Question about the Phoenix Guard

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Red Geist

Question about the Phoenix Guard

#1 Post by Red Geist »

We all know the Phoenix Guard lore. They are the chosen of Asuryan, sworn to magical silence, so on and so forth. But when the elf officially becomes a Phoenix Guard, does he or she give up all ties to former alliances? What if a group of Phoenix Guard still had loyalties to some high elf houses? Sure they know all pasts and all possible futures, but what's to stop them from serving a Prince or Princess in some political agenda, or on some altruistic quest?
John Rainbow

Re: Question about the Phoenix Guard

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I think per the fluff they give it all up. Try looking at the Caradryan character stories and stuff in the Army Book as I'm pretty sure he used to be an uppity prince that got converted to a PG.

This is from Lexicanum:
In his youth Caradryan was an arrogant lordling of Eataine1 p41, p71. Arrogant, handsome and powerful, he was the archetypal High Elf aristocrat. However, now he is the Captain of the Phoenix Guard - the chosen of the god Asuryan.1 p71
Caradryan made a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Asuryan, a task which all High Elf nobles are expected to do at least once in their lives. However, unlike other nobles, Caradryan had the arrogance to enter the holy Chamber of Days. No-one knows what he witnessed there, but when he emerged he had the glowing rune of Asuryan marked upon his forehead. The changed Elf abandoned his worldly possessions and took the vows of the Phoenix Guard that very day.1 p71
Caradryan's days are now spent meditating in the Chamber of Days, reading the fiery letters that spell out the past, present and future. Over the years he became more and more in-tune with the thoughts of Asuryan himself, until in the 221st year of the reign of Finubar the Seafarer (2384 IC) he was named as the new Captain of the Phoenix Guard. The previous Captain, Moraelir, willingly stepped aside in accordance with the will of Asuryan.1 p41, p71
In times of peace and in times of war, Caradryan leads the Phoenix Guard. He takes no orders from any worldly master and acts only according to the will of Asuryan. When the Lord of the Gods wills it, Caradryan takes to field of battle leading the Phoenix Guard and wielding the Phoenix Blade, an ancient halberd enchanted for the Captain of the Phoenix Guard Kor-Baelan.1 p71
Sources

1 Warhammer Armies: High Elves (7th Edition) p41 p71
Red Geist

#3 Post by Red Geist »

Then if High Elves were ever to fight other High Elves (political squabbles, assassinations, old feuds, etc.), why would Phoenix Guard take one side or the other? In the current book it says they answer only to Finubar. But who serves as the King's emissaries? The White Lions, or the Phoenix Guard?
Dalamar

#4 Post by Dalamar »

In that case the Phoenix Guard would follow what the chamber of days says.
draxynnic

#5 Post by draxynnic »

Strictly speaking, they answer to Asuryan and only Asuryan - however, the Phoenix Kings are given a mandate by Asuryan. (Even there, though, I suspect that the ritual is less about Asuryan genuinely approving of the choice, and more about Asuryan not violently rejecting a candidate that tried to cheat the system.) It may even be that they don't actually obey the Phoenix King, it's just that Asuryan tells them to do as the Phoenix King says...

...Sometimes.

On the whole, the PG mindset is part Chaos Warrior - except to a god of Order - and part Lizardmen in that they take their orders from prophecy more than they are like regular elves. And I suspect that any elf who isn't 100% Phoenix Guard in their loyalties just doesn't get into the Phoenix Guard.
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

As it seems relevant now, the answer to this might come up in the new End Times mythos.
Red Geist

#7 Post by Red Geist »

John Rainbow wrote:As it seems relevant now, the answer to this might come up in the new End Times mythos.
Point for me! I didn't even remember this thread when I read the End Times book. Though my question was more a Game of Thrones type thing where the Phoenix Guard could fracture into subfactions. It seems they think and act as one. No one sided with Imrik in the end, and no Phoenix Guard are flying Caledorian banners.