Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:40 pm 

TL/DR – Growing Tired of WHFB picking up 40k Orks

So to be frank I have become a little tired of Warhammer Fantasy, I love the game and the miniatures however playing for fun and tournaments has become a little dull for me since essentially most of the “tactics” that I often see employed is Six Dicing “That Big Spell” and mopping up the remnants. Me running a MSU list has somewhat mitigated this but not really enough to keep me motivated to play the game much. I will still collect, build and paint my armies (High Elves and Orcs and Goblins) I just don’t see a lot of table time for me in WHFB after the tournament in March.

As a result of this I have decided to give Warhammer 40k a go, I have spent a good long while looking at the armies and the rule set and have decided that I will ignore all internet advice and go with my gut. Greenskins! (Surprise right?)

So the first instalment of the Tale of Four Gamers style of article is to come up with a 500 Point list with which I can play a few games and get my head around the system and rules, the list will be based on the contents of the Ork Battleforce box, I should have enough Spare Orcs and Goblins parts to be able to kitbash most other things that I should need but I will need to purchase a set of Warbikes to allow me to expand the Warboss’s Retinue and a box of Gretchin. I’ll also be purchasing the Codex in the first month as well as spreading the cost of the army build by picking up a second Trukk.

While this is all well and good in practise I do think that I need to have an “End Goal”, something to collect towards. Since I play Greenskins in Warhammer Fantasy I am under no illusions that this will get expensive mainly due to the army itself but also due to the fact that I want a fast, hitty, assault based (in other words Proper ) Greenskin force. 

The army is most likely to be collected and painted over the course of 2014 to give me some semblance of a break between painting High Elves as well as Fantasy Greenskins and 40k Greenskins. The army will also allow me to learn some new painting techniques as I have not played 40K I have never painted vehicles or models with such large expanses of flat surfaces, the closest to this that I have so far painted is probably my Giant.

Due to my planned escalation I aim to have a 1850 point list ready and painted within 9 months and everything purchased and built within 6, it is a fairly tight schedule but if I stick to the plan then I see no reason why I should not be able to complete this in time.

Paint Scheme

I plan to keep the armies paint scheme fairly simple with more attention paid to Characters (including Nobz) and Vehicles, I am initially thinking that the main colour of the army should be a dark red for a nice contrast to the Greenskin. The metals of the army I am thinking a dirty, oily Copper for a nice contrast to the Red and Green.

I can’t decide if I want to paint “Dagz” on the models, if I do so it needs to be a strong colour against the Red so Yellow is looking like a strong contender for these IF I go ahead and decide to paint them.

Basing

All too often I see the same old bases on Warhammer 40k models, they looks great on city ruin bases but it is the same Grey rubble time after time, I am thinking that I will change this up for my army by having small area’s of snow and dead grass on the base. An old ruin civilised world where nature has started to reclaim the battlefield and blizzards blow across the landscape. This will also give me the potential to make a display board of a ruin Imperial industrial area along with custom made terrain (again something I have not before undertaken so should be something that I will have to learn how to make)

1850 Point List – “The End Goal”

HQ: Ork Warboss – 135 pts
‘Eavy Armour, Cybork Body, Slugga, Power Klaw, Stikkbombs, Warbike

Elites: 7 Loota’s – 105 pts

Troops: Da Boss’s Nobz – 325 pts
5x Warbike, 4x Nob, Painboy, 5 x Cybork Body, 4x Slugga, 3 x Choppa, Power Klaw, Waaagh Banner

Troops: 12 Ork Boyz – 152 pts
Slugga & Choppa
Nob, Boss Pole, Power Claw
Trukk, Big Shoota, Reinforced Ram

Slugga & Choppa

Slugga & Choppa

Slugga & Choppa

Troops: 20 Gretchin – 80 pts
2x Runtherd

Fast Attack: Dakkajet – 135 pts
3x Twin Linked Supa Shoota’s, Red Paint Job, Fighta Ace

Fast Attack: 5 Stormboys – 82 pts
Stormboy Nob

Heavy Support: Big Gunz – 69 pts
3x Kannon, 6x Gretchin, 3x Ammo Runt

Heavy Support: Big Gunz – 69 pts
3x Kannon, 6x Gretchin, 3x Ammo Runt

Heavy Support: Looted Wagon – 105 pts
Boomgun

Each month I’ll aim to play 2-3 Games with the army at each stage to learn the game, my units and my opponents units and capabilities.

Month 1 - £150 Approximate

Purchases (all RRP, will aim for cheaper)

·         Ork Codex             - £20.00
·         Battle Force          - £65.00
·         Gretchin Herd      - £10.00
·         Ork Warbikes       - £24.00
·         Ork Trukk              - £22.50

500 Point List

HQ: Ork Warboss – 110 pts
‘Eavy Armour, Cybork Body, Slugga, Choppa, Stikkbombs, Warbike

Troops: Da Boss’s Nobz – 210 pts
3x Warbike, 2x Nob, Painboy, 3 x Cybork Body, 2x Slugga, Choppa, Power Klaw

Troops: 10 Ork Boys – 140 pts
Slugga & Choppa

Troops: 10 Gretchin – 40 pts
Runtherd

Remaining Models

·         10 Orc Boyz (To Be Used Month 2)
·         Ork Trukk (To Be Used Month 2)
·         2 Ork Warbikers (To Be Used Month 2&3)

The Aim here is to build a small starting force with as little investment as possible and also to spread the cost of the army over as many months as possible “flattening” the budget so that I can balance the Hobby against Bills, Birthdays, Weddings and all the other Real Life things that get in the way of my plastic crack addiction.

