On the topic of Loremasters of Hoeth

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Red Geist

On the topic of Loremasters of Hoeth

#1 Post by Red Geist »

A paragraph tacked on to the Swordmasters unit entry isn't enough for me. Are there a set amount of Loremasters? Are they like the soul reaper captains in Bleach where each commands their own platoon of Swordmasters and get fancy white sleeveless coats as their badge of office?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: On the topic of Loremasters of Hoeth

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

There aren't really any answers to those questions. Loremasters didn't exist before the 8th edition army book came out. They also never featured in black library books or the WH roleplay books (as far as I know). So, besides the paragraph in the HE army book, nothing has been written about them.

Feel free to make up your own fluff of course.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Red Geist

#3 Post by Red Geist »

It's also odd because the word Loremaster is used now too commonly. There are loremasters who know every spell of a chosen lore, and there are now Loremasters that know every signature spell. So what does that make Teclis as High Loremaster. Of course I'll make up my own lore when necessary, but it's still confusing.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#4 Post by Domine Nox »

Teclis as High Loremaster obviously knows every spell, hence why he gets to pick and choose as he sees fit before a battle.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Francis

#5 Post by Francis »

Don't worry about the Loremaster fluff, it is just Mat Ward that made a fool of himself again. A loremaster is any high ranking high elf wizard from Hoeth his skill with a blade or magic focus does not factor into it, it is an academic title that was used way before the White Tower was built, not a brotherhood. The brotherhood is the Swordmaster which were created in order to protect the Tower. Teclis is the High Loremaster, the recognized most powerful mage in Ulthuan and the elected lord of the White Tower.

The word Ward should have used is "blademage" or "swordmage", he then should have connected their fluff more closely to the swordmasters, but since those names are generic GW had to come up with their own name so that they could copyright it.
Red Geist

#6 Post by Red Geist »

Francis wrote:Don't worry about the Loremaster fluff, it is just Mat Ward that made a fool of himself again. A loremaster is any high ranking high elf wizard from Hoeth his skill with a blade or magic focus does not factor into it, it is an academic title that was used way before the White Tower was built, not a brotherhood. The brotherhood is the Swordmaster which were created in order to protect the Tower. Teclis is the High Loremaster, the recognized most powerful mage in Ulthuan and the elected lord of the White Tower.

The word Ward should have used is "blademage" or "swordmage", he then should have connected their fluff more closely to the swordmasters, but since those names are generic GW had to come up with their own name so that they could copyright it.
Aww, would have liked the idea of some inner council of swordmaster mages. They would be the connection between the mages/archmages and the swordmaster legions. The way I thought the character was supposed to exist was that the Loremaster was the pseudo-named character for swordmasters. Just like Caradryan and Korhil are the heroes of the PG and WL, they decided to make one for swordmasters, and instead of making a named character they made it generic so there could be multiple, and for balance sake made him/her a lord choice.
Glorfindain

#7 Post by Glorfindain »

The fluff leaves that option open. The rank of Loremaster is attained by excelling in several fields of study (i.e. one Loremaster can be knowledgeable in cartography, alchemy, combat and languages). Your imagination is the limit. If you want your Loremaster to lead his personal army of disciples into battle go for it!
Francis

#8 Post by Francis »

Absolutely, just go for what you want. In my mind the Loremasters are Swordmasters who are trained to function as battle mages. They fight in the line and focus upon the easier more practical battle magic spells, and therefore know more spells but less powerful ones. They don't have the pure skill of Archmages who often function more as academics.

A normal mage or archmage would, in my mind, focus more on the academic side of spells, hence greater skill and more advanced spells, but a smaller reportoire. A swordmaster mage is as trained as a educated mage (2) but will be more focused on the practical aplication of battle magic, and will need a large number of spells in order to function in every situation.

As for magic lvls I think of them like this lvl 1= bachelor, lvl2=master, lvl3=Phd, lvl 4=experienced professors (which might explain from a fluff perspective why we see more lvl 4s than lvl 3s as the lvl 3s are busy teaching and publishing in order to keep their jobs at the Tower or the Imperial Colleges of magic :lol: ).