My HE Army List (750pts)

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mandrall

My HE Army List (750pts)

#1 Post by Mandrall »

Hi all!

Here is my HE army list:

Mage 150pts
Upgrade: lvl 2
Items: Jewel of the Dusk

Spearmen 146pts
Upgrade: Champ. and Standard Bearer
Unit size: 14

Archers 154pts
Unit size: 14

SMH (Swordmasters of Hoeth) 194pts
Upgrade: Champ. and Standard Bearer (with War Banner)
Unit size: 10

RBT (Repeater Bolt Thrower) 100pts

Total Points: 744

This army list are used when I'm playing with someone at Gamework Shop. But it is not always I have this kind of troops. This is a new army list that I'm going to try with.
Can a Mage lead a warhost? Cause I have always added 1 Noble to my 750pts army list, but this time I will try out without it and only have my Mage as a genaral. I want the High Magic spells mostly, that's why a skip the Noble so I can add more core or special units instead. As you can see the item I added for my mage, can make it harder for the opponent to dispel the spell cast, if you know what I mean.
Well thats all I can say, some advice for what I could add or disadd would be nice.
MadassAlex

Re: My HE Army List (750pts)

#2 Post by MadassAlex »

If I were you, I'd do these things

1. Take the Standard Bearer and Champion away from the Swordmasters. Reduce their size to 7. You save 83 points this way.

2. Reduce the Archers to 10. This saves you 44 points. In total, you've now saved 127 points.

3. Increase the Spearmen to 20 and add a Musician. Costing 59 points, this brings you down to 78 points.

4. Make another unit of 5 Swordmasters. Transfer one of the Swordmasters from the big unit to the small one to make 2 units of 6 Swordmasters. At this point, you've got 3 points remaining.

All in all, this gives you 43 Elves and a war machine to work with at 750 points. Not bad numbers, and you've got the offensive and defensive power to give most foes a run for their money.
[quote="Baleanoon"]How often does that 6+ ward do anything for you?[/quote]
[quote="Keith"]about 1/6th of the time.[/quote]
Mandrall

#3 Post by Mandrall »

Well this sounds wise for me, to make more regiments give me more offensive and defensive power, as you say. But the problem is that I don't have the 12 SMH :wink: . So I will have to create two unit with 5 SMH each, but then there is a risk that they will be very outnumbered. And for the Spearmen regiment, I just don't have the 20 Spearmen, but would a Lother Sea Guard count as a Spearmen? And also, how does it work with the mage as a leader, is it possible?
MadassAlex

#4 Post by MadassAlex »

Most people would allow you to use Lothern Seaguard to fill in the Spearmen unit.

As for Mages, they can join and lead units like any other character, but they have to fight in close combat with the unit.

It might be better to put the Mage in the Archer unit. That way, it can support the close combat units from a safe distance rather than getting cut up by the enemy.
[quote="Baleanoon"]How often does that 6+ ward do anything for you?[/quote]
[quote="Keith"]about 1/6th of the time.[/quote]
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

#5 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

MadAlex I couldn't of said it any better. The moment I saw that list I said Swordmasters to 6 or 7 , but you got there first. That list MadAlex is a very good 747 list.
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Mandrall

#6 Post by Mandrall »

Thanks for the reply Alex :) .
Chracian

#7 Post by Chracian »

Two units of SM are better, even if you have just five in each. Sticking to madassalex's list, you could promote one in each unit to a bladelord and also have enough points for a musician in your spearmen:

mage, as before 150 points
20 spearmen, full command (standard, champion and musician) 205 points
10 archers 110 points
5 swordmasters, bladelord, 87
5 swordmasters, bladelord, 87
RBT 100
739 total

Using lothern seaguard instead of spearmen shouldn't be a problem, they're basically the same anyway. Just stick them in the rear rank.

You can use a mage as your leader. The problems are low leadership (only Ld 8) and he can't or shouldn't get into combat. To counter the second problem, put him in with the archers as suggested, or with the RBT crew.

If you want to be really nasty in the magic phase, this combo at this level is difficult to cope with:
mage, level 2, silver wand, ring of fury, 185 points.
The ring means your opponent will have to use 1 or 2 DD each turn or suffer the consequences! Gives you a bigger choice of spells as well (4 including drain magic).
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
langbaobao

#8 Post by langbaobao »

Mandrall, here's a 500 pts list I've been using to great effect in the last few fights:

1x Mage, seerstaff, scroll
13x SM, full command, banner of sorcery
10x LSG
5x DP, standard, banner of elliryon
2x RBT

You could try to expand on it. At below 1000 pts shooting is very strong so keep that in mind. And yes, a mage can act as general.
--
[b]Tholwë the Enforcer[/b]
Defenders of Ulthuan Mapmaker

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cs6lk2j.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg6fohh.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/adjjyj.gif[/img]
[quote="harry"]fight in three ranks, eighteen ranks deep.[/quote]
Darvon

#9 Post by Darvon »

Edit: Never mind, I didn't realise MaxAlex wasn't the OP ;)