Because Its been alluded to 2250 Dragaon Mage

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Baleanoon

Because Its been alluded to 2250 Dragaon Mage

#1 Post by Baleanoon »

Archmage ( 360 )
Level 4
Seer Staff
Scroll X3
Gem of Courage

Korhil ( 140)

Dragon Mage ( 435 )
Level 2
Silver Wand
Ring of Fury or Golden Crown

10 Lothern Seagaurd ( 135 )
Shields
Mus

16 spearmen ( 184 )
Full Com
Lion Standard

6 Dragon Princes ( 215 )
Std; Banner of Ellyrion

5 Ellyrion Reavers ( 112 )
+bows
Mus

Lion chariot ( 140)

12 Swordmasters ( 280 )
Full Com
Banner of Sorcery
Amulet of Fire

Bolt Thrower ( 100 )

Bolt Thrower ( 100 )

Eagle

I'll post more on tactics and the like when I have more time sometime tonight or tomorrow morning.
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

Re: Because Its been alluded to 2250 Dragaon Mage

#2 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Personally, I say no dragon mage. It can't live long enough. But if you dont use Archmage, you can take...Teclis! :D :-# I'd take some extra units and mages instead of Dragon mage.
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Baleanoon

#3 Post by Baleanoon »

Malhandir's Feed wrote:Personally, I say no dragon mage. It can't live long enough. But if you dont use Archmage, you can take...Teclis! :D :-# I'd take some extra units and mages instead of Dragon mage.
Its a dragon mage army, its been put together for that purpose. And to be honest Teclis isn't that good.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
Lord Anathir

#4 Post by Lord Anathir »

Mike I'm not a fan of the dragon mage but you've got a nice solid list there. I'd be abit worried about your staying power, after the rbt and magic you've nothing for monsters of any kind really.

I'd go ring of fury on the dragon mage.

Korhil is okay but he can't be relied on all that much, he's not the most heavily armored guy out there. Maybe go 2x10lsg, drop korhil and get some white lions?
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Baleanoon

#5 Post by Baleanoon »

Lord Anathir wrote:Mike I'm not a fan of the dragon mage but you've got a nice solid list there. I'd be abit worried about your staying power, after the rbt and magic you've nothing for monsters of any kind really.

Korhil is okay but he can't be relied on all that much, he's not the most heavily armored guy out there. Maybe go 2x10lsg, drop korhil and get some white lions?
Ya I'm not his biggest fan either to be honest but it was put to me by Mile, so I figured what the hell. I've got it to work for the most part, I probably will drop the swordmasters in favour for white lions one day, if I ever paint them. They really do fit better in the context of the rest of the list.

I took Korhil because I was finding a bsb wasn't solving the problems with the Spearmen unit, to be perfectly honest. The more I tried not to include him, the more it seemed like it was bound to happen.

I've found with the DM taking up almost 500 points I've got to play a perfect game to make a for a win, or I'm looking at a draw or minor lose usually.

ajpieri

#6 Post by ajpieri »

Baleanoon wrote:
Lord Anathir wrote:Mike I'm not a fan of the dragon mage but you've got a nice solid list there. I'd be abit worried about your staying power, after the rbt and magic you've nothing for monsters of any kind really.

Ya I'm not his biggest fan either to be honest but it was put to me by Mile, so I figured what the hell. I've got it to work for the most part, I probably will drop the swordmasters in favour for white lions one day, if I ever paint them. They really do fit better in the context of the rest of the list.

I took Korhil because I was finding a bsb wasn't solving the problems with the Spearmen unit, to be perfectly honest. The more I tried not to include him, the more it seemed like it was bound to happen.

I've found with the DM taking up almost 500 points I've got to play a perfect game to make a for a win, or I'm looking at a draw or minor lose usually.
I have seen a lot of people mention BSBs in general. What is the deal with this? What banner do you mean? You just say BSB, but you have a host of banners to choose from. What is the most beneficial one?
dabber
Tactician

#7 Post by dabber »

ajpieri wrote:I have seen a lot of people mention BSBs in general. What is the deal with this? What banner do you mean? You just say BSB, but you have a host of banners to choose from. What is the most beneficial one?
No banner. Take magic items for combat.
Effectively the only banner a High Elf BSB ever carries is the "I win" banner (+d6 CR). He should never carry any banner but Battle Banner or World Dragon, and World Dragon is not generally very useful.
garythewargamer

#8 Post by garythewargamer »

baleamoon I like your list. Of course I like playing with the dragon mage because as you said you have to be a good general to use this list. You have plenty of support for the DM and there is only one thing that you need to remember.

The DM is the weak point of that combo. I am not saying that you can not use him in close combat but you have to be careful. Any challenge will basically kill you or remove the damage that the dragon can do.

I like using him as a flanker or rear charger especially after combat has been joined or with a combine front charger bonus.

