Creating army fluff, need help

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rowena

Creating army fluff, need help

#1 Post by Rowena »

Hi, I hope I'm in the right forum for this.
As the title says, I am creating fluff for a really strange army and would be very grateful for some help.

First question:
For the story, I'm going to need an elite High Elf unit that would be symbolic of Ulthuan as well as effective on the battlefield (They need to provide moral support as well as actual one). I was thinking of making up an expeditionary force of Asuryan's warriors at the time when Phoenix Guard mostly didn't leave the Shrine of Asuryan, one that would be loyal to Ulthuan as a whole (or the High Elf race as a whole, including the colonies), but much less strict and mysterious than Phoenix Guard.
Do you think it would be ok to do this? Or do you have any other ideas?
If it would help in any way, they are needed to assist a pre-Sundering High Elf colony, just before the beginning of the Civil War.

Second question:
I am trying to find more information on the vortex and presence of Chaos in the world. From what I understand, when the vortex was created, daemons ceased to exist, but there seem to be daemons now. Is the vortex functioning less than it used to (was it damaged by Malekith's idiot plan after all?) or does it only mean that there would be many more daemons without it?
Did they start appearing in any specific time and if so, when was this?

I may have more questions in the future as I make more progress with writing. Meanwhile, thanks very much for all and any help.
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Creating army fluff, need help

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Counts as units are great, make up a name, something based off the Everqueen rather than the Phoenix maybe, she is revered everywhere.
Everguard, I'll call them for now, just use them as PG and have fun. Helping colonies, where is this colony?
The Everqueen travels every now and again to a mysterious place to perform rituals to keep the massive chunk of Warpstone, people call a moon, in the sky.
Set the colony up around there maybe.

The Vortex drains the winds of magic from the world, this greatly weakens the Daemonic presence in the world but they still have some access.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Rowena

#3 Post by Rowena »

Right, I guess I should explain a bit more. :)
The army I'm making is based on a lost colony in the New World. We were isolated for some time from our mother land due to some heavy fighting and real bad luck, missed the whole Civil War and when we managed to reestablish contact, there were a few misunderstandings. The end result was that we were rejected by Ulthuan as Dark Elves and were too proud and felt too wronged to come begging.
The unit I want to create won't even be used in the army (except as statues of past heroes), but will be a very important part of our history.
That means it can be something that doesn't exist anymore, but I'm not sure this matters.

The idea with the Everqueen is definitely very interesting, I had not thought of that. I guess she would be more universal, being a representative of Isha (I hope) and all that...

And thanks for explaining the vortex. I thought so, but wanted to be sure. :)
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Shadow star

#4 Post by Shadow star »

I love that idea! Have you considered what their views on Dar Elves are?
[i]The shadow of war is cast long in the dying light of peace.[/i]
Rowena

#5 Post by Rowena »

Shadow star wrote:I love that idea! Have you considered what their views on Dar Elves are?
Yes, and I will mention that in my history as well. :)
Basically, we met, as we are neighbours, and at first we seemed like natural allies. Both angry with Ulthuan and all that... only then we found out more about our new friends. When we heard about the attempt to destroy the vortex, it was the last straw and there was no more chance of further friendship. Now we think they are insane and very dangerous. :)

(I should however say that we will be using the Dark elf armybook and the models will look more like Dark elves than High elves. But that's about the only thing that binds us to them, apart from the views of the rest of the world :) )

And thank you, I am glad you like it. *blushes*
My painting blog
Shadow star

#6 Post by Shadow star »

I know how hard it is ^_^ Still working on the fluff for mine :P
[i]The shadow of war is cast long in the dying light of peace.[/i]