It will also allow me the opportunity to convert some of the models that are not provided in the Box sets such as the Warboss and Painboy who I should be able to kitbash from WHFB Orcs and Goblin bits that I have lying around. I also want to personalise the Warbikes a bit more, as this is the Warboss’s Retinue I think that it needs something special. Initially looking through my Bits Box I was lost for idea’s until I spotted a load of Wolf Skin Capes and Armoured Wolf Heads, now personally I don’t really like the Space Wolves and so I figured nor does my Waaagh’s inner circle plus I know a fair few Space Wolf Players at my local gaming circle so should make a nice centre piece unit for the army; it will also give me the chance to come up with some background fluff for the army and the unit and Warboss in particular.

Tactic wise I am thinking that the Warboss and Biker Nobz will form either a tar pit for any big nasty units that I see (Initially thinking Imperial Guard “Blobs”, Tyranid and Daemon Hordes etc.) and also as a nice mobile hammer in conjunction with the Trukk Mob. The Gretchin are included so that they can be placed into reserves and come on later in the game to hold my home objective and to afford them some degree of protection as the unit themselves is rather weak and puny (obviously really they’re Gretchin) basically a force to learn the rules with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 pm 

Quick (and rough) colour test

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:49 pm 

So after putting a considerable amount of effort into searching the internet, reading the rulebook and battle reports I have decided that I will amend the “End Goal” list to not only avoid Fine Cast Models (Big Gunz – Kannon’s) but also to stream line the army into a Kult of Speed direction which should allow me to further restrict my spending (because I failed to stick to my purchases already after less than a week!) while making the best use of the models that I purchase.

1850 Point List – “The End Goal”
HQ: Ork Warboss – 150 pts
‘Eavy Armour, Cybork Body, Slugga, Power Klaw, Stikkbombs, Warbike, Attack Squig

5x Warbike, 4x Nob, Painboy, 5 x Cybork Body, 4x Slugga, 3 x Choppa, Power Klaw, Waaagh Banner

Troops: Ork Boyz – 157 pts
11 x Slugga & Choppa, Nob, Boss Pole, Power Claw
Trukk, Big Shoota, Reinforced Ram, Red Paint Job

Troops: 15 Gretchin – 55 pts
Runtherd

Fast Attack: Warbikers – 190 pts
5x Bikers, Nob, Power Klaw, Boss Pole

Heavy Support: Looted Wagon – 115 pts
‘Ard Case, Boomgun

‘Ard Case, Boomgun

Month 1 Spend- £87.50 (Saving of £134.50)

Purchases
·         Ork Codex             - £5.00 (EBay)
·         Battle Force          - £32.00 (EBay)
·         Gretchin Herd      - £8.00 (Wayland Games)
·         Ork Warbikes       - £12.00 (EBay)
·         Ork Trukk              - £10.50 (EBay)
·         2 Leman Russ        - £20.00 (could not resist this deal For Spares or Repair- EBay)

I actually have a 1000 Point Army here with the purchases that I have completed (whoops) which looks like the below

Total Roster Cost – 995 pts

HQ: Ork Warboss – 110 pts
‘Eavy Armour, Cybork Body, Warbike

Troops: Ork Boyz – 145 pts
9 x Slugga & Choppa, Nob, Boss Pole, Power Claw

Troops: Ork Boyz – 145 pts
9 x Slugga & Choppa, Nob, Boss Pole, Power Claw

Troops: 10 Gretchin – 40 pts
Runtherd

‘Ard Case, Boomgun

‘Ard Case, Boomgun

So while this is not what I had planned it does mean that I do not have to spend as much in the following months and almost all of the purchased models will be utilised from the start, which is an improvement on the original plan.

Conversions Planned for Month
·         Magnetise Warboss Arms (Choppa/Power Klaw)
·         Painboy Conversion
·         2x Looted Wagons (Leman Russ Battle Tanks)

Remaining Purchases
·         30 Ork Boyz
·         5 Gretchin
·         2 Trukks
·         2 Warbikes boxes
·         2 Dakkajets

So it has become fairly obvious to me that I need to come up with a painting schedule that will allow me to keep track of what I buy as well as get a fully painted force on the game table in a quick order.

Month 1 Painting Schedule
·         Warboss
·         Warboss’s Retinue
·         Trukk
·         10 Ork Boyz (including Nob)
·         Gretchin

This should give the incentive to continue painting in month 2 where I plan on spending less money (hopefully none) so that I can get the 1k list painted. In future months I will have to balance painting more Boyz against Vehicles and other Mobz. Hopefully the list is diverse enough in the models that will keep myself interested and painting throughout the no spend periods. It could even lead me to take part in the monthly painting challenges and pledges here on Ulthuan.net.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 pm 

Hello there!
I recently quit playing 40k, well 3 years ago. I happened to play orks. I have been trying to sell them,99% are unpainted. I have many things in your list u might need.
A rough list:
100 boyz
20ish nobz ( assorted gear )
Big Mel w/ force field
War boss w/ power klaw
3-6 bikers
10 lootas
2 trukks
1 battle wagon
10 komandos
And a whole bunch of sprues!
If you might be interested in any of them, or want a more detailed list pm me.