Question about magic schools in Ulthuan

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Daelas of Avelorn

Question about magic schools in Ulthuan

#1 Post by Daelas of Avelorn »

Is the white tower of Hoeth the only one magic academy on Ulthuan or there are more magic academies all around the ten kingdoms and the White Tower is just the most important?
I was born in Averlorn, I grew up runing under the shadow of its trees, bathing in its rivers and dancing in the Everqueen's court so I will fight to protect and defend its beauty, I will fight for the smile of my Queen rather than fight for our Phoenix King's crown.
Shadow star

Re: Question about magic schools in Ulthuan

#2 Post by Shadow star »

I think mages from outside the Tower are trained more on a one to one basis (master and apprentice style)
[i]The shadow of war is cast long in the dying light of peace.[/i]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's probably a bit of both.

In the official lore, there is only mention of the white tower.

But it also mentions that all HE have a gift for magic, and that the most gifted of them end up at the white tower studying to become mage. Also, there is a fair bit of rivalry between the different kingdoms. I can't imagine that the other kingdoms want to be completely dependent on another kingdom for something as important as magic.

So there are bound to be other places of magical study in the different kingdoms. Though I suspect that for high magic you need to be in the white tower to study it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#4 Post by Aicanor »

Historically, White Tower is rather new establishment. It is safe to suppose that there were other means to study magic before it was built. And a mage like Caledor Dragontamer was not from Saphery at all, so I'd say they have no patent on magic education. I would think of Hoeth as the most prestigious 'university' out there.
Davariel
Chronicler

#5 Post by Davariel »

The Dragon Mages are a good example of a group of magic users exclusive to one of the other kingdoms, one that seems to have more to do with instinct and natural talent than academic training (and possibly has something to do with the dragons themselves?).

I like to think each kingdom would have its own magical traditions kind of like the Dragon Mages, e.g. Avelorn mages might draw on life magic, while mages from Nagarythe focus on shadow magic. That's just my speculation though :)