Anthem

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

AtomikBlast

Anthem

#1 Post by AtomikBlast »

Do the High Elves have an anthem?
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Anthem

#2 Post by Giladis »

No. They are medieval type vassal based country without many symbols of statehood as they are currently defined in the modern world.
AtomikBlast

#3 Post by AtomikBlast »

Any noteworthy songs or poems then? They must have had SOME art...
Daelas of Avelorn

#4 Post by Daelas of Avelorn »

I've found this in HammerWiki, I hope it helps

Once each decade, the High Elves hold the Festival of Light to celebrate Aenarion and remember his sacrifice. At dawn on the day of the festival, each Elf recites this verse:

"Brother spoke the four as one, together we shall rule,
Surrender to the Darkness within your heart you know holds true.

In his hand the Sword of Khaine did promise power untold,
As God of Light and God of Murder battled for his soul.

One by one the Daemons fell and Elf Lord he stood tall,
For should he fail upon his task then mortal world would fall.

Upon the isle beneath the fight, wise mages cast their spells
And Daemon minions howled in anguish, cursed to eternal hell.

And on this day we bow our heads to he who world did save,
Aenarion the Proud Defender, Aenarion the Ever Brave."
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

AtomikBlast wrote:Any noteworthy songs or poems then? They must have had SOME art...
One would assume there is plenty of that. Symbols of national unity would be much more rare. Each individual kingdom is bound to have some things of its own, but anything for Ulthuan as a whole would be less important. It's much more a confederation of nations than a nation made up of provinces.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Song and poems there will be enough I think. They are so universal that they are bound to have some. And any culture with enough free time (for at least part of the population) and enough education for significant parts of the population to be literate will be bound to have them written down. Both are the case for HE. So HE will have a lot of songs and poems.

There will probably be songs which show local variations between the different kingdoms. There will be local ones which pertain mainly to local events. And there will be ones which are kingdom wide. If I were to guess, then most of the nation wide ones will either be about the large victories (like the poem above about Aenarion) or about the everqueen. Both are universal enough symbols for HE.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.