Do we need two phoenix kings?

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Malossar
Something Cool

Do we need two phoenix kings?

#1 Post by Malossar »

I ask because it seems our royalty is constantly being killed off and leaving our great nation reeling from the effect. The Counsel of Princes is constantly reelecting our slain officials leaving a power gap between our rulers. Also, they tend to bounce between Warlike and Peacekeeper Kings. What if we had both?

It would make sense if we had 2 Kings and the Everqueen. One king would be our Warlord and High General. He'd be responsible for controlling the militaries of ulthuan as well as ensuring the citizen levy quotas are being met. His place is on the battlefield or on the open seas with the troops.

Our Second King would be to watch the home front, or our main ruler during times of peace. He'd watch the interior, raise taxes as necessary, comission buildings etc.

There wouldn't be a need to decide whether Ulthuan has need of Warlord or a Peacekeeper during each counsel. Instead one can take the fore during the times of peace and war.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Do we need two phoenix kings?

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I would rather see the Everqueen's power raised, the Phoenix King being the martial head of Ulthuan, and the Everqueen being the political leader.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I would rather see the Everqueen's power raised, the Phoenix King being the martial head of Ulthuan, and the Everqueen being the political leader.
That would match the everqueens fluff better.
Malossar
Something Cool

#4 Post by Malossar »

I see the Everqueen as more of our spiritual leader not so much holding political power, ie politics are beneath one so pure.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#5 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Both the Phoenix King and Everqueen are representatives of the gods, one Asuryan, and the Other Isha, the court of the Everqueen is supposed to be where the intrigue at court rule came from back in the day. So much backstabbing going on there they wear their breastplates backwards!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

thelordcal wrote:I see the Everqueen as more of our spiritual leader not so much holding political power, ie politics are beneath one so pure.
The 5e fluff on her describes her almost exactly as almost exactly as your homefront phinox king. Even to the degree of saying both thrones have equal power.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I don't think the problem is all that bad though. Looking at the timeline, Ulthuan has had 11 phoenix kings in almost 7000 years. Yes, there have been some short terms. but generally speaking I would say that 700 years isn't realy "constantly being killed off". Not realy much need to change it. And I think that what you are suggesting in effect is already in place. It just doesn't get written about much.

For instance, our current king is of the peacelike variety. So he uses a champion (Tyrion), to command his armies and do the fighting for him. The reverse is probably the case as well. When a king goes off to war, he'll leave someone in charge of the "boring" administrative stuff.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Musashi

#8 Post by Musashi »

If it's the Spartan/Roman model, the reason was both balance of power and in a war, span of control, as one King/Consul could be sent on a campaign, or if one dropped dead, the chain of command wouldn't be interrupted.

While it's never seemed concretely outlined, this form of dual monarchy does exist in the form of the Phoenix King and the Everqueen, with the safeguard that the next Queen should be the Phoenix King's daughter, providing sufficient genetic incentive not to try and embed his relations in positions they aren't suited for, as materialism doesn't seem a vice the High Elves would really fall victim to.

I think the role of the Phoenix King is to keep the lid on the Council of Princes, figure head, war leader and formulate and execute foreign and defense policy. The Everqueen would be more involved with the proletariat, as well as trying to influence the nobility in more subtle ways.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.