High Elf real life inspiration + cultural questions

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

AtomikBlast

High Elf real life inspiration + cultural questions

#1 Post by AtomikBlast »

I've compiled a little quest to help me build my army a bit more.

-What religion are the elves?
-Would they have warrior-priest/bishop/monks of this religion?
-Is their king also head of the church (if there is one)?
-How important is their church (if there is one)?
-Would they have access to pattern welded blades?
-What are non-earth materials the elves own (any established-fluff ones, or is this up to each player)?
-What portion of other factions live in Elf-land?
-What is Elf-land called?
-Do women fight? I've not seen any female HE's except the rangers.
-What is the elven regal colour?
-How would homosexuality, incest, pederastry, drugs, arranged marriages and rape be viewed in High Elf society?

Thanks!
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: High Elf real life inspiration + cultural questions

#2 Post by Giladis »

Hi there and welcome to the site.

I'll try and anwser these questions the best I can.

AtomikBlast wrote: -What religion are the elves?
High Elves also knows as the Asur, just like the two other main elf factions have their own politheistic religion that is a mix of ancient middle eastern influencs and celtic influence.

Most of the various god cults within the religion have some kinds of hierarachy and some even have warrior scholars/priests like the Annointed of Asuryan or the Loremasters of Hoeth.

The elves do not have a unified "church" to speak of but several combined cults with their own hierarchy. That being said some personas of royal status are also heads of cults like the Everqueen.

Religion is important especially since gods have the power to interfere into the lives of mortal, sometimes even taking mortal form.

If I remember correctly it has never been stated directly but things reminiscent of Damascus steel have been described in the background.

-What are non-earth materials the elves own (any established-fluff ones, or is this up to each player)?
Ithilmar is a special metal harvested by geomancers at a single location in the world, situated in one of the elven kingdoms.

It depends on the faction. Dark Elves have thousands of slaves of various species, Wood Elves have some human servants, while High Elves allow non-elves only in a portion of their main harbour, which also currently serves as their capitol.

There are three main elven realms. Athel Loren for Wood Elves, Naggaroth for Dark Elves, and Ulthuan for High Elves. In addition Ulthuan is further subdivided into smaller kingdoms and princedoms. There are also smaller realms unrelated to the main three.

It again depends on the faction. Among the High Elves rarely, among Dark and Wood Elves regularly.

As far as I know there is none. Dark Elves always use purple which is part of their kings heraldry, Wood Elves are all in greens and browns while for a High Elf it would depend from which region the current king comes.

-How would homosexuality, incest, pederastry, drugs, arranged marriages and rape be viewed in High Elf society?
As far as I am aware homosexuality has never been addressed in the background.
Incest and pederastry are seen as sins.
Drugs are a vice.
Rape is a crime.
While arranged marriages are part of everyday life especially among the nobility. It has even been mentioned that some nobles envy the commoners being able to marry whom they fancy rather then those chosen for them by their families in their endles games of politics and intrigue.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

To those answers I would add, are you playing WFB, or W:AoS? Because everything above is great for Warhammer Fantasy Battle. However if you are playing age of Sigmar and want to use that background then much of that goes out the window. I'm not entirely sure what, if anything, it's been replaced with.
slothqueen

#4 Post by slothqueen »

I have several doubts about that schedule, mainly about last two points.

First, I've always see HE as very, very liberal society which provides great freedom for its individuals. Of course, it has history of moral collapse and cult-control program, but I have a feeling like elves take many behaviours unacceptable for humans, like homosexualism, polygamia, drug using or incest, as a kind of personal liking. It has even strong appeal in cannon fiction, with Tyrion sleeping with his own cousin (quite avowedly), Teclis and his two twin lovers, and Teclis' big interest in psychoactive substances.

Second one is about arranged marriages - I do not put faith in fact, that in such liberal society with high women equality marriages are arranged.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#5 Post by Aicanor »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:To those answers I would add, are you playing WFB, or W:AoS? Because everything above is great for Warhammer Fantasy Battle. However if you are playing age of Sigmar and want to use that background then much of that goes out the window. I'm not entirely sure what, if anything, it's been replaced with.
This is practically all we know about AoS Aelves. Compilation courtesy of Calisson over at Druchii.net.
Calisson wrote:All the warscroll compendiums have an insight to the future fluff, in the first two columns of the introduction, page 2:
DE: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources ... ves-en.pdf
HE: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources ... ves-en.pdf
WE: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources ... ves-en.pdf

Though they defend enclaves throughout the Mortal Realms, the greatest concentration of Highborn dwells in Azyrheim. Here they fight for Sigmar’s alliance, raising militia armies to hold back the tides of darkness.

Amid the forests of the Mortal Realms, aelven peoples roam at will. Travelling in nomadic warbands led by mighty heroes and mages, these wanderers deal swift death to their enemies wherever they may be found. The aelves of the deep woods are servants of order, with a strange bond to the sylvaneth.

Embittered and cruel, the aelf Exiles roam the Mortal Realms bringing death to every foe they meet. These swift and vicious warriors are ostensibly allies of Sigmar. In truth, they serve only the shadowy Malerion, and themselves. Emerging from the darkened places of the realms, the Exile warbands engage in lightning raids that leave ravaged corpses piled high in their wake. Then they vanish as quickly as they came, like smoke melting away on the breeze.

-=-=-

DE are all Exiles except the Medusa. [strike]Harpies[/strike] are no longer with them: they belong to Chaos. Note that CoB is the only priest unit.
HE are all Highborn except beasts and monsters.
WE are either Wanderers or Sylvaneth, except war beasts.

