What to add to my 1500 list?

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Lordy

What to add to my 1500 list?

#1 Post by Lordy »

Im playing some games this weekend at 2k, first time i have ever played 2k

I have always played at 1500 and my list is as follows

Dragon Mage Lvl2 415
Seerstaff

Chariot 85

20x Spearmen 195
Standard, Musician

10x White Lions
Standard, Musician 168

15x Sword Masters 255
Standard, Musician, Champion

5x Dragon Princes 180
Standard, Champion

2x Repeater Bolt Throwers 200

4 Power Dice +1 per spell
3 Dispel Dice

Total 1498pts

Now have 500 points to add but unsure what to do, i would like to keep the dragon mage if possible but that doesn't leave me much for a Lord character.

So i need help, what would you change/add if it was you?
ZehKaiser

#2 Post by ZehKaiser »

Add another mage, give him the seer staff and a DS. Give the DM the silver wand and guardian phoenix. +195

Add the War Banner to the spears. +20

Add the Lion Standard to the White Lions +25

Add the Banner of Sorcery to the Dragon Princes +50

Add the Standard of Balance to the Sword Masters +45

That's 335 points. That gives you another 167 to work with.

That means you need a 4th character. And that character is a BSB with a lance, DA, shield, barded steed, and Tamakador's Gauntlets. +168.

That should put you at 2001. If you need to drop something somewhere turn the BSB's DA into HA and you have 1999.

This is of course just a suggestion, but it means you only have to add 2 actual models and the rest is all in magic items. Not saying its the best, but it wouldn't be a bad start.

Good luck!
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
Lordy

#3 Post by Lordy »

Cheers for that, but that is an awefull lot of points of characters and items, is that the norm for 2k?
ZehKaiser

#4 Post by ZehKaiser »

I do believe it is pretty common. I always do. I look at it like this; If I'm going to spend so many points on my few fragile units, then its a good idea to spend the little extra (comparitively to the units's overall cost) to upgrade them further to prevent small things from taking them out.

For example, your white lions are a pretty good unit, but if you run into a fear causer who outnumbers you (very likely with today's environment and your low #'s) then the stubborn rule you pay a lot of points for is useless, but add another 2.5 points per model (in this case) to use the lion standard, and now your unit is completely immune to fear and terror and treats them like any other unit.

Your sword masters will appreciate taking away hatred and frenzy when you go up against DE's, DoC, WoC, and any fear/terror causing foes again.

After 15 models, spear elves are basically spending 45 points to add +1 to combat res (for an extra rank) adding the WB will increase your CR by another +1 and it costs less than half that!

Finally the Banner of Sorcery is indispensable to any decent HE magic phase. It is one of the "must have" items in a list. Normally I recommend the Banner of Ellyrion on DP's for their increased mobility and shock value, but you have no where else to put this bad boy, so here it goes. (normally I like the Banner of Sorcery on Phoenix Gaurd since they are already immune to fear, but that's just me.)

A BSB is also a must have for me these days, +1 CR and re-roll break tests is amazing. Play without one for a while and you'll see what I mean. This is easy to take for granted, so it is granted that I easily take one.

If you can make your blocks largely immune to the effects of fear and terror these days, do it, because you are faced with an aweful lot of it, especially with the two most powerful and popular armies out there being full of it. DE have a lot too and are prolly the 3rd most popular army as well as 3rd most powerful.

Just some things I've learned from playing them for 7 years.
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
garythewargamer

comment

#5 Post by garythewargamer »

I agree with the magical suggestions. The dragon mage does not get the +1 to dispell. You need a real mage or archmage to do that. Dragon mage gets the silverwand. Gives him another spell and remember about his free power die. All the other points raised are very valid. There is nothing more heartbreaking than announcing charges and having a unit fail its fear test. Now you are in a bad position.