One of the other posters said Teclis was worthless and I have to disagree with that. Yes he is expensive but he is deadly. My daughter ran a Teclis, DM and other mage list and she did pretty good with it. Unfortunately she did not learn finesse or the tactics of moving and facing.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#9 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Baleanoon wrote:Archmage ( 360 )
Level 4
Seer Staff
Scroll X3
Gem of Courage

Solid choice. Good defense while the staff lets him do whats needed.

Korhil ( 140)

Dislike SC myself. Get a noble with a BSB

Dragon Mage ( 435 )
Level 2
Silver Wand

I'd lose him, but if you keep him he's better off with the GP or the ring

Shields
Mus

Meh, if you want them. I think archers are a better choice, but these work

16 spearmen ( 184 )
Full Com
Lion Standard

Too small, bump them to 20

6 Dragon Princes ( 215 )
Std; Banner of Ellyrion

Good

+bows
Mus

Good. I like spears as well, but not sure where to get points.

Lion chariot ( 140)

I don't like chariots. Drop it to ellyrion for points, or get rid of it all together and get another 5 DP's by dropping one in the other unit...

12 Swordmasters ( 280 )
Full Com
Banner of Sorcery
Amulet of Fire

I'd drop the amulet - you have good magic defense already

Bolt Thrower ( 100 )

Bolt Thrower ( 100 )

Eagle

Standard.

I'll post more on tactics and the like when I have more time sometime tonight or tomorrow morning.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Marinero

#10 Post by Marinero »

I like your list, as I am a big fan of the archmage+dragon mage combo. My comments are in blue:
Baleanoon wrote:Archmage ( 360 )
Level 4
Seer Staff
Scroll X3
Gem of Courage

Solid choice.

Korhil ( 140)

If your group/tournament allows for him, then you cannot go wrong with that choice. Still, I feel a BSB with AoC and GW for 143 points is a better deal, as the re-roll of the break test can be crucial.

Dragon Mage ( 435 )
Level 2
Silver Wand

Tough choice. Still, I think you should go with the ring, to maximize his damage potential. However you really have to be careful with him.

My preffered set up for lvl 4+DM are: lvl 4 - seerstaff, ring of fury, dispel scroll, DM lvl2, silverwand, guardian phoenix, sword of might

Shields
Mus

16 spearmen ( 184 )
Full Com
Lion Standard

The spears size is too small, I would drop the LSG for archers, and bump the spears to 20

6 Dragon Princes ( 215 )
Std; Banner of Ellyrion

Good

+bows
Mus
Good choice. With spears and bows, they are multifunctional

Lion chariot ( 140)
A personal favourite of mine

12 Swordmasters ( 280 )
Full Com
Banner of Sorcery
Amulet of Fire
Swap the Amulet for the talisman of loec - then you have a mini nuke unit for 1 turn

Bolt Thrower ( 100 )

Bolt Thrower ( 100 )

Eagle

Pretty standard and solid rare selection

Good luck.
Baleanoon

#11 Post by Baleanoon »

A lot of you have posted your dislike for the lion chariot, and I haven't given a reason as to its inclusion. Its up for discussion, but here is my reasoning. Essentially the Lion chariot can be a pretty effective machine (not mine, I roll lost of ones, but I've seen it roll average and its pretty good), people often ask me what it does and I tell them 6 +d6 s5 hits. They raise their eyebows and move on.

Now how it fits in. There is going to be a turn where my DM needs to be in the open, its going to happen, if the enemy general is even a reasonable player. Here is where the Chariot comes in. I pt it directly in harms way, but in a dangerous position and make the enemy make a choice, take the combined charge of chariot plus cav or SM or whatever, or take a chance at the DM. Either way I win in this situation, He might kill the Dragon or mage, but I doubt he'll kill both in one turn.

About playing a perfect game, or as near as possible. I once lost my DM because I forgot to challenge. True story. I hate Foe-renders, at least when they aren't mine.

My area has a very liberal approach to army comp, so SC aren't a big deal, one of the hardest armies for my Elves to beat includes Gorbad, and I see Manfred more often than I'd like to. I'm kind of a lazy mathematician, so I'm unwilling to math this out, but I'm counting on Stubborn 9, immune to fear and terror being better than the re-roll. And the Spearmen unit actually comes out to 18 as both Korhil and the Archmage usually end up in that unit.

Now the amulet of fire. I usually would agree with Marinero and take the ToL. But at the insistence of the person who put this challenge on me I had to have multiple tools to deal with daemons :roll: The Amulet of fire is for dealing with the most common BT we see around here.

Lord Anathir

#12 Post by Lord Anathir »

Baleanoon wrote: Ya I'm not his biggest fan either to be honest but it was put to me by Mile, so I figured what the hell. I've got it to work for the most part, I probably will drop the swordmasters in favour for white lions one day, if I ever paint them. They really do fit better in the context of the rest of the list.

Mile loves the dragon mage and I have no idea why. its not like his dwarfs have any problems killing it or slowing it down. I remember him saying Jason took it once and it autobroke a couple of his machines.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"