We now know more about the fluff of Azyr, the realm of heavens ruled by Sigmar, and the realm of Life where Sylvaneth dwell.

Highborns seem to be found mostly in Azyr, with enclaves in all other realms (Tyrion & Teclis could well rule Hysh, the realm of light),

Wanderers will probably mostly be found in Ghyran, the realm of Life (ruled by Alarielle) with Sylvaneth, and also everywhere in forests (well, one might wonder which forests can grow in some realms such as fire, metal or death?)

Exiles will probably concentrate in Uglu, the realm of Shadows with its 13 kingdoms (ruled by Malarion = Malekith + Seraphon blended together, and Morathi), and everywhere dark in all realms (might be difficult to find good spots in realm of Light or Fire).

All realms except Azyr being deeply ravaged by hordes of chaos.
slothqueen wrote:...with Tyrion sleeping with his own cousin (quite avowedly)...
It is not incest (at least not by our current law) although it is not common. And Tyrion's actions were frowned upon by the family. Again, not because of the fact, but because of political implications. Anyway, relative sexual freedom and arranged political marriages can exist alongside each other. We know little about inheritance laws of High Elves above Malekith being denied the Phoenix King title he felt he deserved. One of the reasons is Everqueen refusing to be married to her half brother. Highly ritual marriages of Phoenix Kings and Everqueens present a can of worms in itself.
Barnabe77

#6 Post by Barnabe77 »

AtomikBlast wrote:I've compiled a little quest to help me build my army a bit more.

-What religion are the elves?
-What are non-earth materials the elves own (any established-fluff ones, [url=http://%20www.shuttle-paris-airports.com/]transfers reims[/url] or is this up to each player)?

Thanks!
hi
it's a lot of questions, and lazy like me, it's hard to answer, it sure is not gay
Aerendar Valandil

#7 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

slothqueen wrote:Second one is about arranged marriages - I do not put faith in fact, that in such liberal society with high women equality marriages are arranged.
To add to that, the marriage of the Everqueen and the Phoenix king is a ritual one, being induced by fate and being chosen rather than love or attraction.
Tiranoci_Colonist

#8 Post by Tiranoci_Colonist »

slothqueen wrote:I have several doubts about that schedule, mainly about last two points.

First, I've always see HE as very, very liberal society which provides great freedom for its individuals. Of course, it has history of moral collapse and cult-control program, but I have a feeling like elves take many behaviours unacceptable for humans, like homosexualism, polygamia, drug using or incest, as a kind of personal liking. It has even strong appeal in cannon fiction, with Tyrion sleeping with his own cousin (quite avowedly), Teclis and his two twin lovers, and Teclis' big interest in psychoactive substances.

Second one is about arranged marriages - I do not put faith in fact, that in such liberal society with high women equality marriages are arranged.

I 100% would not consider High Elves to have a "liberal society". High Elves, like Elves in other fantasy universes, place tradition over everything. The High Elves would have traditions, in that any Elf that wants a shot to be someone in Elven society, are never broken. Such as ways to greet and speak to an Elf that is a higher rank than you. There are courtship traditions, ways to sit a table, ways to dress and act in public and private life, etc.

1. Women (outside of the Handmaidens and, of course, our Holy Everqueen, Daughter of Isha, Queen of Avelorn and of the Evercourt, Bane of Chaos, etc.) does not have as much societal movement to advance and by extension "rights" (as we would understand rights). For example comparing the extent of the Asari and Druchii, many women don't serve in the army nor hold many important positions in society.
  2. Marriage/sex with second and beyond cousins and having lovers are not rare, new, nor liberal in any society. Scandalous, but not liberal.
  3. Incest leads to inbreed traits (only humans would stoop so low to destroy their pedigree).
  4. Drugs and casual sex spread throughout society solely for pleasure without question could lead to Slaaneshi worship. The one thing Swordmasters are sworn to destroy. Teclis has two reasons to be interested in drugs. He needs them to function on a daily basis and he is a Loremaster. Learning is his job (and sending Chaos sorcerers back to the Shadow Realm).
  5. Polygamy leads to political confusion and disorder, in succession for example, and familial tension (who is the favorite wife/husband/child, etc.). (Just see Human History. There's a reason why the Church got rid of polygamy and priest marriages.)
  6. I think High Elven Society would be ok (individual Elves may disagree) with Homosexuality as long it doesn't interfere or contradict with rigorous High Elf society and/or the work of the High Elven Government (just like the Romans).

They are called High Elves for a reason. They see themselves as superior and act aloof. If a young liberal Elf comes along and destroys these traditions of old and, Asuryan forbid, lower themselves to the Druchii and Asari, they wouldn't be much of a High Elf.

Lastly, I would expect to have arranged marriages. No one succeeds in court intrigue with only "Love" and without arranged marriage alliances in any society. Just see Human history.
"With the thunder of hooves and the turning of our steel-shod wheels. We are death upon the wind. Bow in hand, ours is a vengeance rained down from afar; with tall spears held out to our foe's throat, cold fury guiding our aim, we are death upon the wind."
- The Battle Hymn of Tiranoc
Karak Norn Clansman

#9 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

One way of looking at arranged marriages through Elven eyes could be: "Love lasts a summer or comes and go like the tide, but blood bounds last forever."
Musashi

#10 Post by Musashi »

A conveniently open marriage, after the pair had done their duty, thought of Ulthuan, and produced a new brood to shore up the manpower pool.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.