, and beyond that idk i feel so cheap taking 40 phoenix guard in a game under 3000 pts.

Any feedback would be most appreciative.
madelmo

Re: 2250pt High Elf list

#2 Post by madelmo »

i've never liked having mages with swordmasters. it hurts the damage output that the unit slaps out. that and swordmasters + mage make too juicy of a target against shooty, even with the SI.

i also think u need some more support for your star dragon prince. you have lots of anvil units and not enough hammers. i'd swap out a unit of pg for dp's.
jimma

#3 Post by jimma »

The prince, why star lance? do you really need str 7? get some defense insteed.

2 x 10 spearmen? what are these supposed to do?, you are better off with archers even if they cost a little more.

2 x 20 PG's? well you have a pretty static CC army but only a dragon to outmanuvre your opponent with?

Consider chariots, and dragon princes for speed.

And shooting, some will be needed.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#4 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

ducky11 wrote:Prince 627pts
Star Dragon, Star Lance, Vambraces of Defense, dragon armour, shield

No need for the Star Lance, The Dragon provides the S7. Take a Halberd, Armour of Caledor, Vambrances of Defence and Gem of Courage - much more effective.

Mage 175pts
level 2, 2 d. scrolls

Scroll caddies should be Lv 1

Mage (begins with SM) 185pts
Level 2, d. scroll, sacred incense

Lv1 again. Two level 2's are not gonna be a strong magic offensive, so if you want that, get an archmage. Otherwise, lose the levels. Lose the Sacred Incense as well, as he shouldn't be on a front line units.

10 Spearmen 90pts

10 spearmen 90pts

10 spears, as min core, achieve nothing. Spend the extra 40 points, and take archers. They'll do something at least.

14 Swordsmasters 265pts
full command, banner of arcane protection

Lose the command. These are to kill, not win through static combat res.

20 Phoenix guard 390pts
full command, banner of sorcery, gem of courage

20 Phoenix guard 375pts
full command, war banner, Dragon horn

If you really want... I'd drop a unit for some Dragon Princes and a Bolt Thrower or two.

Eagle 50pts

Total: 2247pts
No RBT is a mistake, as is the lack of DP's. Aside from the Dragon, you have very little punch.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks like too few units to me. Agree with the guys that you need RBT's. I'm not quite so anti-the spears but if pushed I'd probably go with archers, or maybe LSG.

Prince Asuryan has a point about the magic. I think if you're going to go for it, swap Sacred Incense for Seerstaff and add in the Silver Wand on the other guy. That way you're much more likely to get useful spells for efficient use of power dice. Though I'm overall not sure if you can afford Medium Magic with a Star Dragon. I refer back to the lack of units again.

Overall I think you need to drop at least one of the elite infantry units, I'd drop two. Use the points to buy cavalry and RBT's I suggest.
Lord Anathir

#6 Post by Lord Anathir »

2 lvl2s with sorcery isnt a bad phase. I'd also keep the 2x10 spears, they're not bad units at all and bows are a complete utter waste of points.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
ducky11

#7 Post by ducky11 »

The one test battle I had was against a lizardmen army with a 3rd generation slan mage and I was able to blunt almost all of his spells and even had some minor successes in the magic phase myself thanks to the banner of sorcery. The units of phoenix guard performed admirable quick sand units, the units of spearmen kept him from flanking me with small units of ranked skink or skirmisher skinks. the eagle managed to keep a unit of cold one cavalry out of combat until the last 2 turns of the game through march blocks the swordsmasters got into combat only having sustained 2 casualties and the dragon did what he does best and slaughtered everything in its path including a stegadon mage combo in one turn.

That being said I can certainly see how against many armies the dragon alone may not be enough of a hammer. I def think I might take out a unit of my elites in favor of some cavalry or something like that. My plan was for the mage to leave the unit before combat because there was no need for them to be the chargers. However I can see the flaws with this and I think removing the command squad and giving the mage an arcane item and putting him somewhere else might definitely be better.

Thank you all for the suggestions they have been most helpful and of course any others would be most appreciated as well.